Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Security - Auto timeout & Quicken "Close File"

P. Maier
P. Maier Member ✭✭
There should be an option to set an auto log-off timer for an inactive interface; just as every online banking web site will log you out after a pre-determined period of inactivity.
It has happened more than once, that I would get distracted while working in Quicken and return days later to see the file still open on my desktop.
A real security risk, to be sure.
4 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Been posted several times. Seems to be a no brainer option that could be added via update. Most password managers have such a feature. One respondent says let Windows do it. That means Quicken is using Windows to protect user financial information. Latest Windows uses a 1 in 1000 password system for inactivity or your Microsoft account password.
  • Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I've given this a vote as I think it's a good idea, but I don't understand what you mean by a "1 in 1000" password for inactivity in Windows. That implies a three digit code is used by Windows, which it isn't; the normal account password is used to unlock a workstation that has locked because of inactivity.

This suggestion applies equally to Quicken for Mac too.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    And why would one need something for Quicken separate from the Windows Screen Saver / Inactivity Lock after [xx] minutes?
    If you need to protect your computer from unauthorized access by other family members, the cat, the three-year-old kid, etc. use Windows to lock your account when you step away from the computer (press Win-key + L).
    Set up regular Windows user accounts (without Admin privileges) for your other authorized family members. Properly done, they won't be able to access your Quicken data file from their accounts.

This is not getting my vote. It's not necessary to put more code in Quicken.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I'm not clear what the suggestion is. Are you suggesting Quicken should automatically close if I haven't updated any data after 5 minutes?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    I'm suggesting a user option that would allow Quicken to shut down after a user determined period (including never) if there has been no Quicken activity. Alternatively Quicken could demand re-entry of the password to wake up. Password managers do this already. Yes you could rely on Windows to lock out but this means a computer coming out of hibernation has an open Quicken file. This seems to detract from the security of Quicken encryption. As far as coding I have faith that Intuit has the competence. My mention of Windows 10's lock screen has an option for a simple pin code or the Microsoft account number. The first is not really secure. Anyhow, not a big deal to me but I thought it would be a nice feature which I would use. I was frankly surprised it wasn't there.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "P. Maier" ,

Don't use Quicken as a Browser, but use your own Desktop Browser. Quicken is not a Browser that Bookmarks sites.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21354.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.867

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• P. Maier
    P. Maier Member ✭✭
    I think I have been misunderstood. I am not using Quicken as a browser; can't imagine how that would even be possible. I am referring to the Quicken desktop application.
    There is nothing that will auto-close the application if it is left unattended.
    I only mentioned the reference to online banking as something to which one could equate the idea.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply close the Desktop Application and come back and open it again, the next time you want to use it. That's simple enough.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21354.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.867

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    terminology - I would call it an auto-CLOSE - since for the desktop software, you don't "log into it" - you open a password protected file, and then Close or Exit the program.

Sure - it's just an idea....  and for @thecreator - if the OP could know ahead of time they were not coming back, they would close the file - but hard to predict the future every time you get up and walk away 
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    P. Maier said:
    There should be an option to set an auto log-off timer for an inactive interface; just as every online banking web site will log you out after a pre-determined period of inactivity.
    It has happened more than once, that I would get distracted while working in Quicken and return days later to see the file still open on my desktop.
    A real security risk, to be sure.
    If you didn't do it yet, be sure to vote for your idea, creating an idea does not vote for it.
    As an option, I think this has merit.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were possible to vote against ideas, I would vote against this one.
    I can't think of any other desktop software that does this. Surely an Excel spreadsheet or Word document could potentially contain confidential information, but those applications don't automatically time out and close.
    Web sites time out because it's impractical to hold sessions open forever.
    IMHO, a better way to accomplish the goal would be to do it in Windows power options. Cause Windows to sleep after some number of minutes and require a password on wakeup.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Concur w/ Rocky!
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod

Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the Age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to Add your Vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

~~~***~~~
  • P. Maier
    P. Maier Member ✭✭
    > @"Rocket J Squirrel" said:
    > If it were possible to vote against ideas, I would vote against this one.I can't think of any other desktop software that does this. Surely an Excel spreadsheet or Word document could potentially contain confidential information, but those applications don't automatically time out and close.Web sites time out because it's impractical to hold sessions open forever.IMHO, a better way to accomplish the goal would be to do it in Windows power options. Cause Windows to sleep after some number of minutes and require a password on wakeup.(Image)

Other apps MAY contain sensitive information, but Quicken, by its very nature absolutely DOES. I could use Windows sleep function w/password on wake, but that would require me to configure the whole computer differently than the way I have it set up. Just doesn't seem like it would take a lot of coding to add the option to a Quicken update.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @P.Maier 
    What makes you think that Quickens implementation of your "Just doesn't seem like it would take a lot of coding to add the option to a Quicken update." programming change would be any simpler than RJS's suggestion of making two, very simple changes to the Power Options settings?
    How they implemented downloaded loans is a prime example of that, seemed like a simple thing to do, but they sure made it unwieldy and completely inflexible.  You have to be careful for what you ask a programmer for if you don't have final say.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • voiceofreason
    voiceofreason Unconfirmed, Member
    I was advised by a family member, who is currently holding a corporate position as head of data security, that hackers can get into your computer when it's "asleep", especially if a web browser is left open. It would therefore make sense for this to be an option. I don't see why this can't be a security feature that each individual user would have the choice to toggle on/off, with an additional option for "time of inactivity". Seems simple and noninvasive.
    I vote for this option.