American Express Not Downloading

Answers

• pbrpbr Member
    I followed the advice in the thread below. However, the account has two cards associated with it (mine and my wife's), and now Quicken wants to create the two cards as two different accounts, instead of as one account, as it has in the past and as AmEx treats it. How can I resolve this issue?

Quicken Kathryn Administrator ✭✭✭✭ 1:32PM
    Update 7/25/19: We are continuing to work with American Express as they continue their site maintenance windows.

Some Quicken for Mac users have reported that they're unable to switch to Direct Connect with their American Express Delta SkyMiles Card. When switching to Direct Connect in this case, please select American Express - Direct Connect as the financial institution, and this will enable you to download transactions for your Delta SkyMiles card through Direct Connect.
  • Nancy LucenayNancy Lucenay Member
    Quicken for Mac: American Express - Direct Connect isn't an option; it's grayed out. Now what?
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭

Hello Nancy,

Sorry, you have been unable to locate the option for Direct Connect.

When reactivating the account for transaction download, please select 'American Express' and then choose options.

The American Expres Delta Skymiles option does not list the Direct Connect.

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka
  • LenirLenir Member ✭✭
    The solution given by Quicken for Quicken for Mac doesn't work at all. By the way, my account was created using the option "Direct Connect." Once the problem started, I went through the process again following Quicken's instructions and still NO RESULTS. Called Amex and was told the problem should be fixed in 4 weeks. I stopped using the card.
  • LenirLenir Member ✭✭
    Now I've a new problem: I followed again Quicken's instructions. Everything was as going on smoothly until the existing account showed up with "link" indicated along the account's name. After I clicked "continue" a total new account was created in Quicken listed as "Credit Card 2" and 29 transactions were downloaded into this "new" account while the account that was correctly identified during the re-setting process got 0 transactions. Now my problem is how to get these 29 transactions into the original account, get rid of the "Credit Card 2" account, and ensure that new transactions wil go to the right place. Oh, my! Please help!
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lenir You can easily transfer all the transactions in one account to another. Open the account you want to move transactions out of, Edit > Select All, click and drag on any of the highlighted transactions and drag onto the destination account in the left sidebar. All the transactions will move to the account you dragged to. Once you are sure the originating account is completely empty, you can delete it by Control-clicking on the account name in the left sidebar, and selecting Delete.

I'm not certain from your description, but if I'm understanding correctly, it's "Credit Card 2" which is now connected to download from Amex. If that's the case, you could do what I described above, transferring everything from your old Amex account to this new account; then delete the old account and rename the new account Amex or whatever you prefer.

P.S. Make sure you make a backup of your data file before you do the above, just in case anything gets messed up or doesn't go as expected, so you can go back and try again.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • donmckennandonmckennan Member
    27 July. I just got off the phone with American Express. I was told the issue will take another 6-8 weeks to resolve & the problem is with Quicken, not Amex.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    American Express is currently undergoing website maintenance and all Quicken for Windows and Mac Users will receive an error when attempting to add or update accounts with American Express using the Express Web Connect/Quicken Connect connection methods during this time.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856922/ongoing-american-express-credit-card-returns-error
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • Stan26Stan26 Member ✭✭
    This is really strange. I just used One Step Update to download my American Express account, and had no trouble at all (although as per my earlier email, I had experienced an off-and-on again outage for about two weeks. The real person I spoke to at Amex spoke in terms of a possible multi-weeks outage, and did not attempt to put the blame on Quicken. I continue to use Quicken downloads with two different commercial banks, and there has been no problem. I appreciate the fact that Amex did have a pop up on their website that advised that only CVS downloads were available. I don't see this anymore.
  • acspriggsacspriggs Member ✭✭
    I read that we're supposed to be able to choose American Express-Direct Connect as the financial institution and it's supposed to download. I don't see that option as a financial institution. Maybe I'm not using the right Quicken version?
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27
    You choose "American Express" as the financial institution. Then under Options, you choose the Direct Connect method of connection.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • acspriggsacspriggs Member ✭✭
    Thank you!!!!! I totally ignored that Options button down there!
  • anneclarkanneclark Member
    Why was this alert closed with an update that says the issue is still ongoing? My Quicken for Windows is still unable to connect with American Express. It is currently deactivated through troubleshooting and I can not get it to reconnect successfully. If the problem is still unsolved, please update the alert but leave it open so my bookmark will let me know if/when there's progress.

