Quicken stopped updating categories i assign to payees and is repeating one over and over

Hello,

Please read and respond to my message carefully.

This question is NOT about automatically renaming payees. I am perfectly fine with understanding payees. I have used quicken for 15 or more years.

When I go to accept a downloaded transaction, Quicken has always automatically assigned the last category i selected for the particular payee being accepted...no it is usually not doing that anymore and many times, but not always, is assigning one specific category i created.

For example, I have a bar i go to, when I accept the downloaded transaction, i assign "restaurant expense" as the category I want it to go into....the next time I go to that bar, Quicken is assigning "Household Repair" to it which seems to be the default category it is using for many things...no matter how many times i assign, Restaurant expense" to it, Quicken never learns....

Quicken used to be very good at this...what has happened???????

Please help...it now takes me 3 times as long to accept downloaded transactions because of this. I ahve an elaborate list of categories and subcategories I have set up for tax purposes....

thanks for any help you can give!

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on your description of the issue you're experiencing, I suggest you review your  Memorized Payee List (press Ctrl + T) and related preferences: selected Edit >Preferences...

If you haven't already, you may want to review how Quicken suggest categories:  press F1

• sidneybinks
    sidneybinks Member
    Sherlock, I very much appreciate your response. Unfortunately, it didn't help. My settings are as you suggest in preferences. Also, I read what u suggested abut how quicken suggests categories...and that is exactly how it used to always do it...it would assign whatever category I last used with a particular payee. That is now only happening 1/3 the time....but it now seems to stubbornly hold on to wrong ones...perhaps 50 times I have changed the same payee to a specific category and it just continues to give the wrong one the very next time the payee comes up....and all of the time, what it chooses is one that I have previously created...the same one over and over. I can't delete because there are hundreds of important tax-related items assigned to that category....could it be an actual bug in my quicken?
This discussion has been closed.