Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Unable to open Quicken, it is in use by another application

Comments

• Fred Prager
    Fred Prager Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I tried to open my Quicken 2019 today and first got the message Quicken was in use by another application.
    . I clicked on my last back up (09 Aug 2019) and was told I needed to download Quicken 2004 to open the file. I tried to open some of my other back ups (daily) but get the same message or the Application in use message. Every time Quicken update it seems to cause nothing but problems. Will not renew after over a decade of using the program. Also no one seems to ever get an answer to inquiries. (edited)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you get message the data file is in use by another application, it means Windows has told Quicken the file is open by another program.  If this is not correct, I suggest you reboot Windows.

When you get the message telling you need Quicken 2004 to open the file, it means Quicken was able to open the file but did not recognize the data format.  If the file you attempted to open was a Quicken 2019 data file backup, I suggest you reboot Windows.

If the issue persists, I suggest check the disk and test the system memory.
  • Michael Jones
    Michael Jones Member, Windows Beta Beta
    If after reboot you are still having an issue...

Are you using active-backup software or have your data file in a directory on your computer where something like Dropbox, Onedrive, Google Drive, etc. are grabbing the file and backing it up to another location automatically? 

Those can result in file errors as they do funny things to the file access that the OS sees.  Maybe try copying the file to another location and launching it from there to see if that changes anything?  It can also corrupt files as Sherlock notes, because the software in the background is trying to synch bit changes to the file while it's open in some cases.  

Same if the file is on a network share, NAS, etc...  Quicken has long recommended against having your primary working file anyplace but local for this reason.

In Windows 10 I've now had pretty good luck with having my file in OneDrive and synching, but it took a long time for Microsoft to get the file handling right before I quit having similar issues. 
This discussion has been closed.