American Express Not Downloading

American Express is not downloading. I've deactivated and then set up the downloads again but still get the same error message. It's Download Error (-28).

Quicken, please resolve.

Best Answers

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hello Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to report this error to the Community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

American Express is currently undergoing website maintenance and connections to add/update accounts using Quicken Connect/Express Web Connect connection methods is unavailable.

For more information and to be automatically notified once access is restored, please visit https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856922/new-07-16-10-american-express-credit-card-returns-error and "bookmark" the Alert by clicking the Yellow Star Icon in the upper right corner.

Thank you,

Sarah

Answers

• Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Charles. Appreciate your question.

When did you first experience the error?

Have you tried Deactivating and Reactivating your American Express account?

Please let us know so that we can best help you further. We are available to resolve this issue without your input.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • SofiaGBSofiaGB Member
    edited July 14
    Hi - Trying to download transactions from Amex account and I keep getting this error message. I tried to just create a new account and see if that worked - but it is still not working. Need help!
  • CharlesCharles Member ✭✭
    Yes, I tried that and it did not work.
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you connecting with Direct Connect? If you are using Quicken Connect, you should try switching to Direct Connect and see if that fixes it.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7612661/faq-how-do-i-choose-direct-connect-in-quicken-for-mac
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • mhcarlson46mhcarlson46 Member
    I'm getting the same error message trying to download American Express and direct connect isn't an option-any other options to resolve?
  • bingobarbarabingobarbara Member
    Having the same problem. Direct connect is not an option
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you trying to connect to American Express for your credit card or to American Express Bank FSB for other accounts?
    AmEx (credit card) offers Direct Connect.
    AmEx FSB only offers Express Web Connect and Web Connect.
  • BobKernsBobKerns Member
    Mac, Amex card, Quicken Connect, and it's been happening since 6/19.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BobKerns said:
    Mac, Amex card, Quicken Connect, and it's been happening since 6/19.
    If you haven't done so already, switch to Direct Connect following @RickO 's advice above. It's more reliable and not subject to AmEx making changes to their website.
  • tuber311tuber311 Member
    I was experiencing the same issue. When I changed the login type from Quicken Connect to Direct Connect, I was able to successfully download American Express credit card transactions. Hope that helps.
  • toddsymondstoddsymonds Member ✭✭
    I've got the same comment...direct connect is not an option.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @toddsymonds Just curious why you say Direct Connect is not an option. I was pretty sure Amex offered it to all customers at no cost. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Birgit1Birgit1 Member ✭✭
    @jacobs - I am having the same error message using most updated version of Quicken 2017 on Mac. Shows last attempt to download from Amex on 7/12/19. Unable to choose Direct Connect because when I click on the Connection Type, it doesn't give an option to choose anything different and instead goes straight to the set up account window where it asks me to choose my banking institution. I've done all of the troubleshooting available and I'm guessing this is a quicken issue at this point.
  • Birgit1Birgit1 Member ✭✭
    Should also add, I'm trying to connect to American Express credit card, so I'm choosing the first option at the top of the list.
  • rangersixrangersix Member ✭✭
    My American Express account will not update. I think I've tried everything to get it to work. Is American Express blocking us.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version of Quicken? What type of AE account? How are you connecting?
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    American Express Delta Gold SkyMiles. I have always used Quicken Connect. The other option Direct Connect is lock out.
    Version 5.11.1 (Build 511.25673.100)
    macOS 10.14.5
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's how to choose Direct Connect:

Choosing Direct Connect
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hello Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to report this error to the Community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

American Express is currently undergoing website maintenance and connections to add/update accounts using Quicken Connect/Express Web Connect connection methods is unavailable.

For more information and to be automatically notified once access is restored, please visit https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856922/new-07-16-10-american-express-credit-card-returns-error and "bookmark" the Alert by clicking the Yellow Star Icon in the upper right corner.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Hammer610Hammer610 Member
    Although I can sign in AMEX online and within Quicken, it will not allow me to download. I get an CP_SCRIPT_ERROR:160
  • oscar.wand06oscar.wand06 Member
    edited July 16
    why have I not being able to update lately from American Express using Quicken 2017?

:(
  • EvdEvd Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem, for a number of days now. See attached screenshot. Removing and adding the download connection with amex again does not resolve the problem.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a post just a few above this that above explains. Go here to read more, and get notifications once the problem is resolved. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • TomTom Member ✭✭
    edited July 17
    The Amex site has also disabled quicken downloads. From the Statements and Activity tab on americanexpress.com: "QBO and QFX file types are unavailable for download at the moment, but CSV and PDF are available for use." Amex told me on Sunday it was temporary. It is, however, going on too long IMO.

Update: Appears Amex identified some security issue and that's why QFX downloads are offline. They say they are working on it. They also recommend downloading .csv instead and uploading that to Quicken. Is that easy to do?
  • cinzia405cinzia405 Member
    edited July 25
    :'(

When is the downloading function for Amex accounts going to be up and running again?
    (merged and edited) 
  • Eileen BEileen B Member
    My transactions weren't downloading either; my last attempt was earlier today. My last successful download was July 6.
    Changing my connection type to "Direct Connect" (instructions posted above) worked for me. Tyka, thanks for posting a solution!
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10