One Step Update issues due to to 2 Factor Auth failure - QWin (updated title)

Has anyone else seen this scenario:

* Run One Step Update and respond to Pop-up asking for 2FA code communication method, usually on multiple accounts.
* Never get Pop-up window to enter 2FA code (on one or more accounts).
* One Step Update Summary shows ALL GREEN.

Knowing that an account should be showing a new transaction, I went back and ran Update Now on that particular account, and it did show an new transaction (Red Flag).

I believe that the One Step Update Summary Report should show a failure to complete the 2FA process as an Error, or at least as a Warning.
Regards, Mike Duncan
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Mike Duncan

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this experience with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

May I ask, for the accounts that have 2FA required, are they connected to download transactions through Express Web Connect or the Direct Connect method?

If using the Express Web Connect method, please take a minute and review the information available here, and let us know if this helps to explain why the window to enter the 2FA code does not appear. 

Please also attempt to update the accounts using "Update Now" instead of the One Step Update, do you now receive the window to enter the 2FA code?  

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • rconger1rconger1 Member
    edited October 4
    about a week ago i was no longer able to connect to my credit union. I have tried removing the connection and set it up to no avail
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    More info needed.
    Which version of Quicken (Help-About Quicken x.x.x.x ?)
    Which financial institution?  Maybe they stopped supporting Q.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

Quicken Deluxe 2019 Ver R22.12 27.1.22.12

Financial institution is Impact Credit Union which is still listed in the drop down of add a new account
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What SPECIFICALLY happens when you try do connect?  Any error messages or codes?
    What happens when you have deactivated the account, and tried to re-connect?
    AND, since Impact supports both Web Connect (initiated from their website) and Express Web Connect (via One Step Update), have you tried, on a one time basis, downloading via Web Connect and importing into Q?  That sometimes "shakes the cobwebs loose".

Impact Credit Union    https://www.impactcu.org/    419-547-7781    https://www.impactcu.org/    ACTIVE         BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT         BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    At first I did get an error however i am not exactly sure of the code perhaps cc-505 I have since worked with tech support and deactivated the accounts.
    Not while trying to reconnect my accounts to Impact I get an error that Quicken can not connect to Impact. It happens right after I chose what method should they use to send me a one time code.. I do always get the codes in my email or text dependent on how I chose.
    I did try you suggestion of download and import that did not fix it either. I am not sure that the import actually brought anything in as I had no transactions to accept or add.
  • j_reedj_reed Member
    I have the same issue with Impact Credit Union. I get the verification code from the CU, but there is no window within Quicken to input this code. I even tried to create a new Quicken file and connect to the CU, but this failed also. My issue started around 9/20/2019. I've been in touch with Quicken support and they escalated the issue to the support team - none of the fixes they provided work. I'm not sure why this is taking so long to resolve......
    edited October 16
    I also was on the phone yesterday with Q support they acknowledge the problem and have escalated the issue to the support team. [removed - off topic]
  • Azrael1018Azrael1018 Member
    edited October 31
    QFW R22.17 27.1.22.17
    One Step Update - Quicken (bank) wants a code form my bank 2 establish identity.
    Quicken (bank) asks for mobile phone number to send code to. I supply it. Bank sends it.
    Quicken does not wait for me to enter code, thus bank does not give access to quicken and account does not get updated.
    How do I get Quicken to wait for me to enter the code?
  • Mark RennaMark Renna Member ✭✭
    edited November 1
    Valley Bank now requires a text and code to continue OSU. I called and they said this is the new way due to security. What an inconvenience! Calling them again when I can speak to the online department.
  • jack.kolesarjack.kolesar Member ✭✭
    I can no longer download transactions for my accounts from here. I've tried resetting the account. Are there any known issues?
  • Mike DuncanMike Duncan Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Sarah, thanks for pointing me to your post on "How Quicken connects to your Financial Institution...". It explains why I am not always seeing the window to enter the 2FA code for those accounts using Express Web Connect.

How does the Aggregator Server know the appropriate 2FA code at the time it does its scrape? Hopefully, it doesn't know the code, since that would defeat the purpose of 2FA. With that in mind, it would imply that Bank Accounts that interface through Express Web Connect and have 2FA set up, should not be accessed using One Step Update.

Am I correct on this?
    Regards, Mike Duncan
  • GeoDoschGeoDosch Member ✭✭
    edited October 31
    Several days ago I was performing a 1-Step Update, and a dialog box opened saying my Credit Union wanted my Two-factor authentication (2FA) code, and there was a dropdown where I could select what phone number the code could be sent to. I selected one, clicked next, and got a prompt to enter the code, which had been sent via SMS. All this is exactly how it should work.

