American Express Not Downloading

Answers

• DcanDcan Member ✭✭
    Thanks, you were right - during the re-activation process, I told Quicke to create a new account register, rather than liking my Amex account to the existing account register.
  • winniesuewinniesue Member
    Thank you for your help! I had not linked the existing account. Thank you all for your time.
  • And I also lose all my previous history that was in the account I originally created. Help please.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you reactivate your AE account, you should have LINKED to the existing account. You can either restore a backup from before or move all the transactions from the old account to the new account and then delete the old account. Please make a backup first!
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • Greg, I didn't see that in the Quicken instructions can you tell me how to link it. Going to restore the latest backup and then move forward. Thank you.
    1. Open the Account List (Ctrl + A).
    2. Click the Edit button on the account you want to reactivate.
    3. Go to the Online Services tab and click the Set up Now button.
    4. Type in the financial institution name and walk through the wizard.
    5. Choose LINK on the screen displayed after Quicken finds the available accounts at the financial institution for your login credentials and carefully link to your existing Quicken account(s).
  • Never mind Greg, I just went back and read how to do it. Sorry for bothering you again. Thanks so much.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you restore a recent data file backup you saved before you deleted the original account and attempt to reset the Online Services for the American Express account registers again.  Please follow the instruction to deactivate the Online Services of the original account.  When you subsequently setup the Online Services for the account, be certain to link the account Quicken finds at the financial institution with the existing register: https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • paulbacchipaulbacchi Member
    Receiving the following error message when trying to download transactions. Indicates it does recognize account number. We have been running in to problems with AE, but didn't know the error message.
    OL-304-A
  • jr7107jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Mine did the same, but I saw a note about deactivating/reactivating the AE online account within Quicken and then trying again.

Do a backup first. I will post my results if/when successful.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • jr7107jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I just completed a "Reset Account" instead of a full deactivate/reactivate and that was successful. There was a note about AE changes that popped up in the software, which I ignored until it failed. Seems to be working now.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • TimothyhTimothyh Member ✭✭
    Reset Account worked for me. A whole lot simpler than the deactivate routine.
  • sfsrich58sfsrich58 Member
    During download from AMX, I got a notification to update AMX so I did and now I have lost all detail prior to May 2019! What the heck happened...not happy with this update
    Did you deactivate/reactivate Online Services for AMX? If so, did you create a new AMX account instead of linking to the existing account?
  • Gary NortonGary Norton Member ✭✭
    When I did this I never saw an option to link to an existing account, it created new accounts that doubled up in the account pane.
  • sfsrich58sfsrich58 Member
    I think you are correct, it did create a new account...how can I fix it?
  • Gary NortonGary Norton Member ✭✭
    What I did was to hide the previous accounts but for the new ones created the data in my situation only went back to June. I do not have any idea of how you could merge them.
  • BluemarathonBluemarathon Member
    Unable to get statement data to d/l from AMEX, I followed the instructions in the wizard to deactivate / reactivate the online services -- BUT, when I try to reactivate using the same account name that is current in Quicken (why would I want to change it?) it just tells me "account name already in use" and doesn't let me go further. Do I have to make a new account? How can I avoid this?

I would point out that the wizard is working with the correct account being "edited", yet it won't let me add the online service.
    You should be able to Link to the old account when you reactivate.
    Thank you for answering so quickly.
    Regretfully, when I tried to complete the reactivation using the generic suggested term "Credit Card", I got exactly the same error message from AMAX as before. So the process suggested, even with your advice (for which I thank you) hasn't helped, but I will keep trying.
    Thank you. Those were the instructions that I originally followed, before asking the question. When I was reactivating it, (with the new account name) I still got the same error message from Amex.
  • JRJR Member ✭✭
    :/ Two weeks ago I received a Quicken message regarding change to AmEx download. I made the suggested changes and all worked OK. Yesterday a second message popped up which I ignored assuming it was the same information but when I did an online update my AmEx account failed. I logged on and off Quicken several times but could not get the message to pop up again so I searched the community to find the updated AmEx information but there was no relevant info. Does anyone have suggestions regarding the 2nd fix for the AmEx issue?
  • VickyVicky Member ✭✭
    Can't get Am Ex to download. Previously worked for years! Tried disconnecting and restarting computer. Now when I try to reconnect the account is blocked as ignore as thought it is already set up but won't give me the option to download. Is Am Ex having problems with Quicken?
  • srobsrob Member
    When I go through the process, I don't even have the option to add my AMEX account. It comes up with "ignore" and there is no way for me to change it.
  • DazzaDazza Member ✭✭
    > @sfcsrich58 said:
    > I think you are correct, it did create a new account...how can I fix it?

@sfcsrich58,

Delete the new account and redo the deactivation/re-activation option and from the drop-down option choose link account. Choose the Amex account you want to link it too.
    Or move the transactions from the old account to the new one and delete the old account. Please make a backup first.
  • DazzaDazza Member ✭✭
    > @srob said:
    > When I go through the process, I don't even have the option to add my AMEX account. It comes up with "ignore" and there is no way for me to change it.

@srob,

It’s a drop-down option.
  • Robert McGannRobert McGann Member ✭✭
    For 2 months trying to down my American express credit card account into Quicken results in an error instead of just returning to Quicken zero transactions.