"Update 7/25/19: We are continuing to work with American Express as they continue their site maintenance windows.

Some Quicken for Mac users have reported that they're unable to switch to Direct Connect with their American Express Delta SkyMiles Card. When switching to Direct Connect in this case, please select American Express - Direct Connect as the financial institution, and this will enable you to download transactions for your Delta SkyMiles card through Direct Connect."
    The referenced thread - https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856922/ongoing-american-express-credit-card-returns-error is intended as an informational announcement to confirm that Quicken is aware there is an issue occurring and provide a place for Users to follow and receive updates on the status and/or resolution of an issue.

Announcements of this type are typically closed for comments so other Users following the thread do not miss important information as it is posted. 

When this issue has been resolved the subject of the Alert will be updated to "RESOLVED" and a new comment confirming the resolution will be posted.

We are continuing to work with our Service Providers and American Express to restore access as quickly as possible, but do not currently have an ETA on when this matter will be resolved, I apologize.

I encourage you to continue following the Announcement post to receive updates on this issue as they become available and are posted.

The problem seems to effect only Mac users. What version of Quicken Windows are you using? Have you tried restarting your computer? What happens when you try to enable Online Services for AE?
    Thanks for the reply and sorry for the slow response. I was out of town this week. I appreciate the explanation above re: closing the thread to user input but not closing it to updates and the offer to help.

I download from 5 different institution and Amex has always been the most cranky. Starting mid-July, it stopped working and I haven't been able to get it to reconnect. The behavior is fully reproducible. And frustrating.

I'm on PC, fully updated Windows 10, running Quicken 2019 (Build 27.1.20.15). I try to download transactions and get a CC-501 error message saying "unable to update these accounts because of an error on the Quicken server." I then attempt to reset the account and get "Quicken could not compete the account reset. This could be a temporary problem connecting with your financial institution or an incorrect password. Please try again." I deactivate the account and attempt to set it up again. The first attempt returns account information of "unknown type" set to "ignore." I cancel and try again and typically this time my account comes through, links to the correct Quicken account, but then fails to download transactions due to a connection error. If I click Try Again, the program then completely hangs.

During One Step Update from Quicken on your desktop / laptop, if you get error CC-501 for all of your Express Web Connect - connected accounts from several banks while other bank accounts using Direct Connect or Web Connect work OK ...

Please do not use any "Reset CC Credentials" instructions found here in the Community to correct online banking errors.  Instead, please contact Support.
    Support has access to a tool that can "reset" the User profile internally on the server.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

In case of CC-501, 502, 503, 506 errors from a single bank deactivate all accounts with this bank using the same bank logon ID, including any old, long closed, hidden and forgotten accounts that might still be activated. If you miss one, the server involved in handling Express Web Connect - connected accounts will not start with a clean slate and you will continue to have problems. When done, restart Quicken and reactivate accounts.

To deactivate an Account

Go to Tools > Account List.
    Click Edit for the account you need to change.
    Click Online Services tab.
    If the account has been activated for Online Bill Payment, deactivate this service first.
    Click Deactivate button in Online Setup box.
    Repeat for any other accounts that need to be deactivated.
    Restart Quicken to make sure that the changes are fully applied.

To (re-)activate accounts for downloading

Create a backup of your Quicken data file. This is a restore point, should something go horribly wrong during the next steps.
    If you normally automatically accept downloaded transactions into your registers I recommend you turn this feature off now. The first transaction download after every activation will download 60 - 90 days worth of transactions into your account(s). Auto-accepting them will most likely create a horrible mess that's difficult to undo. You're better off manually reviewing and accepting or deleting this first batch of downloaded transactions, one by one.  Go into Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions. Remove the checkmarks from both "After downloading transactions" settings.
    Go to Tools / Add Account to reactivate the accounts. As you go thru the setup process, Quicken will identify all accounts it can download.
    Select an account type, e.g. Checking
    Enter the name of your bank and click Next.  Some banks have multiple choices, Consumer vs. Business accounts, Express Web Connect vs. Direct Connect. Be sure to pick the correct one.
    Enter your credentials, select Save this password (if using password vault) and click Connect.

