Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Paying Bills, Online Billers & Reminders (Windows)

Manual Bills linked to Online Bills set recurring amount to $0

Consider this Scenario
* You setup a Manual recurring bill (say your electric bill)
* Set the bill to estimate of the last X transactions or Fixed amount of $X.XX
* Set the bill to recur ever month
* Link the manual bill to the online bill
* update the online bill when it is currently not due.
* bill is not set to Fixed at $0.00 all other aspects of the recurring bill are the same as they were originally set

What I'm finding is my projected Balances are off because non of my recurring bills have that are linked to an online bill and have not downloaded an updated amount due so the future instances are all set to $0.

It would be preferable if linked online bills only update "This Occurrence" and not "This and All Future Occurrences". And if there is no data downloaded don't change a thing. This is what I was doing manually, and will probably have to go back to as having the online bills constantly change my manual bills to the incorrect value makes it hard to determine what i'm doing.

(This is more of a feature update request than an actual bug. This is probably working as intended)
14 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Merlin GMerlin G Member
    I am having the same issue. It is very annoying and do not believe it was intended to work this way.
  • SunySuny Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue with linked bill reminders. Since R20.15, after the bill is paid and before the next bill arrives, the projected bill for future occurrences is changed to $0. Because of this, my future projections for variable linked payments are worthless. Why can't future occurrences for these linked reminders be changed so that they operate similar to manual bills with either a fixed or a variable projection?
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I agree this is an issue. It is one of the reasons I don't use Online bills.

If you want to attract the attention of the developers, please vote for this change by clicking on the little arrow at the left of the big blue box in the first post in this discussion. 
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • Bob_LBob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I am following this, I am seeing something different.  Today(8/17) I h ad a credit card bill of $20.09 due for 8/23 which I entered in the register with today's date.  I then closed and re-opened quicken and went to the projected balances page under the Bills and income tab.  With the time range set to 90 days I see payments due of 20.09 For Sept 23 and Oct 23 for that credit card account.  I do not see 0 amounts as others are seeing.  

My reminder is set up with "Estimate amount for me" set to OFF.

While I realize this does not provide the flexibility to use fixed amount or an average as the estimate, it does at least plan for the same amount as the last posting.  Not the best setup but also not 0.
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the problem is that if the bill is paid before the due date and the next bill has not posted yet, the amount due will show as 0.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • Bob_LBob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    That is my situation described above.
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • dagnabit2000dagnabit2000 Member ✭✭
    Same issue, but before the newest release I noticed the following unwanted behavior change that I do not recall the new release this started with:

I have a credit cards bill, for which the balance can vary wildly month to month, but on average they tend to be, let us say $1500/ month. I have an Online Bill setup to get the actual payment for each month, and I have a Manual Bill Reminder set up and linked for $1500 / month.

The behavior in the Calendar in the past was to show in the current month the Online Bill Balance and in the future months, Quicken would revert to the Manual Reminder amount or $1500 each month. This is exactly how I wanted it to work.

At some point over the last few months, the behavior was changed such that the new balance from the Online Bill is used for forecasting in future months and not the Manual Bill Reminder amount. I noticed it this month because we went on vacation and have a larger than average credit card bill that is forecasting out into the future on my calendar making my checking account look wildly over drawn month after month.

I cannot find a way to revert to the old behavior. Is this possible, if not, can it either be changed back to the old method, or a method to choose between the two methods of forecasting would be better.
  • VTron21VTron21 Member ✭✭
    At this point I have completely removed all of my online billers. They have not updated in the last few months. When viewing projected balances the graph and totals will show the withdrawal but there is no line item for it. The feature is completely useless in it's current form.

To make this a useful feature Online Bills should:
    1. Not set recurring manual transactions to $0 when the next bill is unknown, instead should use the Estimate amount feature for the maximum number of occurrences available and set the current most instances amount when the bill is known.
    2. Should always show as a line item in projected balances. Even if not linked to a manual bill.
    3. Actually update the amount due from the biller.

I feel that the point of the feature is to gather the next amount due of my bills. While not interfering with my ability to project if I have enough money to buy a new set of tires without using a credit card.
  • bazzabazza Member ✭✭
    edited September 28
    This idea is very closely related to https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7881211/display-linked-reminder-date-when-awaiting-next-bill#latest which also addresses shortcomings with the way that "Linked Reminders" and "Online Bills" work together.

Currently, when you link a manual reminder to an online bill, the online bill trumps the information in the linked reminder rendering the information in the linked reminder largely useless.

When Quicken does not yet have upcoming bill information, Quicken should use the linked reminder information. Once a bill is retrieved and fully accurate information available, then it can apply that. This approach would address a lot of these issues.

Please vote for both ideas so hopefully we can draw attention to these issues.