Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Where do I restore to? (Q Mac)

dogsnbeaches
dogsnbeaches Member ✭✭
I'm having a regular problem with Citi (my credit card). Between one-step downloads not being able to access the account and duplicate entries being downloaded, I have decided to go back to manually entering transactions for this account.

My question is that I want to restore the backup I made yesterday (because the account is all wrong today). When I go to File>Restore from backup I am able to find my backup on a flash drive (as well as on my Mac). But my question is after I select the one I want to restore it asks me where I want to restore it to. Quicken is not one of the options.

Where do I want to restore it to?

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello pattygilbride,

Thank you for bringing your concern to the community.

What version/release of Quicken are you using?

Quicken for Mac default saves its data files to a Quicken Documents folder located in your Mac's hidden library. For more information on locating your data file(s), please review https://www.quicken.com/support/locating-data-files-quicken-mac

You may also find https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data informative, as it goes over saving and restoring backups. 

If you are still unable to find the location of your Quicken data file(s) or are still unsure of where to restore the backup to, please let us know so we can further assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You can restore it to pretty much anywhere you want. Some people have a Quicken file in their Documents folder. (Note that if you put it in any folder or loose in your Documents folder, or your Desktop, you must check your System Preferences > iCloud and make sure iCloud Drive is not checked, or if it is, click Options and make sure the checkbox for Desktop & Documents Folder is NOT checked.)

But if you want to put your Quicken data file back where Quicken defaults to, it's a little tricky. I'd first copy the file to your desktop. Then, in the Finder, hold down the Option key and pull down the Go menu to Library. (The Library folder is hidden unless you hold down the Option key.) Now, in the Library folder, navigate to Application Support > Quicken > Documents. This is the folder where Quicken by default places tour data file. So if you're replacing your existing data file from a backup and want to leave it in the same place, you can put it here.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dogsnbeaches
    dogsnbeaches Member ✭✭
    Jacob...ok, I understand that I can save it anywhere. But, then what? Am I going into Quicken and importing same file? I was under the impression when I Restored from a saved file (the one on the flash drive), I would be overwriting the existing file at the same time I moved it onto the computer. That's not how it works?
This discussion has been closed.