You should now see a list of all accounts found at your bank that you can activate. If you are activating an existing account, make sure the dropdown button for that account says LINK. If it says ADD, change it to LINK and select the correct Quicken account.  If it already says LINK, click the button and select the correct existing account register. If you do not do this, then the account will be added as a new account instead of being linked to the existing account register.

Repeat this step for each account listed.
    Change ADD to IGNORE for any account on the list that you do not want to activate at this time. You can always come back and activate more accounts later.
    Click Next to continue.

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, Am Ex has always worked best when using Direct Connect as the connection protocol. For me, my Direct Connect connection to Am Ex has been working flawlessly for many years.
    If you haven't tried it yet, please follow the instructions in the original announcement https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856922/ongoing-american-express-credit-card-returns-error#latest to set up your connection as Direct Connect.

• macharmachar Member
    Every day I update my accounts and the error still appears in Quicken for Mac as well as in the Quicken Mobile App in my phone. :/
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Machar,

Your post has been merged into the ongoing thread for this topic.

I would take a look at the steps outlined in the alert for American Express.

The alert can be found here:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856922/ongoing-american-express-credit-card-returns-error#latest

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
    Thanks for the suggestions above. Greg's directions worked nicely. The difference was starting the set up progress from Tools/ Add Account instead of going directly to my existing account and trying to set it up for downloads there.

UKR - I had tried those instructions before to make sure I was using the correct download connection but they didn't work. Are they for Mac users possibly?
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    anneclark said:
    Thanks for the suggestions above. Greg's directions worked nicely. The difference was starting the set up progress from Tools/ Add Account instead of going directly to my existing account and trying to set it up for downloads there.

UKR - I had tried those instructions before to make sure I was using the correct download connection but they didn't work. Are they for Mac users possibly?
    The solution posted contains instructions for both Windows and Mac users.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My AmEx Direct Connect (QWin '19) has been working perfectly forever... until today.

Today I got OL-294-A. In the master list of error codes, this shows "The server returned an HTTP 503 or 504, indicating that the server is down" as the likely cause. If this is the case, many people should be seeing this. Anyone else out there using QWin & Direct Connect seeing it?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
    Works fine for me. No errors.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I just tried again after seeing your post, and it worked. Just a temporary disturbance in The Force, I guess.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • dsampson01dsampson01 Member ✭✭
    This morning I received notification that I needed to deactivate and reactivate the connection to my two American Express accounts. So I followed the steps to do so. The process went through without errors. EXCEPT that there are now two NEW credit card accounts with some transactions to be downloaded!

I saw that all of the 50+ transactions had been previously downloaded so I went ahead and deleted all of them.

However, I see that the two new accounts have been set up for direct connection. The issue here is that I have two older accounts that I want to continue to use instead of these two NEW accounts. The older accounts have historical transactions that I want to keep and refer to.

How can I rearrange this so that I can use direct connects with the two older accounts in place the the new ones?

Call me unhappy.

~Doug
  • RichardRichard Member ✭✭
    I received a notice that I had to de-activate and re-activate my American Express account. When I did so, I have an old de-activated account with my history going back to the year 2000 and a new one with an entry for today. I don't want to lose my history. How do I get my history back into my activated account?
  • helmm2015helmm2015 Member
    Sarah moderator told us it would be up by 0600 PDT. At 0800 PDT I did the Deactivate and reactivate the AMEX account. It resulted in the account being set to Ignore and not connecting to the Amex server.
  • jeffwatts01jeffwatts01 Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just reconnected my own accounts to AmEx.
    Performing a Reset and re-connecting my 2 accounts using the last 5 digits of the card number to link to my existing account registers worked fine. Give it a try. If you have more than one account, you may have to do this one account at a time.