Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken won't open after dl and installation of R19.44, R19.52 and mondo patch

I'm running Win10, and am current on their updates.
Quicken won't open for me. When I click on the program icon, I see the Q badge flash on the screen, and the icon in the task bar has a line under it, signifying that Quicken is running, but no window ever opens. I think this started after R19.52, but I've tried so many things that I'm afraid I no longer remember what happened when.
I installed R19.44, and then 19.52, and just this morning I ran the US mondo patch. Overnight I ran the new Win update.
In Task Manager, Processes shows Quicken Windows (32 bit) w 60.6MB of memory in use, 0% disk, CPU and Network.
I've tried clicking on the PDJ.QDF file that shows in the list which appears when i right- click on the icon in the taskbar, but nothing happens.
I was able to make a back-up after R19.44, and I also followed the process for to install 19.52.
I need some help, please.

Peggy

Best Answers

• Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I came to check out R19.55 and realized I hadn't come back to thank you for all your help. You and Greg_the_Geek were very clear and patient communicators.
    You're the best

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Do you have multiple monitors? 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    Nope, only the one.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    If you hold the cursor over the Quicken icon in the taskbar, do you see the Quicken window?
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    Yes, but it's entirely gray except for a small white rectangle in the upper right corner.
  • Greg_the_Geek
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    If I right-click on the little window, I get the list of recently used files, but nothing happens when I try to open any of them. Regular-click does nothing.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    At the bottom of the post that I posted the link, click on "Post is buried, click here to show the rest" and follow those steps.
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    That's the post that has me change the name of the Quicken folder in Documents, then start Quicken, right.
    I changed the name in Documents. Then right clicked on a shortcut to qw.exe in Program Files (x86)\quicken\qw.exe, then clicked on that file. Nothing happens, but when I point to the Q icon in the taskbar (which is underlined again, designating an open file), the little window that displays shows a minimized Quiicken window, but now the background is all white.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Are you stopping Quicken before following the steps in the workaround that I posted? Why are you right clicking on a shortcut to qw.exe in Program Files (x86)\quicken\qw.exe? Just double click the shortcut on the desktop to start Quicken.
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    Yes, I right-clicked on the Q icon in taskbar and clicked 'close window'
    I right-clicked on the shortcut to confirm where the program file was located. then I went to that place and clicked it to open.
    I just repeated shutting Q down, then clicked on the desktop icon to open Q. Looked at the little window again, and it is once again all white.
    So it didn't start Quicken, just the 'badge' then nothing
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I know it sounds simple but have you tried restarting your computer lately?
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    I did the Win update last night and restarted after that, but I will do it again now. Never hurts.
    Well maybe not never.
    Restarting
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    I'm back. I got a message from Windows pointing me to Security settings for my UserName, telling to change anything that says 'Deny' to 'Allow'.
    For 'This PC' , 'Administrator' , 'User'. Everything I could see says 'Allow', so I didn't change anything.
    Actually, the message window was from Quicken.
    I didn't change anything, but I haven't left that screen yet.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Can you post a screen shot using the Windows Snipping Tool?
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    yes, of the security settings window?

hmm, don't know how..
    I see an 'image.png' just below this reply window.
    Is that what you asked for?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Close Quicken and delete C:\Users\PJones\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Data\QW.RMD.

Then try starting Quicken again.
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    It sure looked like it was going to work.
    I also restarted Windows after I deleted that file. When it came back, I clicked on the Q icon on my desktop. It ran for many seconds, then showed the logo, then a more detailed version of the logo, then it stopped. the small window shows a Q window, with the screen all white.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    It still seems like you multiple displays enabled. Can you post a screen shot of the Display Properties in Settings?
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    Can I put more than one image on here? I am using snip & sketch to copy and then paste into the window, but I can't get it to take more than one?
    Should I send this one, then reply again?
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    I think that's basically all under Display. If I missed something, I will do more.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    How about Advanced Display Settings? Also, right click on the Quicken shortcut and choose Properties. Make sure Run: is set to Normal windows.

• Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    and yes, Run = Normal window
  • Greg_the_Geek
    If you click the down arrow next Display 1, is there anything listed.
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    just the same text, highlighted
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    I'm feeling pretty bad about using up your entire morning. I'm retired so I've got all day, and tomorrow too.
    That is probably not true for you. :(
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    And even if you happened to be retired too, doesn't mean that you don't have better ways to spend your time.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I'm retired as well. Last shot at fixing the problem.

1. Download the latest Quicken installation file from quicken.com and the R18.16 Mondo Patch.

2. Use QcleanUI to remove Quicken (Ignore Step 2).

3. Reboot computer.

4. Enable Airplane Mode so there's no Internet connection.

5. Run Quicken installation program but don't launch Quicken.

6. Disable Airplane Mode.

7. Start Quicken and sign-in with Quicken ID and password. Should be R14.23.

8. Install the R18.16 Mondo patch and Start Quicken.

You're now running Quicken Subscription R18.16.
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    ok, here I go. Looks like it might take a little bit of time, maybe. Not familiar with several things there.
  • Peggy103
    Peggy103 Member ✭✭
    So sorry, but I'm back.
    I can't find a way to dl the latest Quicken installation file or the R18.16 mondo patch. I found each of them on Q.com and they're clickable. If I right-click those I get that abbreviated Windows menu (Select all/Print/Read Aloud/View Source/ Inspect Element), but neither seems to be dl'able.
    I did get QcleanUI into the New folder. And I understand I have to download but not run those two files before I turn enable Airplane Mode.
  • Greg_the_Geek
This discussion has been closed.