Windows 10 1903 Update Protected Folders breaks Quicken

Since I installed the Windows 1903 (May, 2019) update a few days ago, Quicken has been hanging on load, or crashing, or function properly when it does load. I discovered that the culprit is Windows Protected Folders function, which prevents Quicken from modifying files stored in a protected folder like your user profile. Windows does not notify you when this blocking is happening. I'm not sure if this protection function is newly on by default in the 1903 update or if the Quicken executable has dropped off the list of what Microsoft considers to be "friendly" apps.

Adding qw.exe to the list of allowed apps fixes the problem. Other options are: move your Quicken file to a folder that is not covered by folder protection, or turn folder protection off.

Answers

• trurl63trurl63 Member ✭✭
    ..._not_ functioning properly...
  • trurl63trurl63 Member ✭✭
    Too bad the support tech I spent two hours with did not know this.
  • Dave HaughtDave Haught Member ✭✭
    edited June 18
    Yesterday, I updated to Windows 10, ver 1903. Quicken 2019, Ver R19.44, Build 27.1.19.44 now seems very unstable. It takes much longer to load than it did before the Windows update and the displays seems quirky. All my other apps are working fine. Quicken hasn't crashed or failed to load, juts seems like it's about to. Anyone else have this issue?
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday, I updated to Windows 10, ver 1903. Quicken 2019, Ver R19.44, Build 27.1.19.44 now seems very unstable. It takes much longer to load than it did before the Windows update and the displays seems quirky. All my other apps are working fine. Quicken hasn't crashed or failed to load, juts seems like it's about to. Anyone else have this issue?
    Did you check the Protected Folder setting of Windows? See the above discussions for details.
    Odd...it says IT administrator has restricted access. I don't have an administrator. It's my home computer. It won't let me access protected folders settings.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you running Quicken from a "regular" Windows User Account, one that does NOT have Administrator privileges? If so, you need to switch to an Administrator account to make the Protected Folders change.
    edited June 19
    UKR:
    Thank you. I went to accounts under settings and it says USER, Local Account, Administrator. Yet, I can't see where the protected folder options are when looking through the security settings. I am using Zone Alarm firewall and VIPRE anti-virus. I just don't see where to go to update the settings to allow Quicken to run without interference from Windows.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The links above provided by @UKR show the steps to enable/disable Controlled Folder Access in Win 10. 

I'm running the stock Windows Security and firewall with CFA turned off in Win 10 1903; Quicken runs fine.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, if you have 3rd party anti-virus software installed, Windows Defender is disabled and you can't change the CFA settings.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    GtG, et al:
    Thank you. Yes, I am using 3rd party firewall and anti-virus (ZA and VIPRE, respectively). And you are correct in that I can't change CFA settings; heck I don't even see Windows Defender. Since I am using 3rd party security apps, does MSW even check to see if QW is a "friendly app?" Is there a way to make QW a "friendly app?" The problem started only after applying MSW 10, update 1903.
    I upgraded both my desktop and laptop to 1903 and have no problem running Quicken on either though I use Norton Security. Are you receiving an error message? If so, can you post a screenshot?
    GtG:
    Thanks. I am not receiving any error messages. Quicken is running; it just seems sluggish, quirky, unstable. It is not operating as smooth as it did before the update to 1903. Do you know if having 3rd party security programs disables CFA? I assume it does since you can't modify Windows Defender with 3rd party security present. If that's the case, I don't know what would cause the performance issues with Quicken. If that's not the case (the CFA routine still runs despite 3rd party security), then maybe there is a conflict between CFA and the 3rd party security?
    Yes, 3rd party security software disables Windows Defender which in turn disables CFA. Have you tried making a copy of your Quicken data file from within Quicken and then opening that file?
    edited June 22
    GtG, et al:
    Based on performance issues with two other programs, I traced the issue to a conflict with Zone Alarm (ZA) Pro firewall. Once I removed ZA, all programs are running fine. I don't fully understand the conflict, but all seems ok at this time. I will either use Windows Firewall or the one that is in my anti-virus program, Vipre. Thanks to all for the help.
This discussion has been closed.