Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Crashes Multiple Times a Week

I'm running Quicken Premier Version R21.16, which should be the latest. Since the update before this one, the program crashes at odd (inconsistently triggered) times, generally 2-4 times weekly (I use/update daily, infrequently multiple times per day). After this morning's crash, most bank nicknames names show N/A, as do numerous payee and memo fields. Closing and reopening the program did not solve this problem.

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is unusual. I would suggest uninstalling the program with the following utility. Reinstall Quicken with the mondo patch. Then I would validate your data file, File>File Operations>Validate.

Update and Mondo Patch: 2018/2019 Release of Quicken for Windows (Subscription Product)
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Hecky
    Hecky Member ✭✭
    OK, I uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken Premier (desktop). It still shows N/A for some account nicknames, payees, and in the memo field. I did a one-step update which appeared to partially work (for most accounts). Then I changed the account names from N/A to a nickname (wouldn't do the 1st one I tried - said that name was already being used). Named all accounts. Some updated, some didn't. I'll try again tomorrow morning after overnight processing to see what happens. So far, this isn't perfect, but maybe it will shake out.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Do you have a backup you could try restoring?
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭
    Hey, I have exactly the same problem, has wiped out most of my account names, all vendors in transactions, NA all over the place. Same latest version, Premiere for Windows. Something badly wrong. Working on file validate and scratching through backups. THIS IS BAD.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭
    File repair not able to fix, says "Damaged Data Block" about 100 times. See pic attached.
  • Hecky
    Hecky Member ✭✭
    Greg the Geek, here's what I've done since the last time I wrote. Re-named accounts, downloaded transactions for the 2 biggest problems - Citi credit card (which had apparently changed some download thing) and Schwab checking (stopped downloads and re-started again). Spent hours deleting downloaded Citi transactions already in my file. Schwab was a complete mess - no transactions before May 2019 even though the account has been open almost 2 years. Decided I'd just restore a prior file from before these problems started. Downloaded a backup from early July. Worse and worse. Virtually all accounts and payees were named N/A. Uninstalled Quicken and all associated files. I had a terrible time the other day finding where, on the Quicken website, to re-download my software. I finally found it the other day, but can't find it today. If I click on "my account" the screen never loads, even if I right-click "reload tab." I'm really frustrated!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Unfortunately, it sounds like you have Windows problems as well. What web browser are you using to access quicken.com? What version of Windows?
  • Hecky
    Hecky Member ✭✭
    I clicked One Step Update > All and Quicken stopped responding. I tried rebooting Quicken and updating numerous times. Then I tried doing it 1 account at a time. Worked for my bank account, credit card, but any time I tried to update a Schwab account, Quicken hung up and needed to be rebooted. Looked for a new issue on Quicken and instructions on Schwab websites, but found nothing either place. Haven't changed passwords.
  • Hecky
    Hecky Member ✭✭
    Turns out my file was corrupted. Since I hadn't been uploading to the cloud, I lost over 10 years of data (although I had exported a lot of reports onto spreadsheets). It took many, many hours to reconstruct 2019. That was the best I could do. I've got some thumb drives with old back-ups, but any attempt to open them has met with failure, and I'm afraid to try again.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    didn't you have any recent backups taken by Quicken prior to the problem first occurring?
    Now that you're up and running again ...

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and always goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [5] (or more, your choice) backup copies.

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2017-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS!

• Hecky
    Hecky Member ✭✭
    The file I spent many, many hours re-building in early Sept (for 2019 only) also began showing signs of being corrupted. It crashed more than once while I was trying to accept downloaded transactions.

So Thursday I found an old (June 2019) file on a flash drive from before the first corruption problem (I think). I was able to open it! It went all the way back to 1/1/2001 when I started using Quicken. I was thrilled! It worked for 2 days while I spent many hours updating and reconciling the missing period between June and now. But now this file is also showing signs of being corrupted - it has crashed twice while I'm inputting data. Maybe it's just got too much data in it.

