American Express Not Downloading

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • cclough0739cclough0739 Member
    When a credit card company like American Express changes their security protocols that block Quicken downloads, the deactivate/reactivate instructions result in a second account being created so now I have to manually file in the budget categories for Quicken Reports to produce usable transaction records.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18
    That's not how it's supposed to work. When you reactivate an account, Quicken gives you a pulldown menu with three choices: ADD, LINK, IGNORE. Unfortunately, the default is ADD, as in "add a new Quicken account." This is never what you want in this situation. You want to LINK the online account to your existing Quicken account. This provides the proper result.
    I recommend restoring your most recent backup prior to the deactivation of your account, and de/re-activating the account the right way.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • rbittlerbittle Member
    NONE of the suggestions are working for my Quicken Premier 2019 . . . I've seen them all and tried them. All I get is the same tired answer, "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.) Quicken is having trouble connecting to American Express."

Ok . . . whose fault is it and when will it be fixed?
    rbittle said:
    NONE of the suggestions are working for my Quicken Premier 2019 . . . I've seen them all and tried them. All I get is the same tired answer, "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.) Quicken is having trouble connecting to American Express."

Ok . . . whose fault is it and when will it be fixed?
    At this point, I suspect it is your fault and it will be fixed when you follow the instructions: https://www.quicken.com/support/required-update-american-express-accounts-august-2019

You need to deactivate the Online Services of all of the registers associated with the financial institution.  When you subsequently setup the Online Services of one of the registers, Quicken should provide a list of all of the accounts Quicken obtains from the financial institution and allow you to link the accounts to the appropriate existing registers.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • todkapuztodkapuz Member
    Is Amex going to be different every few weeks from now on? Can we please go back to simple days of downloading a file and loading into quicken.... this is getting almost unworkable having to make a dedicated backup every time before trying to see if its going to work this week, and find it broken again..... and having to reload because its make a new account or done something else stupid that makes no sense.... this is seriously going in the wrong direction... having to deactivate, and reactivate the account every time....
    todkapuz said:
    Is Amex going to be different every few weeks from now on? Can we please go back to simple days of downloading a file and loading into quicken.... this is getting almost unworkable having to make a dedicated backup every time before trying to see if its going to work this week, and find it broken again..... and having to reload because its make a new account or done something else stupid that makes no sense.... this is seriously going in the wrong direction... having to deactivate, and reactivate the account every time....
    I suppose you'd have to ask American Express.  I've had no significant issues but I have only been using the Direct Connect connection method with American Express.  In my opinion, the Express Web Connect connection method is Quicken's least reliable connection method.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • AlismailAlismail Member
    I have gone through the process of deactivating, and am now trying to activate my 4 AMEX accounts. I can choose direct connect and the accounts have been found by quicken... however when I try to link each of the accounts to its corresponding account in Quicken, they do not show up in the drop-down box.. Other credit cards are showing up, but none of the AMEX ones...

Any suggestions?
  • jg1126jg1126 Member
    Anyone else have problems with AMX not downloading transactions again???
  • jg1126jg1126 Member
    Yes I did this (deactivate/reactivate) about a week or so and it has been working, until today.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you getting any error messages?
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • jg1126jg1126 Member
    Yes FI website unavailable:ccscrape105url. Mostly this happens when AmericanExpress blocks intuit url
    Are you using Direct Connect?
  • DaleDale Member ✭✭
    I did the AMEX unenrole and re enroll. Clicked the link to thing but Quicken created another account under banking. It downloaded trasactions to the new account. I have not accepted them and Quicken won't let me do anything until i do. How do I put these tranactions to the original acc
  • jg1126jg1126 Member
    Thanks for your help - I deactivated and activated again, tried both connections, then tried again and it worked. I seem to have problems with AMX connections every few months
  • Cliff_7point62Cliff_7point62 Member ✭✭
    jg1126, did you mean by saying that you tried both connections that tried Direct Connect and whatever the other one is? Is Direct Connect the one that worked?
  • GreysonGreyson Member ✭✭
    American Express transactions aren't downloading in One Step Update.
    I'm using Windows2019 version R21.16 Build 27.1.21.16 Home, Business and Rental Property
  • DaveDave Member ✭✭
    Almost reluctant to ask, but has anyone here found a fix for Quicken Mac 2007 users to re-enable Amex Direct Connection downloads? Mine have been bulletproof for years until this latest development.

QM 2007 does not have the Deactivate buttons or LINK buttons I see mentioned here. I'm planning on upgrading to Quicken Mac 2019 next month, but alas it sounds like this problem effects even that latest version.
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856922/resolved-american-express-credit-card-returns-error#latest

If you aren't already, I suggest you use the Direct Connect connection method.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Stephen ElyStephen Ely Member ✭✭
    Has anyone done this on 2015 for Windows? I deactivated both AmEx accounts and then reactivated, and now I get no error message, but I get no new transactions either.
    Has anyone done this on 2015 for Windows? I deactivated both AmEx accounts and then reactivated, and now I get no error message, but I get no new transactions either.
    Online services for Quicken 2015 expired on 4/30/2018.
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > (Quote)
    > Online services for Quicken 2015 expired on 4/30/2018.

And yet AmEx continued to work fine until now... So frustrating.
    Yeah, I remember when everything else expired. AmEx continued to work for over a year though, so I was hoping it wasn't affected for some reason. I feel like this is something else, but not much I can do, I guess.
  • Ted W Hatley JrTed W Hatley Jr Member ✭✭
    I followed the instructions to resolve the American Express issues from August 2019 by deactivating and reactivating the account. Now I have two accounts for American Express. I would like to move the history from the old that no longer updates to the new account that does update. Any suggestions? Thank you
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21
    You should only have one Amex account if that's what you started with. So you need to start over.
    1. Restore your most recent backup from before you deactivated Amex.
    2. Deactivate Amex.
    3. Reactivate Amex. When given the choice, LINK the online account to your existing Quicken account. The default of ADD is unfortunate; it will add a new Quicken account, which is not what you want.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • Ted W Hatley JrTed W Hatley Jr Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I missed the drop down list with Link Accounts the first time. Thank you
  • AlismailAlismail Member
    What if the account is not listed in the dropdown box when trying to link an account??

Note: I am sure it is a Credit Card account...
  • bdahl305bdahl305 Member ✭✭
    same here, and I use direct connect. think AMEX is working on the issue. I have been deactivating the account, then reactivating the account, this works for now.