When I close Quick for Windows I lose the last year data

Every time I close Quicken for Windows (year 2019 Version R20.15 Build 27.1.20.15), I lose every transaction back to April 2018. This defect seems to corrupt my archived files as well, when I open them. I am getting tired of burning my archived copies and am being forced to re-enter more and more data every time I try. Help!

Best Answer

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jeffarmstrong
    jeffarmstrong Member ✭✭
    I am unable to see your response in the Quicken Help thread. But what I mean by burning archived copies is that the archived or back up copy I open becomes corrupted as well, when the Quicken file is closed. I started using Quicken for Mac in the 80's, switched to Windows in the 90's and have been using it since. This data corruption is very frustrating.
  • jeffarmstrong
    jeffarmstrong Member ✭✭
    Greg the Geek, I am storing a backup in several places. I have a desktop windows PC in my office. I create a backup every time I use Windows. A copy of this backup is stored on the hard drive, a USB stick, the Drobo attached to my network, my Synology NAS as well as Carbonite.

I use the USB stick backup when I am away from my office desktop and am using my laptop.
  • jeffarmstrong
    jeffarmstrong Member ✭✭
    My comment about not seeing your post in the thread was directed at Steve Cannon, whose response I am able to see in a notification but not in this thread.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Again, what is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My comment about not seeing your post in the thread was directed at Steve Cannon, whose response I am able to see in a notification but not in this thread.
    That particular response appears to have been removed either by a Community Moderator. Ignore it.

As to your problem: Are you sure, when you reopen Quicken that your account register isn't filtered in an unusual way, e.g., Date Range = "last 12 months" instead of "All Dates"?
    The question about the full path of your Quicken data file is to find out if your active Quicken data file is directly accessed by a cloud sync backup program. This can lead to corruption of your data file. But, creating a backup while closing Quicken and sending the backup file to the cloud or an external USB device is OK.
  • jeffarmstrong
    jeffarmstrong Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Again, what is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? 

C:/user/dad/documents/quicken

is the path for the primary file.

I don't use any cloud back ups, per se. My back ups are all done locally. As I mentioned, I use a USB stick, Drobo and NAS for local back ups. These are automatically stored to the cloud with the automated Carbonite service.

I do put a copy every 6 months manually (meaning copy and paste, not utilizing the built in Quicken functionality) to both Google Cloud and Dropbox.

I have yet to be able to confirm this, but it appears the corruption occurs when I run the built in Create Backup up function. I get an error message stating program can't access disk and proof. . . over a year of transactions is gone.

I get the same whether on my desktop or laptop. This just started happening in the last week.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version of quicken on both these computers.
  • jeffarmstrong
    jeffarmstrong Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > That particular response appears to have been removed either by a Community Moderator. Ignore it.
    > As to your problem: Are you sure, when you reopen Quicken that your account register isn't filtered in an unusual way, e.g., Date Range = "last 12 months" instead of "All Dates"?The question about the full path of your Quicken data file is to find out if your active Quicken data file is directly accessed by a cloud sync backup program. This can lead to corruption of your data file. But, creating a backup while closing Quicken and sending the backup file to the cloud or an external USB device is OK.

Thank you.

I will check the date range. Driving for the next 3 hours, so can't do anything for a while.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Can you give us the exact error message you receive when you try to create a backup from Quicken? Is Carbonite automatically backing up your Documents folder? If so, have you tried pausing Carbonite while using Quicken?
  • jeffarmstrong
    jeffarmstrong Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Can you give us the exact error message you receive when you try to create a backup from Quicken? Is Carbonite automatically backing up your Documents folder? If so, have you tried pausing Carbonite while using Quicken?

Thank you, Greg! You have sparked a thought for me. I've been using Carbonite for several years now with no problems like I am currently experiencing. I'm not ruling this out as a possible concern and will be wary of it going forward. However, the Synology NAS is a newer addition over the past year. The problem started rearing it's ugly head shortly after I recently (in the past couple of months) added the Synology Cloud Station Backup functionality to my laptop. And I am starting to see it happening on my desktop, as well, when this backup is functioning. I will either pause this Synology backup or completely disconnect from the internet when backing up Quicken going forward. Carbonite is not in play on my laptop, only the desktop.

As to your request for the exact error message, I am hoping these are now behind me. However, should it come up again, I'll snag a screenshot and share.

Thank you for your help!
  • jeffarmstrong
    jeffarmstrong Member ✭✭
    For the good news, the error messages are no longer appearing.

