Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

File size limitation

I am running into a problem where Quicken is totally bogging down whenever I try to view an account, enter transactions or most other processes. I am running Quicken Deluxe 2019, v R21.17, Build 27.1.21.17. (membership is still valid). I have seen some comments about having any accounts with over 16K transactions and I do have 1 account that has 17,900 transactions. There are 17 other accounts (17,900, 4,268, 1,725, seven in the 100's, and 8 with less than 100 transactions). I have tried the file copy, validate and super validate with no improvement. Is there a limitation as to the number of transactions an account can have? If so, how would I archive off some of the older transactions?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file

If you want to reduce the number of transactions in a register, I suggest you reconcile the register, save a backup (press Ctrl + B), create a new manual register, move a range of the oldest transactions to the new register, enter a reconciled transfer transaction for the balance of the new register to the original register using the date of the last transaction transferred.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7160099/faq-how-do-i-move-transactions-between-quicken-accounts
  • Thanks! I have already read the entry on the size or capacity limitations and from what I see there, the only limitation on the number of transactions is based on hard disk space and I have plenty of space available. I may go the route you suggested for transferring the older transactions but was hoping that there would be an easier way to archive out old data. I guess I would like to try and figure out if that is the actual problem before trying to remove data from the file.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ffreeman said:
    Thanks! I have already read the entry on the size or capacity limitations and from what I see there, the only limitation on the number of transactions is based on hard disk space and I have plenty of space available. I may go the route you suggested for transferring the older transactions but was hoping that there would be an easier way to archive out old data. I guess I would like to try and figure out if that is the actual problem before trying to remove data from the file.
    There is an "easy way to archive out old data", but I agree, you should try to figure out if the number of transactions in the register is actually the cause of your issue.  One way to do that is to split the register as I described.  If there is no improvement, you simply restore the backup.

There have been many posts regarding slow response on systems with adequate resources.  Some of these have solutions.  For example, if you're using a VPN, Quicken may be continually polling for the region.  If you disable the VPN and allow Quicken to obtain the region once, you may reenable the VPN and Quicken should be happy.  Others have found they have what we've referred to as runaway reminders.  There the trick has been to set the system date back before the issue triggered and delete and recreate the problematic reminders.  Others have found that a specific Windows update triggered their issue.  The point is there are lot's possible reasons Quicken's performance may be impacted.  Unfortunately, to resolve the issue, you'll need to work your way through the possibilities.

If you really want to archive data, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7149937/faq-year-end-copy 
  • I have read about the issue with VPNs but am not using one as I found that anytime I was connected to the VPN, my one-step updates would all fail. I normally view reminders for the next 30 days but when I looked at them for the next year, everything seems to be legitimate and there are no duplicates or $0 reminders so I think that is okay as well. I will try to move everything over to another computer at home and see if I still get the same results but really do not know where to look from there. I have seen a couple of posts mentioning a 16,000 threshold in the number of transactions but that does not mesh with the official limits that are listed.