Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Corporate Acquisition of a Canadian Company by a US Company

Goldcorp was acquired by Newmont. When I try to use the transaction, it will not allow as one is Canadian and one is US. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• Ray Wilcock
    Ray Wilcock Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    That was the extension that came up when I set Newmont Goldcorp up. Should have been DY. Nevertheless, because I own Newmont under the symbol nem, I will try using that one. Thanks for commenting.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    How  did you try to input the US stock into Q Canada?
    And HOW did you try to input such transaction?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Ray Wilcock
    Ray Wilcock Member ✭✭
    I used "Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock). Entered the "Company acquired" as Goldcorp which I own. Entered the "Acquiring company" as Newmont Goldcorp Corporation (NEM.DP) which I had to set up. When I got to the end, it would not allow me to exchange Canadian shares into U.S. shares. It stated "Please select a security whose currency matches the currency of your account." Thus, I assume I will have to use two transactions and nullify any capital gain or loss that may result. I guess Quicken cannot handle these types of transactions.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    What does that .DP  as part of the NEM symbol indicate?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Ray Wilcock
    Ray Wilcock Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    That was the extension that came up when I set Newmont Goldcorp up. Should have been DY. Nevertheless, because I own Newmont under the symbol nem, I will try using that one. Thanks for commenting.
This discussion has been closed.