Entries disappearing

Hello all,
I update my quicken files weekly. I noticed last week that quicken would not display any entries after January 2010. I thought it was a minor glitch, and went ahead with my weekly update. This week I opened quicken again, only to find that everything I entered last week has also been deleted. I have no information for the last 9.5 years! It has been quite a long time since I saved a backup file, so I'm hoping there is another way to retrieve my information. Quicken has been so glitchy for me for the last several years, that I'm not sure I want to continue using it at this point, but don't want to start over. I have never used the mobile app, but opened it today to see what it might sinc up with. It will only pull up two accounts that I opened this year.

Thanks for your help,
Angela

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AngeladHAngeladH Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response, but no, it's not a filter on the register. This has happened with every single account. Unless there is some way quicken can apply a certain filter across every account? I certainly have never used the filters, so not sure how that could happen.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Could you be opening the wrong file?  Like a backup file instead of your current file?  How do you open Quicken and your data?
    I just open the Quicken program and start working. I don't ever select a file to work from, it opens automatically. It's just called Qdata.qdf. When I make a backup, I put it on a portable hard drive that I keep in a fire safe.

I just found a backup folder on this laptop with backup files which started saving apparently in Nov 2018. These are not files I intentionally backed up or created myself.
    I just tried the "validate" operation, which did not retrieve my missing information.
  • Gary K. MasseyGary K. Massey Member ✭✭✭✭
    I can't help you retrieve any missing information but if you do get back up and running may I suggest that you start backing up your files on a regular basis.
    You should always have at least 3 or more backups of your Quicken data. The backup on your computer - a backup to a thumb/flash drive - a backup to an external hard drive. 

If the only backup to restore from is only on your computer and it is "bad" then you probably have lost your data. That's why you should have more than just one backup so if your computer crashes or you accidentally delete your backup you have another source to perform a restore. Had you performed regular backups, it would be easy to restore your data from one of your backups. It appears you haven't been backing up at all except for the backup Quicken automatically performs when you exit Quicken.

Have you tried going into your Quicken backup file, finding the most recent backup and restoring your data?
    Click on file
    select Backup and restore
    Select restore from backup

A window will open "Restore from Backup File" Select the most recent backup and restore that backup.
    I actually did find a backup from July, which I restored. Downloaded info/updated all of my accounts, then closed the program. Re-opened it, and once again all information dated after Jan 2010 was gone.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    It's directly on my hard drive. I have not moved it.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    But exactly where?  He wants to know the full path like C: Documents/Quicken/filename.qdf

And how long is your file name? Is it getting longer with the backup dates added to the end of it?   Quicken sometimes gets picky and wants your file name to be 8 characters or less with no spaces. So if your name is longer you might try renaming it to something shorter. After you change the name then close and open Quicken again. The first time you will have to browse to your file that you renamed. But after that it should remember.
    I really don't understand exactly what the file location matters.

Original file which lost all info after Jan 2010:
    C:\Users\Angela\Documents\Quicken\Qdata.qdf

New file which I restored from a backup that also then lost all info after Jan 2010 when I closed the program:
    C:\Users\Angela\Documents\Quicken\Qdata restored.qdf

Original location of file that I restored (after discovering that Quicken had been backing up my file without my knowledge every time I used it to this location since Nov 15, 2018:
    C:\Users\Angela\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP\Qdata-2019-07-16.PM02.43-R-19.55.QDF-backup

When I intentionally back up the file, it goes on an external hard drive f:\

This began happening after the latest quicken update July 9.

I'm thinking that I should uninstall quicken and re-install a new, whole copy if I can find a way to do that without being charged again.

-Angela
    Greg - I followed the instructions in the link you provided. I have gotten to the point where I am installing Quicken again, and I get this error:

Your computer is trying to install more than one program. Complete the other installation before proceeding with Quicken. Error code 1618.

Will restart the computer and try one more time.
    Well, that was a total waste of time.

I successfully reinstalled Quicken. I restored my backup file from July. I downloaded info for all of my accounts. I started going through and accepting the new transactions. Suddenly, Quicken just shut down. No warning. I restarted it, and my file is again missing all transactions after Jan 2010.

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!

As a side note - all accounts that have been added AFTER Jan 2010 are there, but have no transactions in them.
    Are you using OneDrive?
    No, I am not using OneDrive.
    What version of Windows are you using? Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and running Quicken?
    Windows 10.
    What version?
    It says Version 1803
    That version is more than a year old. You might try upgrading to the latest version (1903). I don't know if it will fix your problem but I'm running out of ideas. You can also try contacting Quicken Customer Service who can do a screen share with you.
    The 1903 update isn't available for my device yet.

Thanks for your help!
    Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and running Quicken?
    I have not tried booting in Safe Mode. Would have to look up how to do that.

I have updated Windows, not to 1903, but it is updated from what I had. Also, Quicken wanted to do an update even though I JUST re-installed it. After both of those updates were done, it SEEMS to be working. For now. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your help.
    -Angela
    Spoke too soon. Closed the program one more time to double check. Once again, all my transactions after Jan 2010 are gone.
    Direction from Customer Service: keep trying older and older data files until you find one that is not corrupted (by first trying to copy the file, and then trying to validate it - find one that will copy and then has no damaged data entry records). In other words, you are starting over with a new file. 22 years of data swirling down the drain. No way to tell how it got corrupted, no way to prevent it from happening again. Awesome. Thanks again for everyone's assistance.
This discussion has been closed.