why have all my transactions disappeared after updated to the latest release?

David FrancisDavid Francis Member ✭✭
where are my transactions? All have disappeared in all bank accounts. [rant redacted]

Best Answers

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hello All,

This issue is now resolved.  Though it appeared that user data was "disappearing", the root cause was a display issue that has been resolved.

If you continue to experience this issue for any reason, a Validate & Repair of the Quicken Data File restores the missing data.  Just go to the File > File Operations > Validate & Repair option and check the box to "Validate File".

Thank you for your patience and help in resolving this issue!

Sarah

Answers

• Jay EnglishJay English Member ✭✭
    The last update changed transactions and balances across several credit card and bank accounts. Everytime I try and start over with a backup or copy it does the same thing when I download new transactions. This makes my Quicken file worthless. Help!
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• philcookphilcook Member
    Five days ago, I updated my bank account, and everything was reconciled. Today, I downloaded transactions again, and the online balance didn't match the ending balance. After much tedious searching, I discovered a previously entered and reconciled transaction from three months back had been deleted. I've had this problem many times before. Not happy!!! I have years of records in Quicken, and I can't afford to search back endlessly for some entry that might have been deleted.

Is there a fix for this?
  • D-TwoD-Two Member ✭✭
    Phil, I can't comment on a "fix" but I saw the same thing start to happen to me last week. The way I noted it was that it started repeatedly asking me for my transaction password, and I was able to correlate that with when my transaction downloading was happening -- I think from the "Sync" phase with my mobile data. I reverted (a few times) to a recent backup, and turned off the mobile-sync for now. The "CYA" for me was to move the "ask before" date for the Transaction Password to something very recent, say, 2 months ago... That should allow you to catch anything before much damage is done and you have to revert. Good luck.
  • ljonasljonas Member ✭✭
    When I opened Quicken this morning, it wanted to process an update which I allowed. Now, several entries from this year have disappeared, mostly deposit entries.

Has anyone else had this problem?
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859015/version-r21-16

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Tom SawyerTom Sawyer Member ✭✭
    Hi Folks,
    Re: Quicken Deluxe 2019 Version R21.16 Build 27.1.21.16

I have been using Quicken for about 20 years.
    Opened the program this morning looked at my main checking account register.
    There were no transactions showing after June 2016 !!
    Panic!

The same issue occurred in three credit card accts.

I changed the filters and search choices and finally all the transactions showed in most, but not all my accts. I also changed the date sort function and hit the reset button for filters

I can down load the register and see all the transactions, but they are not showing in the quicken register.

Please Help !

Many thanks in advance

Tom
  • Jay EnglishJay English Member ✭✭
    I've been through the steps you suggested through super validate. I've been able to reconcile and update all accounts by doing them individually except for American Express. Everytime I try to deactivate online updates for American Express regardless of which of three Amex accounts I try it corrupts my data across several accounts. Thoughts?
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you syncing to Mobile / Web app?
    If yes, please do this:
    Restore your Quicken data file to a good backup. Do NOT Sync to Mobile for now.
    Deactivate all Amex accounts, then reactivate and be sure to correctly LINK each account to the existing account registers.
    Finally Reset Sync to have a completely new Sync file uploaded to the server.

Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:

How to reset Sync to Cloud

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Under the "Mobile and Web" group to the right, if present, click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    Hey Sherlock - thanks for your reply. I actually have windows defender turned off due to using Norton Security .
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried exiting Quicken and then restarting it? If that fails, do you have a backup you could restore?
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • Anyone lose detail in an account after an update. Does anyone know how to get this fixed.
    Well - I was able to get all my accts to show all transactions again.
    Method:
    ** Changing all filter settings and reset
    ** Run reports that would include transactions for all accts
    ** Click on Date Sort
    ** Use the search function and then clicked delete to clear the search box
    **** I did all the above several times
    **** I also opened and closed Quicken - without backing up
    **** I rebooted my computer

****** Scary Stuff

** FWIW I back up Quicken every I make any changes to the accts

I would still like to know if others have had similar problems

Thanks,

Tom
  • HowardHoward Member ✭✭
    After the most recent update [yr. 2019, Version R21.16, Build 27.1.21.16], data has just disappeared from several account registers. There is one banking account that has NO transactions in the register, but still shows the most recent balance for this account in the Account Bar. How can that be?
  • Jim BaileyJim Bailey Member ✭✭
    I have Quicken Premier for Windows. Today, after doing the one step update for my accounts, i discovered that all my data in my various bank and credit card accounts was deleted back to April, 2018, 16 months ago. Fortunately, I had a backup from yesterday and was able to restore everything without any loss of data, but that is frightening. Any idea what happened? I'm very concerned about the many bugs in Quicken, and the issues seem to be multiplying.
  • mikegahanmikegahan Member
    I update daily. A few days ago, I noticed that the system could not sign into one of the accounts. I checked credentials at both the institution, which i could sign into, and on Quicken; they match.

