Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Slow to logon, between accounts or when accessing tabs & when logging off

Dell 8300 XPS Intel core i7-2600 CPU at 3.40GHZ, 12 GB RAM, Windows 10, Drives are being optimized weekly.

Quicken 2019 HB&RP version R19.52, build 27.1.19.52
Updated 7/7/19 to version R19.55, build 27.1.19.55
Updated 7/17/19 to version R20.15, build 27.1.20.15

Norte: Time between accounts return to almost normal when a new update is available then returns to slow mode when update is installed.

Quicken 2019 HB&RP has been uninstalled and reinstalled attempting to fix slowness problem but to no avail.

File Information:
Size of QDF File: 99555K
Accounts: 24
Categories: 1161
Memorized payees: 719
Securities/Max Ref: 104/104
Transactions: 35864

Systems Resources:
Available Memory: 2097151K
Total Memory: 2097151K

Original problem started with “Quicken can’t open data File” because it is in use by some other application. I deleted the Config, Data and Log folders as per help section. However, I must keep doing this frequently and rebooting my computer.

Time to bring up quicken:
• Quicken Logo to gray screen 25 sec
• Gray screen to Quicken top HB&RP only boarder 60 sec
• Most of the screen with 21 accounts but without tabs 3 min 45 sec
• Complete screen with 21 accounts and tabs. total time 4 min 23 sec

Time between accounts 26 sec also before the new screen loads several of the characters appear to be over printed then the screen appears to jump, and the characters return to normal then the new screen loads.

One step update to enter password screen 30 sec

Time to Logoff and save data:
• Gray screen appears 20 sec
• Quicken reloads entire accounts screen before closing 43 sec
• Also, it keeps wanting to back up the data to my desktop

Other times when I Logoff and save data I receive the follow error messages:
• Unable to Close Files (twice)
• Unable to re-load current file after copy.
• Then Quicken closes however it does appear to save the data

Best Answers

• wnm7158wnm7158 Member
    Accepted Answer
    Safe mode proved to be a worthwhile exercise as Quicken behaved properly in that environment. when I returned to normal mode I found that Zone Alarm Security was causing my problem with Quicken. When I disable Zone Alarm everything went back to normal. No Zone was not a new install I have been running it for a long time but not any more. Thank you for assistance.

Answers

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive or Google Backup? You have a large number of memorized payees.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • wnm7158wnm7158 Member
    Thank you for your quick response.
    The path to QDATA is C:\users\wnm71\ xxxx QDATA, I am using OneDrive for backup. The number of memorized payees has actually been reduced since the start of the problem.
    Is there a reason your data file is not in  C:\users\wnm71\Documents\Quicken? When you say you're using OneDrive for backup, does that mean  C:\users\wnm71\ is included as a folder to be backed up by OneDrive?
  • wnm7158wnm7158 Member
    After the last reinstall of quicken the data file appeared in C:\users\wnm71 rather than in documents. Since the response time was unchanged i.e. still slow, I just left it alone. When I logoff Quicken it automatically writes to C:\users\wnm71and I also have a path to the One Drive which is not new.
    Is C:\users\wnm71\ included as a folder to be backed up by OneDrive? 

• wnm7158wnm7158 Member
    no it is not
    From Quicken, have you tried making a copy of your data file and then opening the copy? You might also try validating the copy.
  • wnm7158wnm7158 Member
    Good suggestions however I have already tried both
  • wnm7158wnm7158 Member
    No I have not but I can try that and let you know the results
  • wnm7158wnm7158 Member
    Accepted Answer
    Safe mode proved to be a worthwhile exercise as Quicken behaved properly in that environment. when I returned to normal mode I found that Zone Alarm Security was causing my problem with Quicken. When I disable Zone Alarm everything went back to normal. No Zone was not a new install I have been running it for a long time but not any more. Thank you for assistance.
  • Steve95424Steve95424 Member
    I am having the same problem. Quicken R20.15 running on Dell Inspiron 13-7312 with 8GB RAM and 1TB SSD hard drive. The file is stored in my local Google Drive folder (C:\Users\Steve\Google Drive\Quicken) so that it is backed up to the cloud automatically.

Size of QDF is 60,030,976 bytes.

Performance has deteriorated significantly in recent months, with the latest build causing extreme problems. Windows redraw 3 and 4 times when I save a transaction. Screens seem to go in and out of focus, and this morning I tried to enter a transaction in my check register and the application closed spontaneously.

I have been using Quicken for at least 25 years, and I am seriously considering moving to another product if this continues.

I am using Avast anti-virus.

I have tried validating the file without any change in performance.
    Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and running Quicken?
This discussion has been closed.