American Express Not Downloading

Answers

• ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • PeterFrankPeterFrank Member ✭✭
    I have two American Express credit cards - a Blue for Business card and an American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum card. I was having the same issue downloading transactions for both. I was able to resolve this for both cards by deactivating downloads, then setting up again. I chose "American Express" as the bank and "Direct Connect" as the connection method. (Note that Amex doesn't not charge a fee for Direct Connect). That seems to has worked for me.
  • MormorMormor Member
    Does anyone know how much longer this going to go on? American express is not downloading
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856922/new-07-16-19-american-express-credit-card-returns-error

If you would like to be automatically notified once access has been restored, please "bookmark" this Alert by clicking the Yellow Star icon in the upper right corner.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    AmEx continues to download perfectly via Direct Connect. I'm not aware of any reason to prefer Express Web Connect. Users having problems with EWC should upgrade their connection to DC.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • toddsymondstoddsymonds Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > @toddsymonds Just curious why you say Direct Connect is not an option. I was pretty sure Amex offered it to all customers at no cost. 

All I can say is when I click on the option box along the bottom, the direct connect box is greyed out...see attached.
  • FrankFrank Member ✭✭
    I've experienced Error -28 since ~7/12. When will Amex be downloading again?
  • John CasazzaJohn Casazza Member
    This still seems to be an issue. Is quicken working with Amex to understand a timeline? is there any information that can be shared? Thanks.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Frank @John Casazza Please see the official Quicken statement on this problem here, and click on the star above the thread to receive updates when they haver a resolution to report.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • tjohnson0718tjohnson0718 Member
    Having an issue with downloading credit card transactions from American Express. Ive been unable to load since 7/10 - get an error CP_SCRIPT ERROR:160. I'm able to download other credit cards without any issue.
  • walterpkwalterpk Member ✭✭
    Been that way for a month or more (I use Quicken for Mac 2017)
    Can't seem to get a straight answer from anybody (what's new?)
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Perry SmithPerry Smith Member ✭✭
    Like PeterFrank above, I too can confirm that this resolved the issue for me. I deactivated downloads and then activated them using Direct Connect. When I deactivate it, the AmEx entry in Account Status disappears. When I brought it back, it reappeared briefly with the error (same as before -- probably just the old message) and then updated the new transactions.

My old error said that the last download was June 20th.
  • FrankFrank Member ✭✭
    > @PeterFrank said:
    > I have two American Express credit cards - a Blue for Business card and an American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum card. I was having the same issue downloading transactions for both. I was able to resolve this for both cards by deactivating downloads, then setting up again. I chose "American Express" as the bank and "Direct Connect" as the connection method. (Note that Amex doesn't not charge a fee for Direct Connect). That seems to has worked for me.

Thank you. I followed your advice (Direct Connect) and I am able to download.
  • fprosefprose Member
    Quicken mac unable to pull transactions from AMEX CP_SCRIPT_ERROR:16. Error has returned daily since 7/12/19. Other non-AMEX accounts are syncing fine.
  • tomhawkeytomhawkey Member
    Mine says error 160, but having the same problem since 7/12/19. Has anyone resolved this?
    If you read above in this thread, you'll see that this is caused by changes Amex is making, and there's nothing Quicken can do until Amex finishes making their changes. You can read the Quicken announcement about this, and if you "follow" that thread (click the little star at the top right), you'll get an email when they post an update or resolution.

However, you should try changing your connection method for Amex to Direct Connect, as this method works fine. Many people have posted in other threads on this site that they have changed to Direct Connect and are happily back in business.
  • toddsymondstoddsymonds Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > toddsymonds said:

> All I can say is when I click on the option box along the bottom, the direct connect box is greyed out...see attached.

> Ah, the key detail revealed in your screenshot is that you've selected the Delta Skymiles option for Amex. I'm curious if it works if you select "American Express" instead.

