DON'T auto-categorize transactions

jon380jon380 Member
I literally thought this was a bug for the last 2 weeks. 3 Quicken support agents also thought it was a bug.

Quicken Web does NOT respect Memorized Payees as set on Windows Quicken.

Quicken Web WILL automatically categorize any transaction set to uncategorized.

THIS IS AWFUL. I set transactions to uncategorized when I don't know what we bought (eg. amazon, walmart, some generic store) and I need to go back and look at a receipt. What does quicken do? Assign it some category (last used?), so now I have no way of ever finding that transaction again, and it is probably miscategorized.

Quicken Web NEEDS an option to DISABLE autocategorization.
0 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• jon380jon380 Member
    Quicken on the web always assigns a category to my uncategorized transactions. Even when I have a memorized payee with no category set to "Never auto assign". I was on support for 1 1/2 hours. I opened a new chat. The agent disconnected the conversation after 2 minutes.

I have spent a total of 5 hours after work this week, an hour a day, with quicken support trying to resolve sync issues.

Somebody please fix the sync already. Engineering leadership is terrible to have this many issues. Quicken Web looks awesome and so easy to use. Lots of custom reports on Windows. But sync is broken in 3 different ways for me and support hangs up on me (I wasn't being rude in the least!!!).
  • jon380jon380 Member
    The fourth support person I chatted with told me this is intended behavior:

1) Quicken Web does NOT respect your Memorized Payees.
    2) Quicken Web WILL ALWAYS categorize your uncatalogued transactions. So it is pointless to set them to uncategorized to come back to later

To me this is a bug. I can't set "Walmart" to "Uncategorized" then come home to the wife and ask what she bought. Quicken will always assign it a category.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about ... until the Quicken programmers get that changed, create a category "Unsure, needs categorization" or something similar. Categorize your manually recorded purchases to this category instead of leaving the category blank.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jon380jon380 Member
    That won't work. It appears web sets the category to the most recent transaction with the same name's category. It ignores Memorized Payee.