Frequent crashes Q Mac Version 5.11.1 (Build 511.25673.100)

MarkShustermanMarkShusterman Member ✭✭
Hi. Is anyone else experiencing constant crashes on the latest Mac release? Running OS 10.14.5 (18F132). Quicken is crashing after nearly any action - almost impossible to use.
Tagged:

Comments

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark, have you contacted Quicken Support? I'd definitely suggest doing so. (If possible, wait until after the weekend so you can call telephone support; their agents can connect to your Quicken and view your screen so they can see exactly what is happening, which is much easier than describing it to a chat support representative.)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MarkShustermanMarkShusterman Member ✭✭
    Thanks. Haven't yet - they're closed. Will call them Monday.
    Yeah, sorry I can't offer more advice because I'm not experiencing this, and it doesn't seem to be widespread... but I have seen one or two other posts about crashes with 5.11.1, so there may be some specific issue in a data file which causes it, or with a specific version of macOS. 
    Here's another user reporting what sounds like a similar problem. (That's actually good; multiple users with the same crashing problem is better than being the only one having a problem which might be unique to your data file.)
  • MarkShustermanMarkShusterman Member ✭✭
    Thanks. Will contact Quicken Monday. I doubt it's just my issue. Appears to be a buggy release.
    You should also report it directly using the Report a Problem option on the Quicken Help menu. You won't get any response from posting there, but it's the most direct way to get it to the developers. But if the person who reads your report can't replicate the problem, it may not go anywhere. This is why it's important for anyone having they problem to report it -- the more similar reports they get, the better the chance someone at Quicken will realize there's a bona fide problem.
  • Quicken MarcusQuicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for reporting this issue.  We investigated this crash and it appears that the AMD Radeon video display driver is crashing or causing the crash.  At least this is what our crash logs are showing.  Specifically, the crash log points to this driver: AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.  The people running into this crash are using the following machines: MacBookPro11,5 / MacBookPro13,3 / MacBookPro14,3 / MacBookPro15,1 which probably use that video chip. 

I can't imagine that every Quicken customer running the above machines are crashing since there have only been 59 people reporting the crash.  My assumption is that we would see a lot more crashes.  This leads me to believe that it's a combination of things that is the root cause of the problem: Quicken, the above machines, the video driver and one other application or hardware device.

We see the crash on versions 5.10, 5.11 and 5.11.1 so it doesn't appear to be related to anything we added to 5.11.1 but since some customers are only seeing it after we launched 5.11.1 possibly it's something else they loaded on their machines on or after July 1st when we shipped 5.11.1. For those of you running into this issue, do you remember adding anything to your computer around 7/1 or are you crashing on a specific screen in Quicken?  I'm not sure there's anything we can do in Quicken to fix the issue since it looks like the video driver is the culprit but obviously, we'd like to fix it if we can so we need more specific details.  
    I was just reading through the other threads that Jacobs sighted in another thread and in one of them they mentioned signing out and signing back in fixed their crash so I wanted to make sure I mentioned it here.  I don't think that would fix the issue I mention above about the video driver but you never know.  Please respond back if that fixed the issue for those reporting the crash in this thread.
    We've been brainstorming more and looking at our code and we think the video driver could crash because of our attachment feature.  The attachment feature uses old technology that Apple has recommended be replaced with the latest version of this software.  If this is the culprit, our plan would be to fix this in 2 phases.  The first would be a low-risk fix that we could ship quickly that would basically only load that technology when an attachment is displayed.  Our hope is that this would isolate the crash to viewing attachments instead of crashing all the time when just viewing one's accounts. The second phase would be to replace that old technology but this will take a lot more time to create and test. We're not sure phase 1 works since we've never been able to replicate the issue in-house but I've asked a number of customers who reported their crashes to us to try the new version.  I'll report back their findings.
    Thanks to all of you who have tested the special version of Quicken to see if it addressed the crash. The fix appears to work. There actually appears to be two ways to fix this crash. 1) Reboot your Mac. I've had a few reports from customers that rebooting seemed to work or 2) Install version 5.11.2.  It's not an"official" release but if rebooting your Mac doesn't work and you continue to crash constantly it's worth a try. Click here to download 5.11.2.  
This discussion has been closed.