In use by other application

When I opened Quicken today the first screen I got was asking if I was upgrading or a new account. I clicked on the file button, clicked on open a Quicken file and clicked on my last back up. Got the "cannot open because in use by other application" Okay, exited, went directly to the last back up and clicked Open in Quicken" Got the message unknown backup need to download Quicken 2004. Tried to open number of other back ups, couldn't do it. Every update creates more issues with this program. Will not renew after over a decade!

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you reboot Windows.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Fred PragerFred Prager Member ✭✭
    Did that, twice. This is the message I get when I try to open any Quicken file. I was actually going to try this but cannot find Quicken 2004 on the Quicken website. Already downloaded the latest version.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did that, twice. This is the message I get when I try to open any Quicken file. I was actually going to try this but cannot find Quicken 2004 on the Quicken website. Already downloaded the latest version.
    I would advise against attempting to use Quicken 2004 to access your data file.

I suggest you press the Ctrl key while opening Quicken and select File > Find Quicken Files... to locate a good recent data file or backup.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    Tried that with four different back up files. Get the same Convert Quicken file each time. Have downloaded the latest 2019 Quicken and think I will try to unnistall the file I have and reinstall it. Your thoughs?
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not clear what  version you were on prior to upgrading to "latest version". If you were not on a recent release and purchased, Quicken Subscription will not open the data file without conversion.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
    I have been on subscription for over three years. All my files are backed up directly from the current issue of Quicken. All the back-ups are shown as Quicken QDF back ups. One thing I don't understand is that I am running Windows 10 home 64 bit but there doesn't seem to be a 64 bit version of Quicken. This was never an issue but with all the updates, knows. Actually I am about ready to give up on Quicken completely. If there is no way to resolve these issues then I will just not renew in November. There are to many errors after the latest update that seem unsolvable. Thanks for your help.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem you are experiencing is highly unusual. Now knowing you are on subscription, you should never see this error condition unless your file is corrupt. When was the last time you validated your data file? You will need to restore from a backup as far back as needed to clear the error condition. Once you have a file the opens "normally", validate it to check for additional error conditions.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
    Well that seemed to work. Now all I have to do is restore two months worth of data unless I can locate a later back up that works. Thanks
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    Problem solved. It would appear all the back up files were corrupted. I finally had to go back to mid June to find one that worked. Now all I have to do is update two months worth of activity. Thanks for all your help.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, what is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup? Keeping your data file on a cloud drive can cause corruption.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10