Reconciling A Fidelity Cash Management Account Balance

I recently switched from Wells Fargo to Fidelity and using the Cash Management Account as my primary checking account. When I go to reconcile, there is no option to reconcile to the online balance even though the linked investment account is set up that way? There is something very confusing and wonky about the way this is working in Quicken. I had a similar account (daily sweep into a money market) at Wells Fargo and had zero issues - it behaved just like a checking account should in Quicken.

Best Answer

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Fidelity Cash Management Account is a brokerage account and brokerage accounts do not support reconciling to an online balance even though they offer the option on the Online Services tab and even though we're viewing the cash in a checking account. 
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @[email protected] Please do Tools, Account List ... and click on EDIT adjacent to your Fidelity brokerage account that you're discussing.
    Is "Show Cash in a checking account" marked YES?
    If not, do so.
    If so, you should be able to reconcile the checking account that doing so created, just the same as any other checking account.  My "checking account" at Fidelity is actually a money market fund ... but by treating it as a checking account I get all of those many cash transactions into their own account.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • I followed the steps to set up the account with Quicken as recommended by Fidelity . The linked account is set up for online updates - which it is doing. I am just not seeing it in the reconcile function. As I mentioned, I had a similar Cash Management account at Fidelity that "behaved" just like a traditional checking account in Quicken.

I may just start over since there are only a handful of transactions.
    "I followed the steps to set up the account with Quicken as recommended by Fidelity"
    That  didn't answer a single one of my questions.
  • >
    > That  didn't answer a single one of my questions.

I wasn’t trying to answer your questions. Before setting up the account I searched Fidelity’s site for information about Quicken integration. I created the account consistent with their recommendations, which include the things you mentioned.

I was hoping to hear from users who have a Fidelity CM account and first-hand experience using Quicken with it. (I have been using since the DOS days and familiar with basic functionality and troubleshooting.)

Kurt
    >
    > That  didn't answer a single one of my questions.

I wasn’t trying to answer your questions. Before setting up the account I searched Fidelity’s site for information about Quicken integration. I created the account consistent with their recommendations, which include the things you mentioned.

I was hoping to hear from users who have a Fidelity CM account and first-hand experience using Quicken with it. (I have been using since the DOS days and familiar with basic functionality and troubleshooting.)

Kurt
    You did hear from a user who has a Fidelity CMA and has first hand experience using Quicken with it.  
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    And that Q user who has a Fidelity CMA would be me.
    Besides  being a Q SuperUser, I'm also a client in Fido's "Private Banking Group"
    NotACPA said:
    Besides  being a Q SuperUser, I'm also a client in Fido's "Private Banking Group"
    @NotACPA  You'd be the second user who has a Fidelity CMA that responded to this query.  Please confirm whether you're able to set the reconcile of the checking account to Use online balance or not.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • jeez... Just to confirm from my OP. The account is set up correctly to reconcile to the online balance, but the reconcile function is not treating it that way. Since I have only had these Fidelity accounts for a couple weeks, I will delete them and re-add. There are only a handful of transactions (roll-over IRAs, transfer cash, a few deposits and a few drafts).
    Sherlock said:
    NotACPA said:
    @NotACPA  You'd be the second user who has a Fidelity CMA that responded to this query.  Please confirm whether you're able to set the reconcile of the checking account to Use online balance or not.
    AAAHHH,  somehow I originally missed that "Use online balance" distinction.
    And, I concur with @sherlock that such isn't possible with a brokerage account ...  even  one  with "Show Cash in a checking account" marked YES.

This discussion has been closed.