Memo/Notes Questions in Registers (Q Mac)

Is there some setting that will stop Quicken for Mac from automatically entering the last Memo/Note and Category entries used in a specific Payee's entry?

Most of the time this is not an issue - but when I forget to enter say an Amazon purchase and the registry entry happens via downloading the credit card, Quicken just copies the category and note from the preceding Amazon Payee register line in that account.

Comments

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not currently. But the renaming rules feature they have promised for the next release might address this.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the mean time, if you option-tab (instead of tab) out of the Payee field when editing a transaction, it will clear all the remaining fields.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
    @RickO When editing a transaction? Yes, Option-Tab is helpful when entering a new transaction, to get Quicken not to use the info for the Payee's previous transaction. But I can't make it work when editing a transaction. Am I missing something?
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, you're not. I could have sworn that it worked whenever you left the payee field, even on an existing transaction. But it doesn't work for me now, I either I was just wrong or it went away at some point.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4
    Payee renaming rules in other versions of Quicken have been just that...renaming Payees. There may be other related features released that address the other fields but I would expect those to be separate features. 

In QM2007, the only feature that would come close to addressing this is to lock a "QuickFill" transaction so all fields never update and any manual entry copies all the fields into the new entry. 

We'll have to see what they deliver on this front.

Meanwhile, you can add your VOTE to Have Local Rules for Renaming Payees and to Add ability to LOCK a payee and categorization.

First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a few seconds for your vote to register).

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    The Mac product manager has said that new functionality forthcoming in the near future will address both payee renaming and saved memos/splits, aka memorized transactions, aka QuickFill transactions. Here's what he wrote in March of this year:
    I think what most are asking for are renaming rules and memorized transactions.  I can't say when this feature will be added but let's just say beta users will be able to test something that will make people in this forum post pretty happy in the not too distant future.
    edited July 5
    jacobs said:
    The Mac product manager has said that new functionality forthcoming in the near future will address both payee renaming and saved memos/splits, aka memorized transactions, aka QuickFill transactions. Here's what he wrote in March of this year:
    I think what most are asking for are renaming rules and memorized transactions.  I can't say when this feature will be added but let's just say beta users will be able to test something that will make people in this forum post pretty happy in the not too distant future.
    Says nothing about memos/notes, so anything beyond what is said is pure conjecture. let's not confuse memorized transactions with memos/notes... Like I pointed out, and all that is said, is that there will be renaming rules and memorized transactions.

And based on the design of other Quicken products, this means renaming of Payees and saving, locking, etc. of transactions, implying QuickFill-style management, which by the way does not manage memos/notes beyond simply locking them or not.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

I think we're getting far afield from the original question, with too little specific knowledge to accurately speculate on. All I was saying is that if they do implement something like memorized or QuickFill transactions -- which the product manager has indicated they are working on -- that would be a likely solution to the original question. In Quicken 2007, if you memorize a transaction with no Memo/Note, and you re-use that QuickFill transaction, it comes in with no Memo/Note -- which would fulfill the request of the original post above. Since we don't yet know exactly how this functionality will be implemented, how about we (please) let it go at that for now?
    We are kinda saying the same thing BUT I am not getting far afield. 

The OP:
    "Is there some setting that will stop Quicken for Mac from automatically entering the last Memo/Note and Category entries used in a specific Payee's entry?"
    Your initial reply
    "Not currently. But the renaming rules feature they have promised for the next release might address this."
    My reply:
    "Payee renaming rules in other versions of Quicken have been just that...renaming Payees."
    Your reply:
    "In Quicken 2007, if you memorize a transaction with no Memo/Note, and you re-use that QuickFill transaction, it comes in with no Memo/Note -- which wouldfulfill the request of the original post above. 
    This is NOT a renaming rule feature but a transaction locking feature, which would prevent the memo/notes fields from changing (and could be locked as blank). Your first reply was to state that the solution could be part of the renaming rules.

Renaming rules are not the same thing as locking a "QuickFill" transactions. These are 2 different features, though they may work in tandem. So, I am simply clarifying the difference and adjusting expectations.

OMG! Yes, memorized transactions could be different from Payee renaming rules. My point was that the product manager addressed them both in the same sentence. He said "what most are asking for are renaming rules and memorized transactions" and you quoted it and stated: "says nothing about memos/notes". But memorized transactions does address memos/notes. We don't know how or when this feature will be delivered, but if/when it is, it may provide a solution for the question the original poster asked. Now can we let it go?
    edited July 5
    We are more or less talking about the same thing but not sure you are understanding the nuance I am differentiating.

To be more precise, your first reply was inaccurate in addressing the OP's issue and the second reply quoting Marcus does not really clarify anything more because it lacks detail. 

So hopefully the OP will understand my intention to clarify information and adjust expectations.

This discussion has been closed.