Home Quicken for Windows Paying Bills, Online Billers & Reminders (Windows)

Why does every transaction I enter in the register have a lightning bolt in the check number?

Why does every transaction I enter in the register have a lightning bolt in the check number column? I have seen people say this is for bill pay but I do not, and have never, used bill pay.

I honestly just want a simple register that also imports transactions from my bank. Why is this so hard to get right?

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go into Edit Account Details, Online Services tab for this Checking account.
    What does it say in the "Online bill payment" box? Is there a "Setup now" button or does it say that Online bill pay is activated?
    What version and release of Quicken are you using? Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to determine year/version and release.  You must be on the latest release (patch) level for your supported Quicken version. If you're missing patches, update your software first.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?

• CJRyanCJRyan Member ✭✭
    Online Bill Payment has Setup Now button.
    Quicken : 2019 R20.15 27.1.20.15 (latest version)
    Windows 10 : 1903
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

If none of the above helps solve the problem and nobody else chimes in with a better idea, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
      https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support.
      Phone support is only available during posted business hours. The phone number can found at this website.
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018/2019 Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • To start Chat, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• CJRyanCJRyan Member ✭✭
    Validate:

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:Removed 46 qel records for transfers not in register

Rebuilt investing lots.
    Validation has completed.

Super Validate:

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

Super validation has completed.

So, support chat it is I guess.

Thanks.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightning bolts should only show on online transactions, so what you are seeing is very strange. Do you also see Status in the Check # field? Does clicking on the bolt do anything? When I click on a bolt (or on Status), I get a pop-up window with a description of the transaction.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • CJRyanCJRyan Member ✭✭
    No Status, the bolt is the only thing in the check number column, and clicking the bolt does nothing but it does show a tool tip of 'Get Status of online payment'.
    Well, I'm baffled. If Quicken Support has an answer for you, please let us know. But I fear you have irreparable data corruption and they'll advise you to start a new file.  :(
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • CJRyanCJRyan Member ✭✭
    Well, that would be interesting as I just created this file on 7/22 and this started on 7/29.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @CJRyan

Thank you for reporting this issue to the Community.

May I ask, if you go to the Tools menu in Quicken and select "Online Center".  In the window that opens, does a "Payment" tab appear for any of the Financial Institution's listed in the drop-down menu?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • CJRyanCJRyan Member ✭✭
    @Greg_the_Geek

Yes, I use OneDrive and the file is at C:\Users\Chuck\OneDrive\Documents\Quicken.

@Quicken Sarah

No payment tab.
    Your Quicken data file should not be in a OneDrive folder. Move it to C:\Users\Chuck\Documents\Quicken. You might need to restore a backup if the data file is corrupted.
  • CJRyanCJRyan Member ✭✭
    @Greg_the_Geek

Moving it there would do no good as I, like a rather large portion of Windows user these days, have OneDrive set to manage the Documents, Pictures and Desktop folders. It would just move it right back.

I only access the file on this PC so there are no concurrency issues.

If it truly corrupts the file when being monitored by OneDrive, Quicken is in for a world of hurt with some of the new features being worked on by Microsoft.
    CJRyan said:
    If it truly corrupts the file when being monitored by OneDrive, Quicken is in for a world of hurt with some of the new features being worked on by Microsoft.
    Quicken predates home networks and common use of the Internet. It writes to the data file every time you enter or change anything. I imagine the disk writing code is dark and full of terrors and the programmers don't want to touch it. I don't have a deep understanding of OneDrive, but if it monitors every data update, you can see how it could be accessing your data often enough that Quicken can't handle it and corruption ensues.
    Since your data file is only a week old, you don't have much to lose by creating a new file in an area OneDrive doesn't look at. Something like C:\Quicken, for example.
  • CJRyanCJRyan Member ✭✭
    OneDrive does not attempt to sync a file if it is open for editing. So if it is actually causing Quicken to corrupt its own data files by just running in the background...

I appreciate the info but if Quicken cannot manage my data reliably then it does not matter how good the rest of the app is, after all file IO is not exactly rocket science when the OS has 90% of the process built in, so I think it is time to look at alternatives before my subscription renews... and this time I am really going to leave her... I meant it!

Thanks for your help everyone.
    edited August 2019
    CJRyan said:
    OneDrive does not attempt to sync a file if it is open for editing. So if it is actually causing Quicken to corrupt its own data files by just running in the background...
    I believe that Quicken does not hold the file open during a session, but does an open/write/close every time any data record changes. Ironically, this was to ensure data integrity by making sure every change got saved to disk immediately.
    Good luck with whatever substitute you find.
    CJRyan said:

I appreciate the info but if Quicken cannot manage my data reliably then it does not matter how good the rest of the app is, after all file IO is not exactly rocket science when the OS has 90% of the process built in, so I think it is time to look at alternatives before my subscription renews... and this time I am really going to leave her... I meant it!

Thanks for your help everyone.
    I could care less if you use Quicken or not. I'm just another user like yourself but I doubt you'll find anything as robust as Quicken. I can't believe you would rather "look at alternatives before my subscription renews" than just move your data file to a local hard drive and then backup to OneDrive.
  • CJRyanCJRyan Member ✭✭
    Actually I did create a new file and do just that, I did not say that I would not, I was responding to the other comments about the file code and the current direction of Windows. It did fix the issue with the bolt, again I assumed it would as just about every other issue I have had over the years has required rebuilding the file to fix, I am just finding it impossible to trust Quicken as data corruption seems to be the major theme with it.

The whole "and this time I am really going to leave her... I meant it!" was just meant to be a play on how many times I have tried to find an alternative and end up right back here... so a bad joke for a bad situation.

I do not agree with you about Quicken being particularly robust though... the only feature it has going for it is the import of transactions from the bank and that has been more and more problematic of late. The rest of the application is medium (UI) to low (Files) quality at best. I do not use any of the budgeting or investment features as the few times I tried I ended up having to rebuild my data file and it is just way too much work for more than just the registry.

And after successfully rebuilding the data file last night, I keep getting the OL-393-A error this morning when trying to connect to the bank... sigh.
    I say robust because I don't have problems. I don't remember the first version of Quicken that I used but I have transactions from 1985. All my accounts are Direct Connect except one which is Web Connect. I don't use Quicken Mobile or Quicken Bill Pay.

What bank is giving the OL-393-A  error ?
    CJRyan said:
     I am just finding it impossible to trust Quicken as data corruption seems to be the major theme with it.
    Quicken has a long history of corrupting its data. Please add your vote to this product idea.
  • CJRyanCJRyan Member ✭✭
    @Greg_the_Geek

I have it fixed.

For some reason it turned on the bill pay for the 2 checking accounts, it always turns them on by default when I add the accounts but I deactivated it last night and this morning it was apparently back on.
  • CJRyanCJRyan Member ✭✭
    Well, it is back to adding the bolt to my transactions again.

As far as I can tell it is not actually doing anything as clicking it does nothing and there is not status link in the box. So I guess I will write it off as yet another cosmetic bug in Quicken and just ignore it for now.

Hopefully it will not take years to fix like the triple click to get focus did.
This discussion has been closed.