Home Quicken for Mac Budgeting and Planning Tools (Mac)

In the budget, not all expenses are shown as negative. It's messing up the total.

I have a very detailed household budget for 2019, but it's showing my total expenses are about only a 1/10th of what they actually are. I think I know why. In the detailed breakdown of expenses, some are shown as negative (with a minus sign) and some are positive (no minus sign). Consequently Quicken is adding them up incorrectly. They should all add up to be a combined total, regardless of the negative or positive. When I first created this budget at the beginning of the year, none of them had a minus sign in front of the numbers. I simply followed the steps of plugging in numbers for the year. After a month, the same problem occurred. I attempted to fix it by adding a minus sign to all the numbers. That didn't work, so I changed them all to positive, but that also got messed up. so I started from scratch. The expenses added up correctly. Now, I'm experiencing the same problem. Anyone else have this same problem?

Quicken 2019 Deluxe.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• ValderiValderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Normally, all amounts (income & expenses) should be positive (no minus sign) in your planification. Quicken knows by itself that the expense amounts are automatically negatives (i.e. deducted from the incomes). In your report, negative amounts means that you spend more than what you've budgeted.

You wrote that you're making an "annual" budget. Check on your "bills & incomes" or your already registered future expenses, maybe you will find the source of your problem.

(edited for readability)
  • Taggart77Taggart77 Member
    I understand what you're saying, but it's not working that way. A hypothetical example: in my budget, I show that I spend $100 on groceries, $100 on clothing, $100 on dining. For some reason, the $100 on groceries has a negative in front of it, but the others don't, and it totals out all my spending to $200. That shouldn't happen, because I'm definitely not earning money on groceries.
  • willi1willi1 Member ✭✭
    I spent months running Windows and Mac concurrently hoping to switch over to Mac only. I ‘finally’ just gave up and will just monitor Mac . This was one of the main issues, along with anything transacted in a foreign currency account not being accounted for in budget actual amounts. There were other issues as well, but enough is enough...and I don’t give up easily...😉
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello Taggart77 and Willi,

Can you include a screenshot of the screen or screens that you are seeing this discrepancy on?

If in the edit budget screen, there shouldn't be any (-) in front of the expenses, this makes the amounts positive as the expenses are already a negative number.

Are any of the numbers budgeted amount 0? This can cause an incorrect display on the budget view.

Are you by chance syncing the budget to the mobile app?

Let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka Just wondering: Is this budgeted amount zero issue documented as a bug to be fixed? It's not intuitive and seems to affect many people. Thanks.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    Hello Jacobs,

Thank you for asking!

As of now, I don't have any official information on this, I have just seen this in my own budget, I don't believe it to be intuitive either.

Let me do some research and I will get back to you with some more information.

-Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    @Quicken_Tyka and @jacobs:

I don't know if this is what you are referring to, but I have noted (and reported) that if you have an existing budget and add a new category that has previous supposed spending in the "Last Month" column:

Then the populated monthly goals are all set as negative. (I have no idea where any of those numbers are being calculated from-they are wildly inaccurate.) 

Those negative amounts do screw with the budget. (This is with mobile disabled.) That Pet Care was added just as an example.
    Hello John,

The issue that I'm referring to is different from the one that you show.  Thank you for including it on this thread, I have seen the negative numbers appear but hadn't made the connection to an amount being shown in the "Last Month."

What you are reporting appears to be the issue that the OP is reporting.

What I thought it might be is this-

If an income category has a planned amount set to 0, this will make the income category show as an expense.

Hope that helps to clarify!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
    Here's an example of where things have gone wrong and can't be fixed. I have all my taxes in a column, they are all positive numbers. In the blue row is the total, yet it's a negative number that makes no sense. Ideas?
    Also, as an experiment, I removed all the numbers to see what would happen to the blue row total. It actually went down. How does 0 x 8 = -$7,280?
    Hello Taggart77,

To clarify, for the 'Taxes' box, you type '0' and hit enter to total the columns and it came up with this $7,280?

What year and version of Quicken are you running?

It sounds as though there may be transactions that are categorized as the parent category 'Taxes' and are not assigned a subcategory.

I would select 'All Transactions' to left and search "Taxes" and see if there are any expense transactions that are categories as just "Taxes" and see if that may be where this number is coming from possibly.

-Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka
    Okay, I fixed the taxes column by zeroing everything about. I have a huge amount of these sort of repairs to do. One master category has 21 subcategories. The subcategories, added up are $1,881.99. Quicken shows their total as -$4,032. There are no hidden subcategories.
    So, to fix it, I had to zero out all 21 categories. The blue "total" row was still wrong, so I zeroed that out as well. Then I went back and added in the correct amounts for all the subcategories. Now the blue "total" row is correct. Because this whole thing was correct months ago, I'm assuming it'll go wrong again in the future. This is a very annoying glitch.
  • willi1willi1 Member ✭✭
    You’re not alone on this. I’ve had this issue recur a couple of times after I’ve basically done what you did. Haven’t been able to find a pattern though. Not helpful but supporting your issue
This discussion has been closed.