Something bad is happening. This morning I downloaded reports of all transactions from the big 20 year file into Excel. I'm tempted to just discontinue using Quicken altogether and keep spreadsheets. I loved this program. Until the latest updates and patches seem to have ruined it. Or maybe it no longer is compatible with the Windows updates I'm getting.

I'm an experienced user who LOVES using this program. But unless I can figure out why it can't retain a file, and stop spending hundreds of hours to keep recreating what I need, I'm going to stop spending money and stick with spreadsheets! As you can tell, I'm some kind of frustrated! Again!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup? Have you checked your hard drive for errors?
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited October 2019
    Hello Hecky,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

What version/release of Quicken are you using? You may find that under Help>About Quicken

Is this issue still occurring? If so, do you receive any error messages? To find bank download errors, go to Tools>One Step Update Summary. This will show all accounts included in the last One Step Update as well as the status and any error codes received.

Otherwise, do you receive any other error messages or the option to report a problem once the crash occurs?

It sounds like this may be tied into the ongoing troubles you've been experiencing here.

I recommend following the advice and direction provided by @UKR and @Greg_the_Geek on the other thread, as it is a great starting point in determining what may be causing the crash, as well as the other issues that have been occurring. 

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Natalie

• Hecky
    Hecky Member ✭✭
    Hi Quicken Natalie,
    I am running 2019 Quicken Premier. Version is R22.12. I did a LONG Quicken chat at the beginning of these problems. The person helping me was the one who pointed to the file corruption. I re-downloaded Quicken at that point. Started a new file, etc. Thought my 20 years of data was gone forever and started reconstructing.

As my last post said, I haven't lost my earlier version of the 20 year file yet - I'm just seeing signs that something is probably wrong. I do not get any error messages. It just clocks (round blue moving circle) and shuts down. A Microsoft pop-up window comes up most of the time saying they're reporting it to Microsoft - not that this helps. I re-open Quicken after waiting 30 seconds or so and it keeps working until the next crash - sometimes fast, sometimes hours or a couple of days. Ultimately, I don't trust the file. I'm saving it multiple times a day now, but if it's corrupted, it won't matter how often I save when I try to restore from a corrupted file. I'll look at what @UKR and @Greg_the_Geek suggested on the separate thread. I'm pretty skeptical about trying anything right now.

Also, at some point, I stopped uploading the old (20 year) file to the cloud. The chat person said I could have restored from there. So I started saving the reconstructed file to the cloud. Now that I got the 20 year file to work, I can't figure out how to upload it to the cloud. If it's corrupted, will that matter? Thanks.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup? Have you checked your hard drive for errors?
  • Hecky
    Hecky Member ✭✭
    Not ignoring Greg_the_Geek - have been too busy to attack this. I'll try everything you suggest and report back, but it might be a few days. Thanks for your continued attention.
  • Hecky
    Hecky Member ✭✭
    @Greg_the_Geek, I went into Windows Defender, but once click "Virus & Threat Protection, I a new Windows pop up that doesn't look like the screen shot in the link. There is no link for "manage ransomeware protection." When I search for it and click it, it says the administrator hasn't given me permission to access this. I get free McAfee with my AT&T email, and it looks like that's what is responding tho this request (maybe). Meanwhile, it says there are no threats, and the McAfee virus protection and firewall are turned on. I've sort of reached the end of my knowledge. My path is Documents>Quicken>Backup. Maybe I put it there at some point, because I might have expected it to be in C:>Program Files (x86)>Quicken. I am not using OneDrive because it wanted me to pay for more storage. I'm not using DropBox because I had a disastrous problem with it when I opened something that seemed legitimate (from my son-in-law) and ended up infecting every client of both my accountant and my home contractor. I never thought of Google back up. When I downloaded the new Quicken with the problems in August, it got me to the Quicken cloud, but when I went back to the file from June, I didn't see any option to do that (I think I had stopped using it some time earlier). I don't know how to check my hard drive for errors. I don't know how to check Windows for errors. I'm good with Microsoft Office programs and Quicken (and decent with QuickBooks), but that's about as far as I've gone on my own. Every single back up file I've tried to open from my hard drive or flash drives now has data issues.