Discover Card and Discover Bank direct connection error OL-294-A

I am getting an error OL-294-A when I attempt downloading from Discover Card and Discover Bank.  I went to the Discover web site and there are no warning notices about Quicken issues.  Is anyone else having this problem?
Windows 7 - Quicken Home, Business, and Rental Property, Release 21.16.

Comments

• Yup. Same here.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see it also. Looking at the Connection Log, Discover appears to be trying to access a new server compared to previous days.
  • ecrtiqueecrtique Member ✭✭
    Also having this issue.
  • KK Member ✭✭
    +1 for same
  • Pungh0li0Pungh0li0 Member ✭✭
    Same here!
  • GaryGary Member ✭✭
    One Step Update Settings shows "Discover Card: error recovery" I never set anything like this up. How do i remove this?
    (Note: My Discover Card Account Center is also there and works fine.)
  • PhilipPhilip Member ✭✭
    edited August 13
    Same here.

I went to Discover Savings thru the browser, I see that they are now using 2-step verification, this wasn't so before. That must be crashing the Quicken interface.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To clear the status from the One Step Update Summary, I suggest you delete the runtime.dat file Quicken maintains within the hidden ProgramData folder for the data file. 
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • GaryGary Member ✭✭
    sorry, it is not a status message. It is in the account listing where the check boxes are for selecting which accounts to update.
  • larschnurlarschnur Member ✭✭
    same problem, started aug 13. 2019 running version R20.15
  • Rod WilliamsonRod Williamson Member ✭✭
    I had the same thing. What I think it is, Discover Card has enhanced their Direct Connect requirements. You can call Discover Card and they will set you up. I have only the Credit Card Account. I deactivated my old Direct connect and ran the setup again using the Express Connect. Worked perfectly. You may have to delete your newly downloaded transactions since they downloaded 256 days worth of transactions.
  • Jeff SkeltonJeff Skelton Member ✭✭
    first it was american express, now its discover
  • Alan ChinniciAlan Chinnici Member ✭✭
    I too have this problem with Discover. Something has been changing from Quicken's side since I've recently had multiple download failures on multiple credit card accounts after many years of satisfactory downloads. I've made 4 calls to Quicken customer support which solved most (not all) of the issues, with Quicken telling me that one of my download issues is a known problem they're working on. My Discover Failures started appearing today and aren't resolving.

Quicken - please assign capable resources to solving all of these credit card transaction download issues for all of us! We are paying a subscription to you for this service.
  • Quicken NatalieQuicken Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello all,

The reported errors regarding Discover Bank and Discover Card are an emerging issue and we are currently investigating the cause and working to identify a solution. 

Please reference https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7858455/new-8-13-19-discover-card-and-discover-bank-returning-ol-294-http-503-error#latest for any updates regarding this Alert.

We appreciate everyone's patience as we work to get this resolved!

-Quicken Natalie
    -Quicken Natalie 

• Randall SassRandall Sass Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same problem. I echo Alan's comment -- Quicken, please assign capable resources to solve these credit card (I will also add bank) download issues for all of us. And yes, we are paying for this service!
  • I had the same issues, I decided to deactivate and reactivate Discover to see what happens and I ended up with a blank error pop up screen on quicken, and I was only able to get out of it by terminating the application.
    I reached out to Quicken support and they said it is the bank issue and to wait 24 hours. I tried over and over explaining that even if it is a bank issue I dont expect Quicken to crash this way. this is a paid application and applications are expected to have a graceful error recovery method. the support person kept insisting that it is a bank issue and not theirs. he did not even bother to ask for a screen shot to understand what I am talking about.
    See attached image for the error that i received. I don't think it is an acceptable result.
  • PhilipPhilip Member ✭✭
    Still failing for me this morning. However, since the OSU failed yesterday for Discover Bank Quicken wanted to retry it in order to run another OSU today. So it ran a download for Discover alone and it worked. I then ran a OSU and Discover Bank failed again. Discover Bank Error OL-294-A

Also, there is no update from Quicken Natalie on the status of this issue.
  • GaryGary Member ✭✭
    Error resolved on its own today. Thanks for the responses.
  • moore_jackmoore_jack Member ✭✭
    Before August 13, Quicken Mac was connecting to https://ofx.discovercard.com for a direct connect connection type. Now it is connecting to https://services.quicken.com/ofx-secure-plus/7101. That server appears to be configured to return the value "Test". I suspect that someone turned this live while still pointing to a test environment. And BTW, https://ofx.discovercard.com still works perfectly. All of this can be observed in the OFXlog.
  • Looks like "Quicken" has washed their hands of this and they have posted phne numbers for Discover and expect each of us to call.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14
    Before August 13, Quicken Mac was connecting to https://ofx.discovercard.com for a direct connect connection type. Now it is connecting to https://services.quicken.com/ofx-secure-plus/7101. That server appears to be configured to return the value "Test". I suspect that someone turned this live while still pointing to a test environment. And BTW, https://ofx.discovercard.com still works perfectly. All of this can be observed in the OFXlog.
    Which sounds more like a quicken issue than a Discover issue.  Unless Discover is using a redirect to the new server, the most likely cause is Intuit has jumped the gun and is feeding the test server to Quicken users.

Adding- testing the links proves that Discover is not re-directing a call to the old server. The new server does return "Test" as reported. My money is on Intuit being the cause since Quicken still relies on them for the connections to the banks.  Let's hope QuickBooks is also affected so that the problem gets a little more exposure.  But if this is Quicken testing it's new connection pathways, then Intuit products would not be affected.
  • sagsag Member ✭✭
    Icalled discover and they have no issues....gave me the number to call Quicken....I am so tired of this...spent two days now....Let me know if anyone has a fix...I have used quicken for 20 years.....and never had this much trouble....If I have to download manually....why buy the new verison each year???
  • RChanRChan Member ✭✭
    - Tried to download this morning, still same issue.
    - Went in Account Details, Deactivated online service. Clicked on General tab and erased info in Account Number and Financial Institution fields.
    - Clicked on Add Account to add Credit Card. Typed in "Discover Card" in the search field, it came up 3 choices; 2 of them are "Discover Card", "Discover Card Account Center". I switched to choose "Discover Card Account Center" and it set up online service successfully.
    - Rerun OSU again. It works fine.
    I went back to check the info in the Account Details General Tab. It reflects the financial institution = Discover Card Account Center. Also, the Account Number field now filled only the last 4 digits (with 12 x's represent the first 12 digits) of the card number instead it was the full account number previously.
    So, I think I probably connected to the new server.
    Hope this is it!!! :-)