Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken crashes when trying to manually backup or when validating and repairing

I am running Quicken Deluxe version R 20.15 Build 27.1.20.25 and Q is crashing reproducibly in three circumstances:
1. I select Validate & Repair (Q quits within about 5 seconds)
2. I initiate a manual back up of my Quicken file.
3. I try to save a copy of my Quicken file

The automatic backups that Quicken makes are being made every day without a problem, so a copy can be made for the purpose of an automatic backup but can't be made manually. That seems weird.

Is there a way to recover from this?

[I did find a backup I made manually from 12/18/18 that validates just fine. Oddly, the some automatic backups made BEFORE 12/18/18 do NOT validate...Quicken crashes. I don't understand how a manual backup could validate fine while an automatic backup would not]

Thanks for any help you can be.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The three operations you've described each will temporarily close the data file and subsequently reopen the data file where as the automatic backup does not reopen the data file.  While it is certainly possible the data file is corrupt, I suggest you insure the data file can not be accessed by another program while it momentarily closed.  For example, you should not maintain the data file in a Dropbox, OneDrive, or Google Drive folder.  

This would be race condition which may explain why, for example, the 12/18/18 backup validated and some of the automatic backups made before 12/18/18 did not validate.

Normally, when another process sneaks in, there should an alert message informing us that Quicken cannot access the source file.  Quicken should not just exit.  If you're using multiple monitors and Quicken is not opened on the monitor you have set to be the primary, it possible the alert message miss fires.  
  • camner
    camner Member ✭✭
    Thanks very much for your comments. After painstaking work restoring various backups, I determined that automatic backups created before 4/23/19 will copy and validate, whereas any backup made after 4/23/19 will not. So, I suppose I have to conclude that file corruption occurred.

Is there any point in my taking that 4/23/19 backup and super validating and/or rebuilding investment lots as a way to get as clean a copy as possible?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    camner said:
    Thanks very much for your comments. After painstaking work restoring various backups, I determined that automatic backups created before 4/23/19 will copy and validate, whereas any backup made after 4/23/19 will not. So, I suppose I have to conclude that file corruption occurred.

Is there any point in my taking that 4/23/19 backup and super validating and/or rebuilding investment lots as a way to get as clean a copy as possible?
    I'd say no.  What may be more important is to understand the cause the corruption so it may be avoided.
  • camner
    camner Member ✭✭
    I suspect that the cause of the corruption may be that I've had a few spontaneous reboots occur, and if the Quicken file happened to be open at the time...

2 further questions, if I may...

1. In order to make the process of bringing the 4/23 file up to date, instead of trying to redownload all the transactions from the various banks/investments and recategorizing them, is there a reason I can't export transactions from the 8/5/19 (corrupt) file and import them into the good file?

2. I DO have the Quicken data file in a dropbox folder, but NOT to access from multiple machines...just for backup. Are you saying that this is poor practice? If so, is there any reason not to have the automatic backup files in a Dropbox folder?

Thanks again!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    camner said:
    I suspect that the cause of the corruption may be that I've had a few spontaneous reboots occur, and if the Quicken file happened to be open at the time...

2 further questions, if I may...

1. In order to make the process of bringing the 4/23 file up to date, instead of trying to redownload all the transactions from the various banks/investments and recategorizing them, is there a reason I can't export transactions from the 8/5/19 (corrupt) file and import them into the good file?

2. I DO have the Quicken data file in a dropbox folder, but NOT to access from multiple machines...just for backup. Are you saying that this is poor practice? If so, is there any reason not to have the automatic backup files in a Dropbox folder?

Thanks again!

1. You may attempt to export the transactions and import the transactions.

2. You are risking data file corruption if you continue to access the data file in the Dropbox folder.  https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-backup-my-quicken-file-using-dropbox-windows

For giggles, drag and drop the data file from the Dropbox folder into a local folder and try the File operations that were failing.
  • camner
    camner Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    > 1. You may attempt to export the transactions and import the transactions.
    I'll give it a whirl.

> 2. You are risking data file corruption if you continue to access the data file in the Dropbox folder.  https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-backup-my-quicken-file-using-dropbox-windows
    Thanks for the link. I'll change my workflow.

> For giggles, drag and drop the data file from the Dropbox folder into a local folder and try the File operations that were failing.
    Alas, the File operations still failed even after moving the data file out of the Dropbox folder, but it was worth a try.

Thanks again.

(I'm not sure why clicking "Quote" resulted in the message about "The quote had to be converted from Html to TextEx. Some formatting had to be lost," resulting in the formatting changing.)
  • I'm having the same issues since last week. I have used Quicken since way back (1990 or earlier?) and with several updates to new versions, apparently old data has become corrupted and finally broken down my file. Discouraging! I have spent hours online with Premier Help, but it looks like I'm out of luck. I'm open to other suggestions, though.
  • camner
    camner Member ✭✭
    The only thing I was able to do to recover was to painstakingly restore from backups until I found one that would validate correctly. Then I used Sherlock's suggestion of exporting from the corrupt file and importing into the restored file.
This discussion has been closed.