Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Why cant i sell stock by LOTS in quicken canada version

ahmad
ahmad Member ✭✭
Honestly, i am disappointed that this feature which has been in quicken since 1994, is not in the canada version.
I should be able to specify a lot when i sell a stock.
But i cant.
When can this bug be fixed please ?
I have requested it over a year ago....
Still not fixed.
Thanks

Comments

• ahmad
    ahmad Member ✭✭
    Hi,
    I dont see an option when selling a stock to specify a specific LOT.
    It used to be there since i had quicken for years.
    But since i switched to quicken canada. This feature is not there anymore.
    Why ?

Not being able to do that Is messing up my investment calculation
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Have you selected average cost as your basis? Versus FIFO? I thought Quicken Canada supported both.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • ahmad
    ahmad Member ✭✭
    i dont see that option from the first place...i went to preferences cant find anything to indicate this choice
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I will tag @smayer97 I think he has a CAD version of the software to comment on tax lots. Here is what the US version says for a sell transaction.

Quicken user since 1994.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Also, one more thing. Is there a box in the "Edit Security Details" that says "Average Cost"? If you can uncheck that if it exists, try that. After a backup of course.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • ahmad
    ahmad Member ✭✭
    many thanks dear...its good to know someone is replying atleast...
    no...there is no box for (average cost) in the security list details.....
    it is very regrettable this feature is not there in the canadian version
    i see no reason why NOT...since it is there in other versions !
    disappointing honestly :(
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Uncertain the tax rules in CAD it has been a while, but if the tax rules don't have capital gains reporting for the stock lot method not sure that Quicken will code it into the software.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • ahmad
    ahmad Member ✭✭
    Still. Why disable this feature regardless of Tax rules.
    It is affecting my internal calculation of my stocks.
  • ahmad
    ahmad Member ✭✭
    I @smayer97
    Replies to this.
    I have been a quicken user since 1994....and always used this feature
  • ahmad
    ahmad Member ✭✭
    hi....anyone can answer me here please ?
  • ahmad
    ahmad Member ✭✭
    this is very disappointing...i have been complaining about this for over a year and its not fixed yet...
    why doesnt the canada version have the same options as regular quicken to be able to specify a LOT when selling shares ?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that was confusing me when I read this thread too, especially since I didn't think the Mac version had Canadian support until recently

And to give an answer on this question:
    "why doesnt the canada version have the same options as regular quicken to be able to specify a LOT when selling shares ?"

Many years ago their was a decision to split off Quicken Windows US and Quicken Windows Canadian.  And for a time they even had different development groups.  So basically they "went their own ways" for quite sometime.  This had good and bad affects.  The multiple currency support is much better in the Canadian version than it is in the US version for instance.  But it also meant that certain features didn't get carried from the US version.

And I know you aren't going to like it, but there are by far more US customers than Canadian ones and so Quicken Inc/Intuit have always put more work on the US version.
    But I would have to say the Quicken Inc is doing more for the Canadian version than Intuit ever did.  It wasn't unusual for the Canadian version to get only one patch release about in May or April and that was it for that year version.  Now it was accumulative, so it was more than one of the US patches at the time, so that was something.  But they didn't even have a beta for the Canadian version.

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ahmad
    ahmad Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the brief history.
    But what does that say about this feature ?
    When can it be added to the canadian version ? And is there any work around ?
    Its completely messing up my stocks returns calculations.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @ahmad Sorry can't answer such questions, I'm just another user, and Quicken Inc seldom announces what they are or aren't working on, let alone a timeline.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. I'm not even a Canadian user, so I don't know what kind of workarounds would work.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.