Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken unexpectedly shut down

This discussion was created from comments split from: Quicken Shuts Down.

Comments

• S Gregory
    S Gregory Member
    Quicken unexpectedly shut down. I was able to reopen it and continue working. Now when I try to open quicken it says it unexpectedly shut down last time i was using it and wants to send an error report. I sent the report but it won't let me open quicken. I keep getting the same message wanting me to send an error report. It can't get beyond that. What the heck?!? I just want to get on and pay some bills before their late.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21354.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.867

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you restore a recent data file backup you saved before Quicken unexpectedly shut downhttps://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • cstrubhar
    cstrubhar Member ✭✭
    I'm having the exact same issue. If I restore the old file, I'm able to work within that file. But then when I exit, I get the same issue upon trying to reopen the saved file. I spent 2.5 hours on phone with support yesterday to have them conclude it wasn't a Quicken issue.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • cstrubhar
    cstrubhar Member ✭✭
    Not using any of those. My quicken file is located at C:\Users\myname\documents\quicken. My backups are on a network drive at my employer. FWIW, none of that has changed and the issue just arose last week. Thanks.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @cstrubhar - If you are using an employer computer on a network, it is possible they pushed a group policy enabling Controlled Folder Access or something similar.  Employers aren't generally very supportive of employees loading 3rd party software on their machines.
This discussion has been closed.