Cannot open Quicken 2016 qdf file

I am trying to open a Quicken 2016 data file (in Quicken 2016). I get "Recalculating Investment Account values", then I am asked to sign in with my quicken id. I get "Success" then nothing. I have tried troubleshooting options suggested on this site, but nothing works. I cannot get to the Edit -Preferences option because the file does not open. I can only get out of the situation by clicking the top right close button, and waiting about 30 seconds, after which the window closes.

I have tried a fresh install of Quicken Home and Business 2016 on a different computer, but, when I try to open the file (and several earlier files that were previously backed up), when I reach the "Sign-in with your Intuit ID", I get "An unknown error occurred. Please try to connect later".

Some of the solutions offered in this forum involve the installation of a "19.xx" patch. I presume this is for Quicken 2019, which I have not purchased, and do not intend to purchase. I do not need to update my Quicken data after March 2019, but I DO need to be able to access the historical data therein.

I should also add, that a second, completely independent qdf file opens fine, without any Intuit ID prompt. The most obvious difference between the 2 files, is that there are no investment accounts in the second file, so no stock data requested (and, hence, no need for "Recalculating investment account values"!).

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Thanks.

Best Answers

• Greybat
    Greybat Member
    Accepted Answer
    I found the problem! It's called "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Security. Part of Ransomware Protection, by default it doesn't allow programs to write to special folders. Once I added QW.exe to allowed programs, I could open the qdf files from the Documents\Quicken folder.

(May not be a full solution, since I am still having some problems on another Win10 V1903 laptop with this feature disabled.)
  • Greybat
    Greybat Member
    Accepted Answer
    There all solved now. Thanks again for your help.

I only landed on the Controlled File Access explanation by accident. I was trying to save a scanned file at around the same time, and got messages saying "File does not exist". Well, of course it doesn't - I've only just scanned it! In any case, CFA seems one step too far for my home security. Just setting it up properly would be a nightmare, and, touch wood, my important data is already backed up seven ways to Sunday!

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can down the R7.2 Mondo for your Quicken 2016 from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatchescanadian.html.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Greybat
    Greybat Member
    First of all, thanks very much for such a quick response. I have had some success, but not without issues......

1. I downloaded and installed the patch you recommend on the "new install" I mentioned earlier, which is actually a VirtualBox Windows 7 machine. This proved to be successful, and I am able to access my qdf files on the Win7 box.

2. Encouraged, I then installed the patch on the host machine - Windows 10 V1903 (which may be a mistake!). Nothing changed - still just the "success" screen.

3. I tried several other things, including uninstall, reinstall. In the end, I ended up where I began - stuck on "Success" screen.

4. On a whim, I went to the File History backup folder, and tried to open the latest qdf backup from there (this morning). After removing the Read Only attribute, the file opened perfectly.

5. I copied the file back to its original location. It would not open. I copied it to a new folder in original (Documents) folder. It would not open. I created a new folder outside Documents (which I don't have in the default Users folder), but on the same drive. It opened perfectly.

So it looks like something has got messed up relating to the original "Quicken" folder in Documents. I seem to have found a workaround, although I am not sure why! I also have a workable backup solution in the Win7 Vbox machine.

Thanks again for your help. I hope these rather detailed explanations of what I did will help someone else.
  • Greybat
    Greybat Member
    Accepted Answer
    I found the problem! It's called "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Security. Part of Ransomware Protection, by default it doesn't allow programs to write to special folders. Once I added QW.exe to allowed programs, I could open the qdf files from the Documents\Quicken folder.

(May not be a full solution, since I am still having some problems on another Win10 V1903 laptop with this feature disabled.)
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to suggest checking for Controlled Folder Access. What other type of problems are you having?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Greybat
    Greybat Member
    Accepted Answer
    There all solved now. Thanks again for your help.

I only landed on the Controlled File Access explanation by accident. I was trying to save a scanned file at around the same time, and got messages saying "File does not exist". Well, of course it doesn't - I've only just scanned it! In any case, CFA seems one step too far for my home security. Just setting it up properly would be a nightmare, and, touch wood, my important data is already backed up seven ways to Sunday!
This discussion has been closed.