Hidden Accounts/Categories

Why as a long time user of Quicken am I punished for hiding accounts and categories? After using Quicken for more than 10 years i have accounts which close and categories that are not used or needed any longer. SO when this occurs Quicken gives you this nice little check box to "hide" an account or category. The only issue is that id DOESN'T WORK!. Accounts and categories still show in the account list drop down. So I did some testing to see if it's a new old old issue. As it turns out we as long time users are the ones suffering with this "BUG".

I created a new file with several new accounts and categories. Populated data for several months and categories, all looked good. I then went in a "hid" a few accounts and categories and what do you know, they were truly "HIDDEN".

So what does this mean... It means if you've used Quicken for any length of time and upgraded over time you can't truly "HIDE" accounts and categories.

QUICKEN PLEASE FIX THIS FOR LONG TERM USERS.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• NealTNealT ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Ok... Well after 2 hrs talking to Quicken Support it turns out that if the account was ever used as a "Transfer Account" it will always show in the Category List even if hidden. Doesn't make since to me but it is what it is.

Answers

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

More details, please.
    Do you use Quicken for Windows US or Canadian version?
    What version, edition level and release of Quicken are you using? 
    Click Help / About Quicken to get this information.
    What version of Windows are you using?

• NealTNealT Member ✭✭
    I use the US version, 2019, build 27.1.19.44, HB running on Windows 10.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using the file where the "Hide in selection lists" function doesn't work, perform Step (2) of

Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

As a workaround
    - make sure each of these old accounts that is closed at the bank is also marked closed in Quicken (use Tools / Manage Hidden Accounts)
    - rename all closed accounts and add a "~"(tilde) character to the front of each account name, e.g. "~ABC Checking"
    This will sort these accounts to the bottom of all alphabetically sorted selection lists and make it less likely for you to select them by mistake.

If that still doesn't make it work, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.
    Quicken Support:
    • To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
      https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support.
      Phone support is only available during posted business hours. The phone number can found at this website.
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018/2019 Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • To start Chat, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from the Community, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.
  • NealTNealT Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Ok... Well after 2 hrs talking to Quicken Support it turns out that if the account was ever used as a "Transfer Account" it will always show in the Category List even if hidden. Doesn't make since to me but it is what it is.
This discussion has been closed.