Check memo, address not updated.

I'm using Quicken 2019 Home, Business & Rental Property, Ver R19.44, Build 27.1.19.44. If I write a check, the address and memo fields of the memorized transaction are not updated. Check boxes Lock and Show on are not checked. Why won't the fields get updated?

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @bikerbert

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

If you haven't yet, please go to the Edit menu in Quicken and select "Preferences".

In the Preferences window, please select "Data entry and QuickFill" from the left side and on the right side, what options are selected?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • bikerbert
    bikerbert Member
    Sarah --

Here's the preference settings in my Quicken.

-= Bert Plitt =-
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hi @bikerbert

Thank you for the screenshot of the Preference settings. 

With the options that are currently selected, the updates to the memorized payee should be getting saved, however, may I ask, where are you writing the check from?

The Tools > Write and Print Checks window?  Or directly in the register?

If creating the check in the Write and Print Checks window, please try to create a check directly in the register for the account and let me know if the changes are then saved or if still no.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • bikerbert
    bikerbert Member
    Sarah --
    To answer your question: When creating a check in the check window (Tools > Write and Print Checks), changes to the memo field are NOT saved. When creating a check directly in the register, changes to the memo field ARE saved. BTW -- In earlier versions of Quicken (I don't remember how long ago it's been), changes to the memo field were saved when writing checks from the check window.
    -= Bert Plitt =-
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hello @bikerbert

Thank you for the response and confirming the behavior in the different windows.

If you haven't already, please go back to the Edit > Preferences > Data entry and QuickFill option and uncheck every box in the window.

Click OK to close the window and then go to the File menu > File Operations > Copy and create a copy of the file, in the copy file dialogue window please leave the information pre-filled and then open the copied file when prompted.

In the copied file, please go to File > File Operations > Validate & Repair.  In the validate window, mark the Validate File box only and click OK.

When the validation completes, please let us know if the Data Log reports any errors or fixed issues and then close and re-open Quicken.

With Quicken open, go back to the Edit > Preferences > Data entry and QuickFill and recheck the previously selected options and click OK.

Please then write a check from the Write & Print Checks window, changing the memo data and let us know if the changes are still not being retained

Thank you,

Sarah

• bikerbert
    bikerbert Member
    I unchecked all boxes in the Data Entry and Quickfill window, created a copy of the data file, and then ran the validation check. No errors were reported and 4 transactions were corrected (screen shot attached). I opened Quicken using the copied data file, restored the checks in the Data Entry and Quickfill window, and tried writing checks from the checks window. The memo (and amount) are still not being saved.
    -= Bert Plitt =-
This discussion has been closed.