Quicken crashes with any update, "Fail to create dump file" message

Ever since I installed the Quicken R19.55, I've been having issues with crashes. Initially, Quicken would just crash when I attempted to update investments, and then after a week or so it started working normally. In the last few days, however, Quicken is now crashing every time I manually initiate any update (investments, one-step update, etc.).

- The problem appears to be with the manual updates, because if I leave Quicken open long enough, my investments will update on their own with no crashing

- I am also now seeing the message "Failed to create dump file: error 183"

That error message is a generic windows program error, and an online search found a bunch of discussions for unrelated gaming software, where the solution was "update your drivers". Every driver on my laptop is updated, and I've tried running validate and repair without any success.

Is anyone else having this or a similar problem, or have some specific insight on what I can try?

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could this be what's causing your problems?

Check if Windows Defender feature Ransomware protection is enabled. Configure or deactivate the Ransomware feature (may also be called "Controlled Folders")
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7626540/quicken-opens-but-stuck-wont-show-file-nov-2017

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7631733/windows-10-1709-protected-folders

To add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection see https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-fall-creators-update

• KnnNikeKnnNike Member ✭✭
    @UKR I don't have controlled folder access enabled...it was giving me too many issues with other legacy programs. On the Windows side, I haven't made any changes since this started happening...e.g., no updates installed, files moved, permissions edited.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @KnnNike

I'm sorry to hear the crashing issues are persisting and appreciate your taking the time to report the details of this issue to the Community.

I took the liberty of reviewing the submitted crash reports and it appears that the crash is occurring due to a an internal call being made to the .Net Framework utility tool.

The 19.36 release removed the dependencies for the Microsoft .Net Framework utility tool so, any part of the program making a call to that utility is not being handled correctly and causing a crash.

The R20.15 release does include a fix for the unnecessary calls to the .Net Framework utility tool, but as mentioned above by @UKR, the R20.15 is still in staged release status and not available for download quite yet.

I've sent a Private Message with some additional information and steps and please let us know if the crash persists.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • SleepyHeadSleepyHead Member ✭✭
    Sarah, I am already on R20.15 and am getting the same "Failed to create dump file: error 183" message. then Quicken crashes.

In case it helps, my "Build" is 27.1.20.15.
    Hello @SleepyHead

I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing a crash and thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community.

When Quicken "crashes" do you receive a dialogue window with the option to submit a crash report?

If so, have the reports been submitted?  If not, please submit the next crash report and let me know once it has been sent.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • kikimikokikimiko Member
    I am having the same problem. I am on Version R20.15, Build 27.1.20.15. As soon as I click One-Step Update (or any individual account update) I get a Quicken Crash Report that apologizes and says there is more information in these crash files:
    27.0UL696810.dmp*
    MGD16GV7.xml*
    CONNLOG.TXT
    QCS.log
    I have rebooted, done the validation and super-validation but no problems were found. I have submitted a crash report-- once last week and once just now.

Thank you,
    Kristi
    Hello @kikimiko

Thank you for submitting the crash reports, although I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing a crash in Quicken.

May I ask, if you go to the Edit menu > Preferences > Quicken ID Sync, & Alerts option, is your Quicken ID information listed on the right side of the preferences window?

Or do you see a link that says "Try Again"?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • Carolyn CCarolyn C Member ✭✭
    I'm getting the same thing. Version R.20.15, Build 27.120.15. I've submitted at least 2 crash reports in the last hour or so, but not every time (happened a dozen times, don't always get the pop up asking me to submit). I had this exact issue a few weeks ago and the solution when I spent time on the phone was to go back and restore an old back up file - assumed the one I was using was corrupted. So - I've done that (went back to backup from last Friday 7/11) and it worked normally for a while (30 mins). Then I closed Quicken, reopened 20 mins later and the same thing. Just closes within 5 seconds of opening and before I touch anything (unless I go up into one of the pull down menus quickly enough).
  • Fred WaltersFred Walters Member ✭✭
    Carolyn C,

Download the Mondo Patch and I have to use this patch most of the time to keep Q working without crashing.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product
    @"Fred Walters" thanks - trying it now. I have the latest update (R.20.15) but I'll try to see if this works. This crash issue started within hours of making that update, so it seems like it is related.
    @Fred Walters no luck. Crashes within 5 seconds of opening. I don't even get a pop up window to report it.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @UKR posted above, 
    Could this be what's causing your problems?

Check if Windows Defender feature Ransomware protection is enabled. Configure or deactivate the Ransomware feature (may also be called "Controlled Folders")
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7626540/quicken-opens-but-stuck-wont-show-file-nov-2017

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7631733/windows-10-1709-protected-folders

To add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection see https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-fall-creators-update

Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • BeachedBonesBeachedBones Member
    > @"Quicken Sarah" said:
    > Hello @SleepyHead
    >
    > I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing a crash and thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community.
    >
    > When Quicken "crashes" do you receive a dialogue window with the option to submit a crash report?
    >
    > If so, have the reports been submitted?  If not, please submit the next crash report and let me know once it has been sent.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Sarah

No, Sarah, I do not get a crash report window. Just a crash when I hit OK to the "failed to create dump file" dialogue box.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please verify this:

In Windows Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Environment Variables ensure that both the TEMP and TMP variables point to a valid and existing folder, typically C:\Windows\Temp or  C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Local\Temp
    If they point to an incorrect or non-existent folder or drive change both variables to an existing folder on C:\ (or create one) and reboot Windows.

If the folder exists … does your Windows User Account have proper access rights to this folder?
    If Quicken cannot create and use temporary files, all sorts of malfunctions will occur.
    If the Temp folder is full of junk, clean it out. Delete all files and subfolders within the Temp folder structure that Windows allows you to delete. You may have to skip a few that are actively in use.

Make sure that files in the Temp folder are NOT accessed by cloud backup software at all.

Make sure that JAVA is installed and running.

Run CHKDSK /r on your C: - drive (or perform Error Checking from Windows File Explorer, Properties, Tools tab). Some posts in Microsoft websites seem to point to damaged hard drive partition tables as a cause of this problem
  • ckhinrichsckhinrichs Member ✭✭
    I'm having crash problems even when not updating. If I just try to look at one of my accounts, it shutdown without any message.
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup? What is the Version and OS Build of Windows?
  • acorenacoren Member
    I have been getting the "Failed to create dump file" error no matter what i do. Quicken will open, show my data, then the error dialog shows. If I do not click OK in the error dialog, I can use my checking account to enter activity but nothing else. One step update will not do anything, can't view my bills, etc. If I click the OK in the error dialog box, the program shuts down.

I have used the Quicken uninstall tool and reinstalled with virus protection and firewall off and ran a super validate with no errors reported. I have also tried using a new data file. Nothing fixes the issue.

Here are the details:
    Quicken Year: 2019
    Version: R21:12
    Build: 27.1.21.12

Windows 10 v1903
    Controlled Folder Access disabled.
    Again, what is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
  • acorenacoren Member
    I have my data file on a separate physical drive that I use to isolate all my files from the OS. I do not use any cloud storage for Quicken files. Just an aside, I had absolutely no issues prior to the R18 update.