Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

My Quicken will no longer open QFX files - OL-221-A Error Capital One

My Quicken recently updated and now will no longer open QFX files from Capital One. I'm not trying to do an automatic connect... just open the file. The QFX file is downloaded to my PC and when Quicken attempts to open it, I get the QL-22A error. When I try to import the file, I get the same error. My Quicken is 2019, Version R20.15, Build 27.1.20.15.
I have checked for updates for both Quicken and Windows and have restarted.

Best Answer

Answers

• light user
    light user Member
    I have a similar issue since July 19. I download transactions at capitalone.com then open the qfx file in quicken to import the data. I noticed the format within the file is different than before even though they are both qfx files. The downloaded files that do not work have spaces or tabs within the file, the older qfx files do not. Also, the download page works slightly different than before. Before I used to be presented with a popup asking me to choose between downloading for a spreadsheet or financial software and then I was prompted with choosing the financial software. Now it goes directly to file type.
    I called capital one several times without success. I think it is a capital one issue since I have no issue with my other financial institutions.
  • light user
    light user Member
    edited July 2019
    The Capital one qfx file download is now working in quicken. I noticed the format in the qfx file is how it used to be. When I select "download transactions", the site behaves like it used to: I click on download transactions then select "financial software" and then select qfx file.

(edited for readability)
  • mbrophy
    mbrophy Member ✭✭
    When I attempt to import the Web Connect QFX file, I receive an error message. "Quicken is unable to complete your request. [OL-221-A] [OL-221-B] This started around Juley 20th, 2019. Any ideas or suggestions?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you coerce Quicken into refreshing the financial institution list: https://www.quicken.com/support/what-do-if-my-bank-not-listed-quicken-or-if-my-bank-was-recently-added-quicken

If the issue persists, I suggest you contact the financial institution.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    There are several Capital One options to choose from when activating an account in Quicken. Not all of them support QFX Web Connect imports. Check that the entity you hosting your accounts supports QFX and if it does, that you have selected that entity in Quicken for your Capital One accounts.
  • Will Belke
    Will Belke Member
    "The Capital one qfx file download is now working in quicken. I noticed the format in the qfx file is how it used to be. When I select "download transactions", the site behaves like it used to: I click on download transactions then select "financial software" and then select qfx file."

I had the same problem on morning of 7/27. I noticed the Capital One interface to download transactions did change slightly since my last download a few weeks ago. It could be a Capital One problem related to this update, no way to know. Quicken support please work with Capital One, what should have taken me 1 minute this morning took me 20 and becomes much more error prone.
  • jmartinca
    jmartinca Member ✭✭
    Receiving error message "Quicken unable to complete your request OL-221-A" when trying to load Capital One credit card transaction into Quicken.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you trying to import a QFX file from Capital One?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jmartinca
    jmartinca Member ✭✭
    Yes. It has worked in the past but all of a sudden I am getting this error message.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What is the name of the Capital One account FI? Web Connect is not supported for all Capital One FI's.
  • jmartinca
    jmartinca Member ✭✭
    Costco credit card. As mention the download was working until recently.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jmartinca said:
    Costco credit card. As mention the download was working until recently.
    US or Canadian Costco?
    US Costco is handled by Citi Bank, using "Citi Cards" as the Financial Institution Name.
  • wmjohnson
    wmjohnson Member ✭✭
    I am also seeing this error for the first time this evening with Capital One and Quicken. I have used this method for years without issue up until now.
  • LeroyJ
    LeroyJ Member
    I am also seeing this error from Capital One VISA.

Got it to work once with Tools the Online center.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What Is the exact name of the Capital One FI? Not all Capital One FI's allow importing Web Connect files.
  • It is Capital One Financial Corporation. (The Visa company.) I log into capitalone.com to get my Visa QFX download. The download has worked for 10+ years and worked as recently as July 11. It stopped working when my Quicken updated last week. Thanks.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    There is no Capital One Financial Corporation. Looks like only Capital One Card Services supports Web Connect.

