Vanguard's switch to brokerage accounts

Recently Vanguard converted our 3 accounts, two deferred 401k's and a non-deferred investment account to brokerage style accounts to accommodate funds/stocks other than Vanguard funds. One IRA converted without an issue. The second IRA had an old style brokerage account attached to it as a separate account (that was the way Vanguard handled non-Vanguard funds originally). During the conversion process, the funds from the IRA were transferred into the old Brokerage account and the account was given a new account number. In the process (which was confusing to say the least) I download the file transfers but received an error on the account in running the one-step update. I've changed the account numbers and all the download information, updated the funds in the file but the account now the account is not recognized at Vanguard, no error but no update. When I try to "Reactivate" the online feature for this account, the list of files that is returned from Vanguard to choose from does not include the new account number for this particular account in the list and when I select "None of the above" it sends me back to the original page.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• jms2106jms2106 Member ✭✭
    I've tried many of the suggestions, deactivate, add, delete but the issue is that Quicken is not picking up the new account number. Is this an issue with Quicken?
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same problem. I just selected the old account number and everything worked fine.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    I'd love to do that, and I thought about it already but I hadn't used the brokerage account in over 5 years and Vanguard, being efficient, changed all the account numbers online so, no number! I'm sure I can get it though. I knew this was going to be a pain! Thanks so much. :)
    Upon investigation, it looks like they used my original IRA account # and just combined the two - so it's a mystery to me why the update isn't working. I looked back on an old year-end statement and saw the numbers were the same. I hate that Quicken uses placeholders - that only compounds the issues when you have a conversion like this. I turned them off.
    After a conversion with Vanguard it appears that the issue lies with Quicken. Greg the Geek recommended using the old number which worked for him, but that will only be a temporary fix. Apparently, Vanguard has run into this with multiple users and, while they provided Quicken with the new account information, Quicken has not fully merged the old/new numbers. So, replacing the update information with the old number is only a temporary solution.
  • JohnwellerJohnweller Member ✭✭
    I think same issue here, error message that Vanguard does not recognize the account numbers. Interesting that I voluntarily changed all my Vanguard accounts to brokerage style several years ago. At one point Vanguard did "close" or "deactivate" old account numbers after 1-2 years that were pre-brokerage which caused a similar issue as today. At that time I had to go into Quicken and close/deactivate those old account numbers from OSU. But as far as I know neither Vanguard or I have changed anything account number-wise recently, so not sure why suddenly the same type of message/problem.
    I'm not sure what's going on at Vanguard (or Quicken) but after much time spent I've resolved my issue. However, what became apparent to me during this process is that Quicken and Vanguard do not have a good working relationship, each casting the other as the bad guy in the relationship. You can call your Vanguard representative or adviser (if you have one) and have them arrange a conference call with a Vanguard tech representative. They can help resolve the issue over the phone.
This discussion has been closed.