A workaround for failure to open QFX file after downloading from bank

Using Quicken for Windows R19.52, I got an error message saying there was a problem opening a QFX file that I'd just downloaded from my bank, and suggesting I open it using File>Open Quicken File. However, the dialog that appeared did not include QFX files in the search list so that method fails. I confirmed that the file was present in my downloads folder.

I tried using File>File Import>Web Connect (.QFX) File and that method did work. It detected the file in my Downloads folder and Quicken accepted it - no errors apparent.

Should you encounter this problem, I suggest you use this method rather than following the guidance in the error message.

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • mdminearmdminear Member
    I have recently installed QUicken 19 on newer Windows 10 machine. Did updates. But not able to move QFX files into proper account just by clicking them Get error message. thought this was suppose to be fixed after 19.44 with 19.52?? Doing it on Capital One, Chase and others. did do that 'manual file OPEN import and got it to work but very cumbersome.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your Windows File Association settings to verify QFX is associated with Quicken.
    all set to Quicken Windows looks good

seems to be flaw in one of last updates
    mdminear said:
    I have recently installed QUicken 19 on newer Windows 10 machine. Did updates. But not able to move QFX files into proper account just by clicking them Get error message. thought this was suppose to be fixed after 19.44 with 19.52?? Doing it on Capital One, Chase and others. did do that 'manual file OPEN import and got it to work but very cumbersome.

What led you to believe the QFX import issue was supposed to be fixed in 19.52?

If you haven't already, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding- I always found it more convenient to open the website from within the Quicken account register, download the file and let the browser prompt to open it which then loaded to the account. There was an issue for a while in MS Edge with SmartScreen activated; it prevented the QFX from loading so it had to be disabled.
    I've been downloading online with quicken for probably 15 years... Given everything in IT even phones is online or downloadable in year 2019, hopefully system engineers will get this bug ironed out quickly. I used MS Edge... But also tried downloading file with internet explorer with same error code.
    mdminear said:
    I've been downloading online with quicken for probably 15 years... Given everything in IT even phones is online or downloadable in year 2019, hopefully system engineers will get this bug ironed out quickly. I used MS Edge... But also tried downloading file with internet explorer with same error code.
    Or, you could perform the clean uninstall, install and update as I suggested 2 days ago.  
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7