• So it must be Capital One Card Services.

Greg - just to reiterate, at this point I'm not even trying to automatically connect. I am just trying to import the QFX file that was downloaded from the Capital One site. It worked on July 11 and now no longer works after last week's Quicken update.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I understand what you're trying to do. If you look at the file C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019\fidir.txt, it lists FI's and connection methods. Capital One Card Services is Web Connect, the others are Express Web Connect.
  • Barry
    Barry Member ✭✭
    This is exactly the same problem i am now having. For various reasons I have downloaded transactions from Capitol One for years in the form of a QFX file. I open the file with quicken and import my transactions. Not anymore. I am getting exactly the same error as Gerard. This has nothing to do with connection methods.
  • jmartinca
    jmartinca Member ✭✭
    I would tend to agree. Hoping they resolve quickly!
  • System
    System Member ✭✭✭✭
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Capital One transactions are not downloading. Anyone else having similar issues?.
  • System
    System Member ✭✭✭✭
    This discussion was created from comments split from: My Quicken will no longer open QFX files - OL-221-A Error Capital One.
  • mbrophy
    mbrophy Member ✭✭
    I have not been able to download files from Capital One since July 15. I can download a QFX file, but the file fails to import.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What is the exact name(s) of your Capital One account(s) that you're to import QFX files into?
  • gjnjmill
    gjnjmill Member ✭✭
    Ditto to all of the above. Trying to download to Quicken QFX file from Capital One. No luck...Error OL-221-A. So when with our new annual fee structure that highlighted continuous updates from Quicken - giving us the latest and greatest...., I would expect this error to be corrected in short order. I was wrong. Just fix this. Thanks.
  • System
    System Member ✭✭✭✭
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Capital One transactions are not downloading. Anyone else having similar issues?.
  • ebinder
    ebinder Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I know I have the answer to this issue of not being able to download the QFX file into Quicken and you get the error message OL-221-A and OL-221-B. I have called Capital One and told them what the problem is, but they are probably still ignoring the issue. They think they don't make mistakes. It appears they have changed a variable in the QFX file, which is in an XML format. I fixed my download by going into the QFX file and editing it. The workaround is to open the QFX file in an XML editor and hand-edit it. I used a simple find and replace command to fix the error. However, this is not a real solution this is a temporary fix until Capital One gets fixes the problem (edited language). Simply issue these commands on the QFX file: "find C replace with CREDIT, find D replace with DEBIT". It seems that someone decided a simple C or D for the transaction type variable (TRNTYPE) can use a simple C or D to identify the type of transaction. It will not work in Quicken. The transaction type must be identified as CASH or DEBT. This works, but I don't think I want to open every downloaded QFX file and hand-edit it. If anyone has influence with Capital One I suggest they call them and give them an ear full. I called them yesterday and told them what the problem was, but I thought I was talking to the wall.
  • ebinder
    ebinder Member ✭✭
    This publisher does not allow me to use the actual syntax. I put quotes around it and it still did not like it. instead of an open and close carrot, I will use an underline. Here we go for a 3rd try. find _TRNTYPE_C_/TRNTYPE_ replace with _TRNTYPE_CREDIT_/TRNTYPE_, find _TRNTYPE_D_/TRNTYPE_ replace with _TRNTYPE_DEBIT_/TRNTYPE_
  • RT anonymous
    RT anonymous Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    > @"RT anonymous" said:
    > In a nut shell ,Solution as defined in the the other comments
    > === CLICK ON "Quote ==== to read this message correcly

> Edit the downloaded data file and change the following, could easily be done with windows notepad
    >
    > FROM
    > <CURDEF>USD</CURDEF>
    > <TRNTYPE>D</TRNTYPE>
    > <TRNTYPE>C</TRNTYPE>
    >
    > TO
    > <CURDEF>CAD</CURDEF>
    > <TRNTYPE>Debit</TRNTYPE>
    > <TRNTYPE>Credit</TRNTYPE>
    >
    > Error in the Capital ONe Data file since the week of JUly 25th 2019