Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

ver 20.15 produces wildly inaccurate numbers

Immediately after update to v 20.15 all the numbers on all my accounts skewed. Cust Serv advises ALL my backups of ALL accounts must have suddenly been corrupted, v.20.15 is perfect. And I'm on my own to try to work out what my problem is. Is anybody else suddenly having problems?

Comments

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Can you walk through where the inaccuracies are? What steps did Quicken Support have you complete already? And do you have a backup prior to the 20.15 upgrade?
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    Yes, I backup daily. I've reloaded Quicken. After the problem appeared, I downloaded and installed Mondo. I'm not misstating the response, Quicken tells me ALL those must be corrupted. I loaded several backups while I was on-line with Support, validated the most recent. That didn't change anything. I kept showing the tech how, on Banking reports on my four bank accounts, the numbers suddenly showed tremendous over-drafts. And, I kept telling Support I used Quicken the day prior to the upgrade, there were no issues. Support kept telling me they were certain the problem wasn't in 20.15. I asked if there were any other programs I could use to try to rescue my data on the backups. "No." "Are you telling me I'm on my own to try to figure this out?" "Yes." That's an exact quote. It's impossible to believe, out of the universe of Quicken users, I'm the only user with this issue, and it just happened to start when 20.15 was loaded.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, confirming that Validate/Repair showed nothing in the logs?

We're working on something parallel here that sounds similar but can't draw conclusion yet.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857683/ending-balance-is-way-off-like-10-000-on-my-checking-account-in-quicken#latest

Can you find a date that the reports are not in error? Say 1 year prior, or 1 week prior? Are these cash flow reports? Net Worth reports?
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    The Reports that are skewed are Bank Summary, Cash Flow. I've tried to use saved REPORTS, with recent dates; I get the same errors.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    I read the report from someone with what sounds like an identical error: "If that is not crazy enough, the opposite happened to my checking account register. It shows a huge overage of my balance in my checking account but there are no un-accounted for deposits recently, and all my deposits are reconciled. There is no record of this extra deposit and once again, I verified with my bank what the correct balance is. The register is showing a balance 5 times my actual balance - again with no clue how or why." I've compared multiple times what Quicken suddenly shows ... with hard copies of what Bk of Am has on-line, which was correct until the install of v.20.15. Quicken's register has correct info that matches Bk of Am, the balance suddenly went higher.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Two things to look for:

1. Dates that the report does work accurately.
    2. Drill into the reports and see if you can identify the error driving the report.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    The Bk of Am account jumped by 1/3rd last Monday. It now shows that incorrect balance back as far as 2018.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Isolate the BoA and see how far back it takes you with incorrect data.
    Search for the exact value in the transaction search field in the register.

Are there any hidden accounts that have been closed but possibly are still connected with online settings?
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    The Banking Summary for YTD shows I'm overdrawn in the account that the Bk of Am, and ONLINE BALANCE at the bottom of the screen shows a positive balance. That's likely the key problem.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    No hidden accounts. Search doesn't find any transactions that match the amount in error.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    Again, the balances were equal prior to the v.20.15 install. Nothing has happened in the past 10 days that would account for the error.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Need to drive back then in time until you can find the last confirmed reconciliation. If the register is incorrect, something must be driving it.

What does the Validate/Repair log say?
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Tue Jul 30 14:44:58 2019]
    Validation has completed.
    ----------
    Everything is reconciled.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    The Register shows the online balance as positive (the Register not the report) and the overdraft? I want to confirm that its not just the Report that is skewed, but both the Register and the Report.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    Thanks! for the time you're working on this. The CASH FLOW, both YTD and last 3 months, shows I'm overdrawn and have been since last year. ENDING BALANCE on the far left bottom shows 1/3rd higher balance than ONLINE BALANCE. They matched prior to installing 20.15. There is no transaction that equals the difference between ONLINE and ENDING.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    I'm dyslexic, that should be far RIGHT bottom
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Any other accounts showing errors other than the four bank accounts?

Go to BoA online and the Statements/Documents and start pulling the 12/31 statements and work backwards in a reconciliation attempt.

Also, open the reconciliation window for the accounts and see if anything is in there. I don't think anything will turn up, just curious.

Go to Tools/Online Center, and drop down and select the BoA accounts and see if there is anything there.

Quicken user since 1994.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    TOOLS/ONLINE: same balances.

RECONCILIATION: nothing

Statements/Documents: Can't be done, Quicken has apparently added the extra money showing on the bottom right to everything back to ... I fear its 2010. My actual balances from the hard-copies I've checked (yes, I still get paper) are exactly minus the amount Quicken has incorrectly increased it to.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    How many backups do you have, and how many have you tried going backwards in time?
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Also, I just researched an item on rolling back to the previous version.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7854702/how-to-rollback-and-stop-automatic-updating
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    I've gone back to early July ... 7/5. I automatically backup to three on-site externals, two cloud daily.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    I apologize for taking your afternoon ... is this what I do?

I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, update by applying the appropriate Mondo Patch, and restoring a data file saved prior to updating from the earlier patch release. If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the appropriate Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows or http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

To prevent any automatic software updates, set your Windows UAC setting appropriately.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    I'm quitting for this afternoon, Tuesday, I'll do the install Wednesday AM after I get your reply. THANKS!
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Also this:

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Either move backwards with all of the backup files you have and see if something sticks, find an errant transaction that is driving the register, or reinstall up to the patch that was working prior and see if that resolves (at least short term).
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before you revert to the earlier release, I suggest you print the entire problematic registers export to text files.  Assuming the issue doesn't reappear in the earlier release, you should be able to determine the sources of the difference.

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    If you remember the date that it started to go wrong, you can also look into the OFX log and see if something weird happened there.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    at the distinct risk of appearing ungrateful: I know EXACTLY when everything started going wrong.

The morning v.20.15 automatically installed itself!

Everything was OK the day prior.
  • dancutrer
    dancutrer Member ✭✭
    I'm going to delay attacking the install of the prior version for a few days to see if there's any progress on the earlier report of the same error. At this point I don't have much faith in Quicken; I fear I'd only make my situation even worse.
This discussion has been closed.