Today, transactions all the way back to 2006 have disappeared in multiple accounts. How do I get them back?
  • QW26QW26 Member
    I'm a very experience Quicken user (Quicken Home & Business since it came out and other versions before that) and currently use the latest version -- 2019.

Today, when I opened quicken h&b, data only appeared until Aug 22, 2018 (today's date is 8/27/2019). I thought I must have sorted the registry column by date wrong or had a filter, but no, all my numerous accounts ended on 8/22/18 (about a year old).

Fortunately, I have numerous backups on different media and restored last night's backup ok. I then validated and super validated the restored file without errors. Whew. (I closed Quicken after validating and super validating.)

That was scary! After checking for the obvious things (e.g., date column sorting and filters/search-limiting) in the bad file and restoring data fine from a backup, I wondered if a bug caused some sort of spontaneous end-of-year-copy chop off (though I've never used the end-of-year-copy feature and don't plan to). I also wondered if I reached some kind of limit in my Quicken data file (currently 126M) that caused a glitch, but after restoring data, I entered new invoices and other info ok and backed up as I went. I closed Quicken and reopened it several times and it seems ok.

Regarding viruses causing it, that's unlikely since I'm running Quicken Home & Business for Windows inside a virtual machine on a Mac (in the latest version of VMWare Fusion running Windows 7 only used for Quicken Home & Business). I don't email, browse or run any other program there, though I installed Malwarebytes antivirus and scanned ok then removed it. This rig is a pure Quicken H&B Windows installation.

Anyway, I'm ok because I have so many backups on different media but it was CRAZY seeing about a year's worth of data missing in all my accounts, e.g., checking, savings, brokerage, accounts receivable, etc.

Before posting here, I searched online and saw a post in June 2019 about the same issue (only had data through August 2018) but with regular Quicken 2013. That post was mostly ignored since the 2013 version isn't supported, so no one offered help. But that post and my experience are clues for Quicken's programmers and a warning for everyone else: back up here, there and everywhere (local disk, external disk, online backup)!

PS I saved the corrupt? data file but don't want to submit it to Quicken since it has all my finances (or up until Aug 2018) in it.
    There have been a number of reports of similar behavior with the R21.16 update.  Did you happen to notice if the balances in the Account Bar were accurate or if the missing transactions would appear in reports?
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • QW26QW26 Member
    I think the balances were off but I don’t remember for sure. I didn’t run any reports. I was kind of shell shocked and went straight to my backups after examining all my accounts. I first noticed it when I tried to add an expense to a new invoice but the expense wasn’t there. That’s when the situation unraveled.

Later this week, if I feel up to it, I might reopen the messed up data file a take a look at balances, etc and post info here.
  • MicheleMichele Member ✭✭
    Did a download today and on numerous credit card and brokerage accounts all detail data was wiped out. I have detail going back at least 10 years. GONE! Brokerage accounts effected too! HELP
  • K.O. (Win-Premier)K.O. (Win-Premier) SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am seeing other posts related to the same item and as super user I have noted this through super user channels.  Same thing has happened to me.  Hopefully there will be a fix soon.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I did restore but this doesn't solve the problem next time I download.
    For the record, I am using Win 10 Pro 64 bit operating system. Version of quicken is R21.16 and build 27.1.21.16
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Michele ,

What is the Build information for Windows 10? Did you review the FAQ? Did you restart the computer after getting the Update before restoring the Manual Backup?

Have you checked for File System error?

Glary Utilities:  https://www.glarysoft.com/
    Build 18362. I followed your instructions above and this sort of worked. The history seems to have been restored and did not obliterate when I downloaded again. However, when I booted up the program my banking total changed before my eyes without my initiating a download. The summary banking number is far less than the sum of the various bank accounts.
  • RickFlournoyRickFlournoy Member ✭✭
    edited August 28
    I have the same issue. I'm running Quicken 2019 R 21.16 Build 27.1.21.16 on a Windows 10 machine.