Questions marked as "Answered"

There are threads marked as "Answered" but they aren't.

When I come with an issue I often use the search and select the "Answers" check-box and get many "Answered" threads that have no answer. I asked about this here:
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20004459/#Comment_20004459

> dougp said:
> I'm a bit confused by the fact that the thread is tagged as "answered" but I can't find an
> answer that addresses the original question.
>Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser replied:
> It's a symptom of this forum platform. If anyone responds to a post, it shows as "answered".
> If an answer is accepted as the solution, it shows as "accepted answer."

This doesn't seem to be the case because there are threads with responses that are not marked answered. And, I even found one that had 0 (zero) comments that was marked as answered. I understand the "accepted answer" but if the "Answered" tag doesn't mean the question is answered, what good is it? There is a difference between "Answered the phone" and "Answered the question" and shouldn't the tag mean the latter?

Looking at this a bit more it seems there are a few SuperUsers and Quicken(users) who most often generate "Answered" even if their reply is something like "What version are you on?" That makes me suspect there is a "tick" available to the more priv'd users that we peons don't have. So, how does the "Answered" tag get created, and shouldn't it at least be consistent and meaningful?

Comments

• Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21
    I suspect the cases you're seeing, like questions with responses that are not marked Answered, were threads migrated from the previous forum platform.
    I am just adding this comment here. There is no extra "tick" for me to claim this is an answer. But this thread will now show up as Answered just the same. I don't like it, either.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • dougpdougp Member ✭✭
    RJ, the thread right below this one (now) shows 2 comments but no "Answered" tag (see attached) and it was started today (6/21/19) @ 6:13. So, what is going on? "Answered" should be like "...the question" not like "...the phone/test email/etc)" shouldn't it? Is there maybe more going on here than what either of us knows!? Is there maybe a setting someplace doing this? The way it is now, the tag is useless!
    You are correct, sir. I have no explanation.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Doug,

If the post is a 'Question' then any comment will flag the discussion as answered.

I do see how this can be confusing as it's meaning answered as in an answer has been posted in response to the question, but may not answer the question.

The screenshot shown above is a 'Discussion' discussions won't have an answered tag as comments on a discussion can't have an accepted answer as it is not a question.

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
    edited June 22
    @quicken_tyka  thanks for explanation. Is there any way for a user to visually distinguish between questions and discussions?
  • dougpdougp Member ✭✭
    Yes, very confusing. Since the number of comments is displayed, then the "Answered" tag seems redundant and useless.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Rocket J Squirrel,

The only way I see to be able to discern the 2 is the absence of the word question or answer. 

Below, the 'Remember Window Sizes' is a discussion. 

This does appear to be working as designed. 

One could create an Improvement suggestion at:
    https://community.quicken.com/categories/community-improvement-suggestions.

-Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka
  • dougpdougp Member ✭✭
    I'm not sure how this should work. Now, the 'Accepted Answer' depends on the OP to be satisfied (and care) enough to click Yes. Other than have a moderator or superuser review all posts and decide whether or not the question was answered, I haven't a clue. But for 'Answered' to just mean that comments>0 doesn't seem right.
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    This question will be sent to @Quicken Kathryn for review.

~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    dougp said:
    I'm not sure how this should work. Now, the 'Accepted Answer' depends on the OP to be satisfied (and care) enough to click Yes. Other than have a moderator or superuser review all posts and decide whether or not the question was answered, I haven't a clue. But for 'Answered' to just mean that comments>0 doesn't seem right.
    That is why many threads go without a real answer to the OP, simply because they appear as answered.  :-\

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • dougpdougp Member ✭✭
    edited June 23
    @smayer97 -- I'll bet you're right.
    People who come here to help probably won't waste their time with questions they think are already answered.
    People who come here because they're struggling with something probably aren't in a happy mood anyway so finding all of these false 'Answered' tags isn't likely to make them happier. (speaking from my personal experience)
    (added thought) The email notifications should be reviewed, too. Getting a notice that says '(user) answered your question' sparks a moment of happy too often followed by a big disappointment.
This discussion has been closed.