Save Split Transactions Like In The OLD OLD Quicken Versions

Is it now after many many updates possible to have split transactions saved and then the next occurrence simply edit them and save? I like to use splits for my monthly credit cards and simply edit the entries the next month. I OLD Quicken (say 2007) you could do this but the new Quicken seems crippled in this regard even after many many updates trying to bring the Windows & Mac versions together. Please advise. Thanks!

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of creating and trying to maintain a convoluted multiple splits transaction, it would be much easier to create one credit card account register in Quicken for each real credit card you have. Record all your credit card purchase transactions individually into the credit card account register as you make each purchase.
    When making your monthly credit card payment transaction, full balance or just a partial amount, record a simple transfer transaction into your checking account register, transferring the amount to the credit card account register, e.g. [ABC VISA]
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree 100% with what @UKR wrote above. But, just fore the record, you can "re-use" transactions, just as you could in Quicken 2007. If you have a Payee called "ABC Credit Card" and it has 20 splits, the next time you type "ABC Credit Card" for the Payee, Quicken will auto-fill the same amount, memo, and splits as your previous transaction. This is useful for lot of recurring transactions, but again, for credit cards, you are much better off entering the transactions individually in a separate credit card account and using a simple transfer from checking to credit card when you pay your bill.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • alruialrui Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > I agree 100% with what @UKR wrote above. But, just fore the record, you can "re-use" transactions, just as you could in Quicken 2007. If you have a Payee called "ABC Credit Card" and it has 20 splits, the next time you type "ABC Credit Card" for the Payee, Quicken will auto-fill the same amount, memo, and splits as your previous transaction. This is useful for lot of recurring transactions, but again, for credit cards, you are much better off entering the transactions individually in a separate credit card account and using a simple transfer from checking to credit card when you pay your bill.

Thanks for your reply, how does one accomplish what you describe as "just as you could in Quicken 2007"? That has never happened for me since I "upgraded". Is there something in the preferences I'm missing? Please advise.

Thanks Again
    ALR
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I have to jump in here and add my 2 cents.

There is a MUCH better way to do it.  You should not be splitting out the payment.

Just in case you are entering your credit card bills  the wrong way…..
    The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. Then when you pay the bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account (not a category).   Then if or when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer Mac versions have a separate Transfer column.

I used to do it the wrong way for years!  Then I wised up and now enter them properly. I would split my credit card payment into all the categories on one transaction in my checking account. And since I always pay more than the bill I would need to figure the difference and put it to another category.  But then I needed to have them entered on the date the charges actually happened. So I finally set up a credit card account. It makes it much easier to enter and balance!

And if you split your credit card payment into the categories and some of the categories are Transfers to the same Account  it will lump all them together and make 1 transaction in the Transfer Account.  See  what Jim found out here
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7291250/a-transfer-does-not-post-from-a-credit-card-split-transaction-in-checking

Jim said........
    I have determined that the asset account 'total' is ok.  It was consolidating the transactions from one CC payment and transferring them to the asset account in one lump sum, e.g. if there were three Amazon purchase for $100 each, even though I split them separately, they transferred over as $300 and of course I lost all the carefully crafted memo lines. 

Here's a list of some other reasons why you should do it this way…..
    You don't have to wait to make the payment and split it out
    You won't run out of split lines (In older versions there's only 30 lines)
    You can use both the payee and memo fields for more description
    You don't have to figure out the difference if you pay a different amount
    Then your Credit Card Account will exactly match your statement
    Charges get entered with the right date (better at year end for taxes)
    You can enter all charges to date, not just what's on the bill - then you can see what you still owe
    You won't forget what a charge was for if you enter it right away from the receipt

• alruialrui Member ✭✭
    I appreciate the input but I have a system that has worked for oh I dont know say 20 years so I'm not really wanting to change. I would like to know how to get the splits to act the way they used to and the way Jacobs says they should. Bottom line is they dont. Any thoughts?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30
    "so I'm not really wanting to change."
    Your issue is a direct, and predictable result of  your "system".
    SO,  change your system, or live with the issue.  Current versions of QMac aren't QM2007,  and won't have the same features/functionality for several years to come.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    @alrui you simply type the name of a Payee in Quicken, and when you select the Payee and Tab beyond the Payee field, Quicken fills in all the details from your latest transaction for this Payee — including memos and splits. Are you not seeing this?

This is useful for certain types of transactions with many splits – for example, a paycheck.  And for other types of recurring transactions which are identical, or only change the amount, from month to month – like your electric bill or cable bill. As others have explained above, it is not particularly useful for credit cards for many reasons, but the simplest one is because your charges from one month to the next are, of course, going to be different. So I’m not sure exactly what you’ve done in Quicken 2007 that you’re trying to replicate in Quicken 2019.
  • alruialrui Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > @alrui you simply type the name of a Payee in Quicken, and when you select the Payee and Tab beyond the Payee field, Quicken fills in all the details from your latest transaction for this Payee — including memos and splits. Are you not seeing this?
    >
    > This is useful for certain types of transactions with many splits – for example, a paycheck.  And for other types of recurring transactions which are identical, or only change the amount, from month to month – like your electric bill or cable bill. As others have explained above, it is not particularly useful for credit cards for many reasons, but the simplest one is because your charges from one month to the next are, of course, going to be different. So I’m not sure exactly what you’ve done in Quicken 2007 that you’re trying to replicate in Quicken 2019.

Many of my business expenses on various cards are the same so simply editing the splits works, for example if I have 20 entries for fuel expense I simly edit the amount for each and I'm done. Works for me. No, I'm not seeing anything fill in when I tab from payee after clicking on the line item. Please advise.

Thanks Again
    ALR
  • alruialrui Member ✭✭
    OK, I just did an experiment and entered a new line item using the + button. Then I entered "Chase Visa" and tabbed and it pulled up a pre filled split. The difference is I'm editing the transactions downloaded from my bank account. That said how do we get the same behavior from the downloaded transactions?

Thanks
    ALR
    You've clarified one thing, but confused me on another. Are you downloading transactions from your checking account or from your credit card account?

If you're downloading from your credit card account, then that would be the individual transactions coming into a Quicken credit card account -- which is what several people here have encouraged you to do.

But are you only downloading transactions from your checking account? So you're just downloading the one transaction when you pay your credit card bill? Of course, the bank doesn't know anything about the splits you want to turn that payment into.

If you want, you could manually enter a payment transaction for Chase Visa, which will autofill with all the splits you used previously. Edit the amount to be the amount of your new credit card bill. Then download the transaction from your bank. It will either auto-match with the one you entered manually, or you can drag one of the tranbdsactionbs over the other and quicken should merge them. Or you could just delete the one downloaded from the bank and leave the one you created manually.

I thought you were doing your credit cards this way because you didn't download in Quicken. (There are many quicken users who prefer to enter transactions manually, for a variety of reasons.) But since you download your bank account transactions, I'm puzzled why you don't download your credit card transactions as well. That would give you all the details, on the right dates and with the right amounts, for all your credit card transactions, instead of having to edit the splits manually every month. It just feels like you're swimming upstream against what Quicken is designed to do for you.
  • alruialrui Member ✭✭
    I found a workaround, if I simply duplicate a split transaction that I have already entered data for then make a few edits to the duplicate before saving I'll save a ton of time over re-entering all the transactions month to month. Thanks for all of your input folks.
This discussion has been closed.