Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

why does my bank account ledger not show a running balance?

I did not update my Quicken 2015 and now the running balance does not show up

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Make sure the register is sorted in Date order.  Click the Date column heading to sort.  And check the filter settings at the top.  the Filter settings should be: 

"All Dates", "Any Type", "All Transactions".

• judyarnold
    judyarnold Member
    That's how I have the filter settings but still no running balance. Now I also notice that Feb., Mar. and April inputs are missing.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Judy, in the left sidebar, are you clicked on a single account? If you've clicked on one of the groups, like "Cash & Credit" or "All Accounts", there is no balance column because there is no balance for a group of accounts. If you've clicked on, say, your checking account, and then you've clicked on the Date header, you should see a running balance. (Is the Balance column visible? If not, click on Columns in the bottom toolbar and check Balance to make the Balance column visible.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • judyarnold
    judyarnold Member
    Thank you but when I click on columns down at the bottom "balance" is not a listed option. There is no balance column visible either.
  • jacobs
    What type of account is selected in the left sidebar/visible at the top of your transaction window? It sounds like you are on a Group (Cash & Credit, Investments) or Subgroup (Cash, Credit Card) instead of an individual account.
  • judyarnold
    judyarnold Member
    Well, it used to list checking and savings but no longer does. However, if I go to the second tab at the top of the ledger, I can select "checking" or "savings" and it shows me the correct account but still no running balance. In the upper right corner there is a "Today's balance" figure which is for correct but I like to see the balance projected out through future payments for budgeting purposes.
  • jacobs
    If you click on Spending or Income, there is no Balance column -- logically, there can't be a balance if you're only showing some of the transactions.

You must click on the Transactions tab (button) at the top of the screen.

What exactly does it say above the Transactions button. It should be the name of your credit account, the same as it appears in the left sidebar. In the left sidebar, the checking acocunt should be highlighted. Is that what you have? 

Here's an example from my file, with my account called "1-Checking". 

I've blanked out my dollar amounts and other accounts in the sidebar to keep it simple. Does yours look like this, with the account highlighted on the left and its name at the top of the main part of the screen, as I have here? The Transactions button is clicked. The filters are set for All Dates, Any Type and Any Status. At this point, you should have a Balance column showing, or if you click on Columns in the bottom toolbar, you should be able to select Balance to show it. And then, you must be sure that you've clicked on the Date heading so the register transactions are in date order (click on it a second time if you want them sorted in the opposite order).
  • judyarnold
    judyarnold Member
    Thank you so much! Yes, for some reason the checking and savings accounts had gotten collapsed into just cash and credit. So I added an account and immediately my checking info went there and my savings went into savings. Thank you so much for sticking with me on this - you fixed it!!!
  • jacobs
    Great! Glad you worked it out and are back in business. :)

P.S. Not that it helps you for now while you remain on Quicken 2015, but in subsequent versions of Quicken, they made a few small tweaks to the look of the sidebar to make headings clearer and make it clearer if a section of accounts is collapsed into a heading.
This discussion has been closed.