Changing US to Can version

JFreeleJFreele Member
edited July 18 in All things Canadian
I am Canadian and was living overseas for a number of years and currently am using a US Deluxe version of the subscription service to access my US brokerage (which expires next April). Now that Ive moved back to Canada since the end of February, it is my understanding that I have to buy the Canadian version, which during installation, will remove my US version and convert all my files accordingly (i.e. I cannot convert my US version to a Canadian version and I can't run both simultaneously in the same Laptop). Can members of this community confirm that these understandings are correct? Thanks.

Best Answers

Answers

• jr7107jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Are you looking for the CAD version long term, or you still want support for your USD brokerage downloads?

I would try a conversion from US to CAD file and see, no harm is done when the file is backed up. And I think you can "return" the software if it doesn't work as you like. I did the opposite of that in 2002 once QWin US supported multicurrency. Worked well.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • mfreelemfreele Member ✭✭
    I chatted to a Quicken rep today who confirmed that the backed up data in my US version is a different format then would be used in a Canadian version I need to buy now that I have repatriated to Canada, which means I cannot convert my data from a US version to a Can version if I subscribe to it, resulting in the loss of many years of backed up financial data. This seems illogical. I can go ahead and buy the Canadian version and try it and see what happens but wondered if anyone here has already tried this?
  • mfreelemfreele Member ✭✭
    An additional problem is that my historical data has multiple currencies, most of which are now "hidden" accounts as they are not active, but they do comprise part of my financial history. Quicken Support has just confirmed via the Chat that the Canadian version is not Multi-Currency, so I guess this means if I was to still have access to that historical data, I'll have to stay with the US version of Quicken?
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7:22AM
    Hello @mfreele
    Thank you for the response.

As far as I know, the Canadian version only supports Canadian financial institutions for automatic download but accounts can still be tracked in a different currency.
    There are steps for setting up foreign currencies.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-set-foreign-currency-account

I was also able to change the currency of an account in the Canadian version.

This was touched on above, but the best way to know what the result of the conversion will be is to move forward with attempting the conversion. If the conversion doesn't go as desired you may return to the previous version and pick up where you left off.

Hope this helps clarify.

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • jr7107jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Canadian version was actually multi-currency before the US version as some historical background.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.