Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

My Quicken program will not open at bootup?

When I click onto the Quicken icon I get a page that asks if I am a new user or are Quicken files on my laptop. I then have to search for the most recent backed up file & click on it before the Quicken program will open. This has been happening for a few weeks. Until these last few week, when I would click on the Quicken icon, the program would open & ask for my password & then the program would open with the most recent file loaded. Can anyone help me to get back to the latter scenario please instead of having to search for the relevant file everytime I open Quicken? Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? What is the name of the file?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • trevor56
    trevor56 Member ✭✭
    Hi Greg_the_Greek, thanks for your time!

I'm not to tech savvy but I think below is the full path? Not sure how to find the file name?

trevor_201906151_20190618_20190619
  • trevor56
    trevor56 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I am confused, I don"t know what or how to find my "current data file"? Any guidance on how to find that current data file would be appreciated. Again thanks for your time.

PS: I don't know the difference between my "current data file" & "the most recent data file".
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I don't think I can help you. You should contact Quicken Support.
  • trevor56
    trevor56 Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > That's your Quicken data file name and it's too long. It looks like you opened a backup of a backup of a backup. You data file should be in C:\Users\\Documents\Quicken. You need to find your current data file (not the most recent backup) and move it to that folder. You should also rename it to just "trevor". You can then double click on the file to open it and Quicken will remember the location.

OK, so I changed the file names (including the .HCX/.IDX/.QEL/.QPH) to trevor, I made a new folder named Quicken, I added a new folder within the new Quicken folder & named it Backup, I moved my most recent Quicken files with their new names to the new Quicken folder, I clicked on the QDF file with the new name I had just added to the new Quicken folder, Quicken opened & asked for my password (Yaaaa), I entered my password & Quicken opened (Yaaa), I backed up Quicken using the path to the new Backup folder, I closed Quicken & then opened Quicken again & Quicken opened asking for my password (yaaa), I entered my password & Quicken opened (Yaaa). So far so good & thank you for your time!!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Glad you got it working. You should backup your Quicken data file to somewhere other than your local hard drive. I would suggest using a USB flash drive.
  • trevor56
    trevor56 Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Glad you got it working. You should backup your Quicken data file to somewhere other than your local hard drive. I would suggest using a USB flash drive.

I use Google Drive a cloud based backup that automatically & instantly backs up any new or changed files. Thanks again.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited June 2019
    You shouldn't have Google Drive automatically backing up your Quicken folder. That can lead to data file corruption. You should backup to a Google Drive folder.

https://www.quicken.com/support/errors-dropbox-and-other-online-tools
This discussion has been closed.