Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Question about the institutionloginid error

I know this is typically something that is seen in the mobile sync process but I think there may be something more.

I use Fifth Third bank and have a checking account, savings account and a HELOC with them. Historically I have always had to use a "Loan" account to add the HELOC to my Quicken file. A few month ago the HELOC stopped syncing right around the same time I started getting the "institutionloginid" problem when syncing my mobile file.

Most of the troubleshooting information I see seems to think that the "institutionloginid" problem is quicken not sending the username across properly, but could it be that it's not sending the right ID for Fifth Third bank as an institution?

I ask this because I can start a new file and add my checking and savings account successfully every time but when I try to add the HELOC/Loan account it tells me that Quicken can't make a connection to Fifth Third Bank and when I try to add the checking/savings to mobile I get the institutionloginid problem. Could there be some broken background process around how Quicken looks for the actual institution when it connects for loans and/or the mobile sync?

Comments

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello Patrick Bimonte,

I apologize that you have not yet received a response, and also for any frustration you are experiencing caused by the error you continue to receive when syncing to mobile. 

What version/release of Quicken are you using? And what connection type are you using to link these accounts to Quicken? Do you download transactions and sync to mobile with any other accounts/Financial Institutions? If so, do they behave normally?

If you have not already, I would suggest reviewing https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856172/faq-common-mobile-web-sync-errors-and-solutions & https://www.quicken.com/support/troubleshooting-online-banking-issues-quicken-mobile-and-quicken-web. These provide more information and supply troubleshooting steps for mobile sync issues.

If the error message continues to persist, please contact Quicken Support at https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support. They have the tools and resources to further investigate the issue. 

Also, please review https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7851859/faq-how-quicken-connects-with-your-financial-institution-tips-tricks-and-best-practices for more information on connection types in Quicken.

Let us know how it goes!

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Patrick Bimonte
    Patrick Bimonte Member ✭✭
    Natalie, I've tried everything including creating an entirely new file, nothing seems to resolve the issue. Something I forgot to mention was that in the log files, I saw an error that said "quicken cannot determine the fi from the provided arguments" ... this to me says that there is something wrong with the data that the Quicken client is sending to the cloud service causing it to not understand what bank it's supposed to get the data from, it just confuses me that it would only be for the Loan and Mobile portion, but not the Checking and Savings accounts.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because LOC or HELOC accounts are "put-and-take" type accounts where you can take money out, pay it back, take more money out, pay it back, rinse and repeat ...
    In Quicken these types of accounts typically have always been set up as credit card accounts. In newer versions there's now a HELOC - account type that you can select when adding the new loan account.
    Which if these account types have you tried?
    How new is the new account? Have you received at least one statement with the new account appearing on it? If the account is "too new", it may not be available for downloading yet.
    OTOH, some banks need you to enable an account for downloading on the website (or you need to call them and do that for you) ...
  • Patrick Bimonte
    Patrick Bimonte Member ✭✭
    First off, thanks for the reply!

To start from the bottom up ... this HELOC has been open for 3 years, I originally set it up in Quicken as a Loan but sometime in the last several months, it stopped syncing, a couple of months ago I tried doing a deactivate/reactivate but was never able to reactivate and I've been in this state ever since.

I had tried both the Loan and the HELOC account type to no avail, I had not tried the Credit Card but when I did, it made me notice another failure mode. When using HELOC or Credit Card, the account discovery finds my Checking and Savings account with the option to ignore them, but when using the Loan type I get the "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)" and the message that Quicken is having trouble connecting to the bank even though I used the same Financial Institution in Step 2 of the account setup process.

Coupled with the "Quicken cannot determine the fi from the provided arguments" I found in the log files when troubleshooting the Mobile issue, 1. I'm now wondering if I was looking at a log file showing the attempted loan connection and 2. I just have a feeling that something is connected between these two failures.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patrick,
    if you want to pursue this, please call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review a download log file on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it. https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

For whatever it's worth ... I would not bother attempting to activate any loan or mortgage account for downloading.  (Not discussing LOC or HELOC accounts here)

An online-connected loan or mortgage account does NOT have a transaction register. All data shown in the account come from whatever information the bank downloads to you ... if this process works at all.

As a result of being connected, the scheduled payment transaction reminder cannot transfer the amount of principal paid into the (non existent) account register and must use a category, usually something like Loan:Principal, instead.

Effective with Quicken Windows 2018+  you can deactivate an online-connected loan account and regain full control over your transaction register.  However, you should still review the Scheduled Reminder (or Memorized Payee List entry) associated with the monthly loan payments to ensure they now transfer Principal to the loan account register and not a Category.

Users of Quicken 2017 and older:
    If you want to have full control over both the loan account register and the payment transactions you need to set up your loan account as a "manual loan account" and use the Scheduled Reminder created by the setup process to record your payment transaction on or before the due date.
    If you have already established a connected loan account and are having problems with it please take a look at this:

How to convert back to a manual loan
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7164936/faq-how-do-i-convert-a-loan-account-that-automatically-downloads-transactions-to-a-manual-entry-sc

• Now my AmEx account is throwing the "institutionloginid" error message.
  • ok, fixed the AmEx issue, it required a deactivate and reactivate ... I will try that with the original two accounts when I have more time because I have to go through and edit all of my online bill pay bills before I do it, here's hoping.
This discussion has been closed.