I have removed (uninstalled) the Synology backup software from my laptop. When I simply close the Quicken file, it appears to be maintaining file integrity. However, if I choose to create a backup file, this seems to be when the corruption occurs.

I am at an absolute loss! Back to square one, needing to get this behind me!
  • jeffarmstrong
    jeffarmstrong Member ✭✭
    Doh . . .

Not only am I losing data, I see new categories are being created. For example, I have categories called Checking and Mastercard. I just saw this morning, I now have a few new categories, Checking 2 and Mastercard 2. These categories are populating several random transactions.

Grrr . . .

Tax time is rapidly coming up, not needing this confusion at this time.

It is my understanding that the file size for Quicken is only limited by the media the file is being written to. In my desktop, I have a 1 tb SSD, in the laptop, a 500 gb SSD and am using a 128 gb USB stick. None of these are over 50% full, so ample storage available.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Are you syncing to the Quicken Cloud?
  • jeffarmstrong
    jeffarmstrong Member ✭✭
    Yes, Greg, I just yesterday did a sync to the Quicken cloud, that is when the extra categories appeared.

It seems every time I try something, something else goes haywire. Not sure what is going on here, but nothing seems to be very intuitive with Quicken at this point. I've been using the product, various versions, of course, for over 30 years, never had the problems I am having at this point. I track a wide variety of financial transactions and have come to trust and rely on Quicken. That confidence is rapidly eroding for me.

Thank you for bearing with me. As a professional problem solver in a manufacturing environment, I realize good information is needed to determine true root cause. Please keep asking me questions to guide us to the root cause. I will provide the answers as I can, but please understand that in the Quicken arena, I don't know the questions to ask. I appreciate any and all help that can get me to a resolution sooner than later.
  • jeffarmstrong
    jeffarmstrong Member ✭✭
    By the way, I believe this Quicken cloud sync performed yesterday was the first I have done. As you can see, I take extra measures to keep copies of my data readily available, should something go awry.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest deactivating cloud sync. Your desktop data file will remain stable. You may also want to restore prior to the cloud sync.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    GeoffG said:
    I would suggest deactivating cloud sync. Your desktop data file will remain stable. You may also want to restore prior to the cloud sync.
    @jeffarmstrong ,
    I concur with @GeoffG 's response, but I'd like to put more emphasis on his last sentence.
    The Sync process messed up your data file by creating duplicate account registers (not categories) Checking and Mastercard.
    IMHO, what you need to do is

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Click the "Sign in as a different user" link immediately above the "Mobile and Web" group.
    3. Sign out, then sign back in to your Quicken account using your current (correct) Quicken ID, but on the following screen make sure you select the "Don't use mobile" option and move through the remainder of the process. 
      [Please note: The mobile sync option is the default here.]

• jeffarmstrong
    jeffarmstrong Member ✭✭
    OK, here's my latest.

I believe I have sync turned off, thank you for the detailed steps, @UKR! Why anyone would ask if I have used sync without warning to stay away from it baffles me (by the way, not directed at you, @UKR!). Oh well, it's the internet, after all!

After turning off sync, all transactions dated after early to mid April, 2018 were gone again. For example, when in Checking, I have selected the following:

All Dates
    Any Type
    All Transactions

This work was all done on my laptop, I do not use Carbonite on the laptop nor do I have the Synology backup running on the laptop (in fact, all Synology software has been removed). I am still absolutely stumped by this turn of events! As mentioned in my prior posts, I have been using Quicken for many years, never experiencing anything like this.

Why is backup seemingly running successfully, with no error messages being displayed, but the data is corrupted during the process?

What really has me stumped is the fact that this issue is occurring not only on my laptop, but also my desktop. Also, the fact that the transactions lost seem to consistently be anything after early to mid April 2018.

I'm not certain when Quicken has been most recently updated on my PC's (laptop and desktop). I do believe, however, that I am running the same version of Quicken on both machines. Is it possible that a bug has become active or apparent with this version of Quicken I am currently running?
  • jeffarmstrong
    jeffarmstrong Member ✭✭
    I have tried again. I opened a recent file, backed up in early August, 2019, prior to all these issues becoming apparent to me. Once the file was open, I took a quick look across several different accounts and it appeared that all transactions entered up to that date were present.

I ran backup again and it appeared there were no errors, at least none reported, no error messages presented to me while running backup or after. When the backup process was complete, all transactions after early to mid April 2018 were again gone.

It seems to me that the problem is occurring during the backup process.
This discussion has been closed.