The next time I did a 1-Step Update, I again got the dialog box asking me to select the phone number the code should be texted to. I was surprised that I was being prompted again so quickly, but again selected the number. However, as soon as I clicked [Next] the update completed. I was not sent the code via SMS, Quicken did not prompt me to enter the code, and apparently it wasn't necessary, since new transactions were downloaded.

This is apparently a bug that it's prompting for the number to send the code to, but then not asking for the code, yet still updating successfully.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    More details, please.
    Do you use Quicken Mac or Quicken for Windows? US or Canadian version?
    What version, edition level and release of Quicken are you using? 
    Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.

What bank are you having issues with?

Quicken Premier Windows US version R23.14 build 27.1.23.14
    I'm having this issue with Affinity Federal Credit Union.
    So how do I report this problem to Quicken?
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30
    I'm guessing you mean - two factor authentication - (2FA) -
    where they send you a text message with a code to be entered...
    There are a few other topics that are popping up with - 2FA issues -

Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
    yes. Exactly... https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7861106/usaa-two-step-security

I called Valley.com and they say they know and they are working on it. I have heard this before... Fingers crossed.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review a download log file on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

This may have to be escalated to and reviewed by the Express Web Connect team.

• scott47scott47 Member ✭✭
    I was also having problems with DCU downloads. My problem was that Quicken wanted to send me a code from DCU which I would enter. If I did that, things worked correctly. But I had to go through that process every time!

I complained to DCU last night but haven't heard back.

I just tried downloading transactions from DCU right now and it worked correctly.....maybe this problem is fixed and yours will work now too (?).
  • JTSJTS Member ✭✭
    > @scott47 said:
    > I was also having problems with DCU downloads. My problem was that Quicken wanted to send me a code from DCU which I would enter. If I did that, things worked correctly. But I had to go through that process every time!
    >
    > I complained to DCU last night but haven't heard back.
    >
    > I just tried downloading transactions from DCU right now and it worked correctly.....maybe this problem is fixed and yours will work now too (?).

Give it a day, and they seem to query for authentication again. This has been happening to me, every day for about a week.

One other note, I am on the Quicken Mac version, so its safe to assume its not the desktop software.
    > @UKR said:
    > If you haven't done > so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on
    > the phone and request help. 

I'm hoping to find out if others have been experiencing this problem. That information will save a lot of time, since I can let support know that the issue isn't specific to my system.
  • savages_fblsavages_fbl Member
    I've been seeing the same issues since last week with my Texans Credit Union accounts. Using Quicken Windows subscription. I started seeing it with Quicken 2017, then upgraded to the Windows subscription to see if that would solve the problem, but it does not.

Even when I do the 2-factor authentication, it still does not download any transactions. I have to basically reset the account every time I want to download any transactions for either of the 2 accounts I have setup.

Would be interested to know if anyone has found a solution.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    While you're waiting to hear from others, please do not hesitate to call Support and let them start researching the issue with your specific bank. You do want this problem resolved, don't you?
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Azrael1018

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

If you haven't already, I would recommend selecting "Update Now" from the account register Account Actions gear wheel icon.

Update Now will initiate a request to update, for only that Financial Institution, and provide a dialogue window to enter the requested code and complete the update.

Please let us know how it goes, thank you.

Sarah
  • JimJim Member ✭✭
    Same problem here. If the answer is to do all updates, 1 account at a time then it makes the One Step Update totally useless!!

This only started after the CU disaster over the weekend. Am I going to have to do the 2 step authentication every time I update my CU account now?

Please say NO!!

3 bugs in 1 month... this is not going well...
  • JonJon Member ✭✭
    edited October 31
    I am running Quicken Deluxe Windows R22.17.

In the past few days, my credit union (MIT FCU) frequently asks for a registration code (2-factor authentication) when I attempt to update my accounts. In the past, it asked for such a code ONCE when you first set-up the account for online services. Now, it requests a code whenever I start quicken or if several hours have elapsed between account updates.

I have deactivated and reactivated all affected accounts. I have also tried resetting the accounts. The problem persists
    Anyone else having such an issue?
  • K109K109 Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issues with EECU Credit Union. It seems from people that know more than I that this issue was anticipated with Quicken's recent updates. jimtr said in response to the recent CEO message on Oct. 22:

"several of my banks are going to require 2FA which breaks the quicken update and forces me to manually download from each institution. What are you doing to keep the MFA requirement from breaking the one step update? "
  • K109K109 Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue, even when connecting through "update now".
  • K109K109 Member ✭✭
    Having the same issue with EECU Credit Union.