Quicken for Mac keeps crashing

After the most recent update, Quicken for Mac is crashing after using it for a very short time. I seem to be able to only make changes to one or two transactions before it crashes.

Best Answers

• mskeltonmskelton
    Accepted Answer
    Apologies for not responding sooner, but I have not had the time to do any additional testing. It seems to be working better after a restart as I was noticing some similar behavior in Microsoft word. Not sure what caused it or if it will happen again, but it seems better for now. If I have another issue, I will reach out to support more directly.

Thanks for the help!

Answers

• Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello mskelton. Appreciate your question..

Are you using the most recent version 5.11.1? We might need to have you contact Quicken Support so that we can look into the issue further and work towards a resolution to your issue. 

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold..
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few reports of users experiencing Quicken crashing frequently with the 5.11.1 update. It's apparently not widespread, but you are not alone. This sounds like what you're describing.

I strongly suggest you wait until after the weekend and use telephone support. they can connect to your Quicken to see exactly what you are seeing, and to then direct you exactly what log files they need you to send in to have the engineers look at the problem. Persistent crashing problems are typically viewed as a top priority to diagnose and fix.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mskelton You should report the crashing problem directly using the Report a Problem option on the Quicken Help menu. You won't get any response from posting there, but it's the most direct way to get it to the developers. But if the person who reads your report can't replicate the problem, it may not go anywhere. This is why it's important for anyone having they problem to report it -- the more similar reports they get, the better the chance someone at Quicken will realize there's a bona fide problem.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thx for the update.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Quicken MarcusQuicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for reporting this issue.  We investigated this crash and it appears that the AMD Radeon video display driver is crashing or causing the crash.  At least this is what our crash logs are showing.  Specifically, the crash log points to this driver: AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.  The people running into this crash are using the following machines: MacBookPro11,5 / MacBookPro13,3 / MacBookPro14,3 / MacBookPro15,1 which probably use that video chip. 

I can't imagine that every Quicken customer running the above machines are crashing since there have only been 59 people reporting the crash.  My assumption is that we would see a lot more crashes.  This leads me to believe that it's a combination of things that is the root cause of the problem: Quicken, the above machines, the video driver and one other application or hardware device.

We see the crash on versions 5.10, 5.11 and 5.11.1 so it doesn't appear to be related to anything we added to 5.11.1 but since some customers are only seeing it after we launched 5.11.1 possibly it's something else they loaded on their machines on or after July 1st when we shipped 5.11.1. For those of you running into this issue, do you remember adding anything to your computer around 7/1 or are you crashing on a specific screen in Quicken?  I'm not sure there's anything we can do in Quicken to fix the issue since it looks like the video driver is the culprit but obviously, we'd like to fix it if we can so we need more specific details.  
    MarkShusterman said:
    Resolved. Support had me sign out of Quicken and then back in. Seems to have fixed the problem. At least so far.
    I just read that your problem was solved.  I'm guessing it's not the issue I was chatting about above since I doubt signing out and signing back in would fix it but maybe it does.  Let me post this on the other threads about a crash.
  • MarkShustermanMarkShusterman Member ✭✭
    Perhaps I should have qualified my answer. I haven't used Quicken enough yet since yesterday to know whether the problem has truly been resolved. All I can say is that the app hasn't crashed yet in perhaps 10 minutes of use, whereas previously it seemed to crash every minute or two. Entirely possible that this is simply coincidental and I'll continue to see the crashes with more use.
  • MarkShustermanMarkShusterman Member ✭✭
    BTW my machine is running an AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB graphics chip. And it's a mid 2015 15" retina MBP.
  • mskeltonmskelton Member
    Accepted Answer
    Apologies for not responding sooner, but I have not had the time to do any additional testing. It seems to be working better after a restart as I was noticing some similar behavior in Microsoft word. Not sure what caused it or if it will happen again, but it seems better for now. If I have another issue, I will reach out to support more directly.

Thanks for the help!
    We've been brainstorming more and looking at our code and we think the video driver could crash because of our attachment feature.  The attachment feature uses old technology that Apple has recommended be replaced with the latest version of this software.  If this is the culprit, our plan would be to fix this in 2 phases.  The first would be a low-risk fix that we could ship quickly that would basically only load that technology when an attachment is displayed.  Our hope is that this would isolate the crash to viewing attachments instead of crashing all the time when just viewing one's accounts. The second phase would be to replace that old technology but this will take a lot more time to create and test. We're not sure phase 1 works since we've never been able to replicate the issue in-house but I've asked a number of customers who reported their crashes to us to try the new version.  I'll report back their findings.

mskelton and MarkShusterman, I just sent copies of Quicken to you both to try.  It sounds like the issues you were running into may be fixed so it may not be a good test but let me know if you see any ill effects of the new version.  It's possible its a memory thing and if you reboot your Mac things are cleaned up and will start working.
This discussion has been closed.