@jacobs THANK YOU! Selecting American Express displayed a Direct Connect option and it works!
  • JWBradley3JWBradley3 Member
    Still, I can't imagine Quicken IT people have not spoken to Amex IT and got a work-around or a prediction of when this will be fixed.
  • walterpkwalterpk Member ✭✭
    "SuperUser j" - who are you trying to convince here? "This renders this issue moot" is a ridiculous response - it does no such thing. Direct connect does not even appear as an option for me and apparently many others. If the problem is American Express, then so be it. Your defensive posture serves only to make those of us who are paying attention, suspicious.
    edited July 26
    @walterpk I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything; I was trying to help JWBradley3 above solve their problem. I'm just a Quicken user trying to help fellow Quicken users, nothing more.

I was answering a post from user JWBradley3. I was suggesting he try the solution that worked for the user just above, toddsymonds. He, too, did not see Direct Connect as an option, but once he posted more information, it turned out he had selected "American Express Delta Skymiles". Once he switched to "American Express" as I suggested, he saw he had the option to select Direct Connect, and once he did that, he was able to download transactions again. Yay, success! So I don't know how you can say that suggesting this course of action is "a ridiculous response."

I don't know which Amex choice you have selected from the list, but I'd suggest you try the basic "American Express", because that should then give you the option to select Direct Connect. Have you tried that? Are you still not seeing the option to choose Direct Connect?
  • Bo15Bo15 Member ✭✭
    Switching AmEx account to Direct Connect fixed it for me too. Q19 Mac 5.11.1
  • Gary GrillGary Grill Member ✭✭
    and fixed....didn't realize that the Direct Connect choice was hidden under options.
  • pacQuickpacQuick Member
    Why was the Amex issue of 7/16/19 closed ?

It's still ongoing, could be multi-weeks. I placed myself on Kathryn's notification and received an email today. It replied to it via the link within it but just got email bounce back. Tried twice. Here's email :

Hello Kathryn,

Why was this discussion and monitoring closed?

American Express told me it’s multi-weeks that downloads of transactions will not be possible. It could be up to 2 months! They said that it’s an offer to provide this functionality to 3rd party software ( Quicken, Quickbooks) but they are working on providing it again.

Since they’ve done NOTHING to announce this ‘interruption’, I’m counting on Quicken to advise when it is resolved. I can not do my accounting of these accounts until Amex/Quicken connection is back up and running.

Thanks for opening a ticket for this and tracking the status with American Express. Hopefully they pay attention to you on the urgency for repairing this technical issue.

Thanks!

Kathryn - - can you please open a new ticket to track this issue? Thanks!!!
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856922/ongoing-american-express-credit-card-returns-error#latest

You may want to explain why you're not able to use the recommended Direct Connect connection method.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Stan26Stan26 Member ✭✭
    I spoke to a real person at Amex several days ago and she said that the outage might last several weeks although they were working day and night to resolve it. I tried to download this morning, and got a message that only CSV files could be downloaded. I just gave it another try and a regular Quicken Web Connect seemed to work. No telling what is going on; is it a software problem or is Amex battling Quicken?
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @pacQuick

I apologize for any confusion or frustration experienced and appreciate your taking the time to share your concerns with the Community.

The referenced thread - https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856922/ongoing-american-express-credit-card-returns-error is intended as an informational announcement to confirm that Quicken is aware there is an issue occurring and provide a place for Users to follow and receive updates on the status and/or resolution of an issue.

Announcements of this type are typically closed for comments so other Users following the thread do not miss important information as it is posted. 

When this issue has been resolved the subject of the Alert will be updated to "RESOLVED" and a new comment confirming the resolution will be posted.

We are continuing to work with our Service Providers and American Express to restore access as quickly as possible, but do not currently have an ETA on when this matter will be resolved, I apologize.

I encourage you to continue following the Announcement post to receive updates on this issue as they become available and are posted.

Thank you,

Sarah