Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Validation taking too long

I was having issue with Quicken randomly shutting down I read that doing the validation repair was needed. It has been stuck in the validation please wait for 1yrs now. How long should it take ??

Best Answer

• Won2Won2 Member
    Accepted Answer
    Ok i think got it. I had to restore a much older file and that one seems to work. Weird that i was able to validated with no error but it still would crash

Answers

• Won2Won2 Member
    1hr not yrs LOL
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the validation still running?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 hour to run validation is probably a little too long, unless your data file is extremely large.
    Do you have recent Manual or Automatic Backups of your data file?
    If so, terminate Quicken with the Task Manager.
    Restart Quicken, then restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
    Once restored, perform the procedure shown in Step (2) of this webpage:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• Won2Won2 Member
    I was able to go back to 5-23-19 and get a back up restored that was able to complete the validation. I did not update all the entries and just moved around for one account to another and still the same problem program shuts down randomly so even with a valid copy and no errors its not working . Also i note that i thought i had been archiving past years but now notice i am seeing transactions for all the way back to 2010 WTH When i set the year end copy to only 2017 its still showing back to 2010
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @Won2

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration experienced.

May I ask, what version and release of Quicken are you using?

When Quicken shuts down - do you receive a dialogue window asking if you would like to submit a crash report?

Do you receive any type of error message or code just before Quicken shuts down?
       If so, what is the error message/code?

When opening Quicken, is it set to open to the Home Page or a different page such as an account register, bills tab or investment portfolio?

Please also visit https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7149937/faq-year-end-copy and review the information available regarding creating a year-end copy.

The transactions that are still appearing in the file, are they unreconciled, investment or transfer type transactions?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • Won2Won2 Member
    2017 vr R19.1
    I was able to get the year end to work properly after restoring a back up and bring that up to date.
    The file validation now works and show no errors.
    When the shut down happens there are no messages or crash reports .
    After it shuts down I am able to reopen quicken without any problems.
    It is set to home page.
  • Won2Won2 Member
    Accepted Answer
    Ok i think got it. I had to restore a much older file and that one seems to work. Weird that i was able to validated with no error but it still would crash
This discussion has been closed.