Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Why is Reconcile and Account Greyed out?

Recently, Reconcile an Account has been greyed out on the Tools drop down men, when I go to use it after updating my accounts. However Cntrl + R will still access this functionality and it works as expected. Not sure what event caused it to grey out, maybe update accounts? Any one else seeing this behavior? I'm running Home, Business and rental Property Ver. R19.55, Build 27.1.19.55.

Oh BTW same thing with Write Checks. It also is greyed out but can be accessed with Cntrl + W.

Also Backing up Quicken restores (un-greys) the abitlity to select them via Tools Menu.
i do this when I'm done for the day not @ start .

Answers

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @Kurt Knudson

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

I also attempted to replicate this behavior in my copy of Quicken 2019 R19.55 and unfortunately, could not.  Both the reconcile account and write/print check options were available to select from the Tools menu after running the One Step Update.

Does this behavior persist in a new data file?  If you aren't sure, please create a new file (File > New Quicken File) for testing purposes only, add one account in the new file and then try to access the Tools menu.

Are the menu options still greyed out and unable to be selected?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • Kurt Knudson
    Kurt Knudson Member ✭✭
    Hi Sarah:

Thanks to the reply. I looked at this issue more closely and it seems that the menu options are greyed out when I start Quicken for the first time each day. . Then it will remain so until I back up. Once the back up is complete the Tools Menu appears to rebuilt. Please see the attached. Then if I shut down and restart Quicken it initializes with the menu as seen after that first back up. Next AM start up, back to greyed out menu.

For years and years I've accessed Reconcile Account via this menu. I don't remember ever seeing it greyed out, so I had no idea what event was causing it to do so. After backing up I noticed it was re-enabled so I initially I started reconciling after backing up. (Just so you know, I run Quicken on a desk top PC that I start up every mourning and shut down every night). I initially thought that maybe it was one step update disabling it thinking that maybe there was new functionality added where one had to accept or delete any downloaded transactions to your accounts before you can reconcile. Turned out I was wrong as they are greyed out before I do anything.

Anyway when I first tried the short cut Keys Cntrl+R while greyed out on menu, I was hoping to get a pop up saying why it was not available, but low and behold it work perfectly! (Same with Write Checks) I added both to the tool bar as suggested by "intouchwithreality" and they are always enabled and work perfectly from there.

So thanks I'm really not frustrated LOL in fact glad I added them to the tool bar, one less click!
    This week end I should have some time to try starting a new file. Oh BTW, this behavior started around the time there were issues with connections to Fidelity. I'm have multiple accounts with Fidelity. So what I'll try is starting a new file with just a card credit account first. If not greyed out after following aforementioned sequencing, I'll then add my Fidelity account an see what happens!

I don't see this as a critical issue, It'll be fun trying to figure out its root cause.
  • jhbmd
    jhbmd Member
    I use Quicken just to keep track of checking and savings accounts - no downloading, no on-line transactions, everything entered manually. When I went in this morning to reconcile my checking account, the reconcile function was greyed out - how do I fix this?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder where "Save Desktop Icons" and "Restore Desktop Icons" are coming from. I've never seen them in the Tools menu.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.