Can Quicken add a global "Customize action bar" option to Preferences?

drew2u
drew2u Member ✭✭
edited September 2019 in Product Enhancements (Windows)
I just discovered the "Customize action bar" option under an account's Actions menu (open an account, press CTRL-SHIFT-N) and it's great. Problem is, I now want to update 20 accounts to have my new choice of Action icons on each register window, and it seems the only way to do this is one account at a time.

Is it possible to update the Action bar in multiple registers all at once? I can't find a way, so I suspect not.

Also, I did a search, and the last time this was asked about here was 2013 or so, before Quicken changed owners.

Now that we have new show-runners, seems like updating the Preferences > Register dialog page to add an [Action Bar] button alongside [Fonts] and [Colors] would be a perfect place to give a global option to customize the Action Bar across all registers.

Anyone else like to see this or think it could be useful?

My setup: I'm using Quicken Deluxe 2019 for Windows, latest version R20.15.

Note: I didn't know which Category to use to ask this question, so mods please move as appropriate.
Tagged:
10 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Hello drew2u,

Thank you for bringing this suggestion to the community!

I went ahead and turned this discussion into an Idea thread so that other users are able to vote on it. Our developer's review Idea threads to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• drew2u
    drew2u Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Natalie said:
    > Hello drew2u,
    >
    > Thank you for bringing this suggestion to the community!
    >
    > I went ahead and turned this discussion into an Idea thread so that other users are able to vote on it. Our developer's review Idea threads to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Natalie

Thank you Quicken Natalie!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @drew2u:  One of the challenges I would foresee in a global application is that not all "Actions" are applicable in all accounts.  This is evident by looking at the customization available for banking accounts (2-line display) versus investment accounts (Download Quotes).  So how might you address that type of issue?

I think I might favor an option on the Customize Account Bar specification window to "Apply to similar accounts" meaning accounts of the same character - banking, investing, property & debt.  Make a change to one account's action bar and it (optionally) applies to all other similar accounts but does not alter the setup for other account types.

FWIW: It appears that the Action bar customization was first introduced in 2013.    
  • drew2u
    drew2u Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @q_lurker: Very valid point. You're right, it would require setting up the Action bar icons for all similar account types.

So it could be addressed in Preferences with a new page for Action Bar icons listing each account type. The benefit here is a new user reviewing their overall Quicken settings is more likely to be exposed to this customization, and it gives a one stop location to quickly tweak settings across the account types.

It could also be addressed in real-time: when a user is viewing an account chooses to edit the Action Bar, those changes would be applied to all accounts of the same type. The benefit here is it's easy to do without drilling into Preferences and you can instantly see the resulting set of action bar icons.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest this function simply be added to the Customize Action Bar view, as a new button:
    where "[type]" = Checking, Savings, etc. account type.

A similar function already exists when modifying columns in your account registers:
    Clicking the gear icon at the bottom of the Register Columns view already gives you a "Make all [type] registers like this" function, where "[type]" = 2-line Checking, etc.
  • drew2u
    drew2u Member ✭✭
    @UKR : That's a very reasonable approach, keeps it consistent with existing behavior. I like it!
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team
    -Quicken Anja
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please forward to the programmers for consideration.