Does the Quicken Data file HAVE TO reside at: C:\Users\[USER]\Documents\Quicken Data ?

I am running Quicken Home and Business 2019 R16.22 Build 21.1.15.22 | Canada Edition which, I believe is the most current Canadian version. It is running on a Windows 7 Pro x64 machine.

Until the 2019 version, you could install Quicken on C:\ but have your data file reside on any other internal physical or logical drive. I have been using Quicken since the days of DOS and this has always been the case.

With this year's version, I had a lot of trouble with syncing to the cloud, data corruption and general mayhem with sync, the data and backups so, 6 months ago I called Quicken Support. At that time, I was told that for now at least, the data file HAD to live at C:\Users\[USER]\Documents\Quicken Data\

The support rep said that they were working on changing this. Does anyone know if this is still the case and if not, what the reason is for forcing us to use our C:\ drive to house DATA?

Like many folks, I reserve my C:\ drive for Windows and applications ONLY. I have a separate SSD drive that is used exclusively for Dropbox and sub-folders on it for various application data files. Like this:

E:\DROPBOX\App Data\Quicken\
E:\DROPBOX\App Data\Quicken\Backup
E:\DROPBOX\App Data\Snagit\
E:\DROPBOX\App Data\SQL2012 Data\

Also, any application that produces a .log file is located in a similar structure. Like this:

E:\DROPBOX\Logs\Quicken\
E:\DROPBOX\Logs\Snagit\
E:\DROPBOX\Logs\SQL2012\

Both drives are imaged nightly and the image stored on a physical, external drive array with FULL images done on Day 1 and Differential Change images each subsequent night for a total of 7 days. The whole process starts over when the 7-day cycle is complete and the next 7 days are stored on a different external drive in the array.

So, not only are there physical images (backups) done daily but obviously, all the files on the E:\ drive are also continuously being synced to Dropbox and stored in the cloud.

So now perhaps you can see how having an application like Quicken insist on storing data on the C:\ drive end up being a pain.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

Best Answer

Answers

• JonathanJonathan Member ✭✭
    OMG - of course. That makes perfect sense. I'll give it a try.
    Thanks!
    J.
This discussion has been closed.